Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2020 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2020, 05:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Siluck2

265/35/18 on 18x10 +35 with rolled fenders. Don’t know if this is STU legal, but you were asking about 265 so thought I’d post up I think this is -1.8 camber. Sorry I don’t know how to rotate the pic.
Your evo looks great with those wheels! Are you planning on autocrossing in STU? Nationals? The more evos the merrier.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 07:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
I'll also be running on 18x10 +35 Wedsport TC105X's on 265mm A052s. Running 20mm spacers up front with just a fender roll out back.

I get my lengthened JRZ's back on Friday and hope to be autocrossing this thing by Saturday and Sunday up here!
So you are good w/ no spacers/extended studs in the rear? If so, that is awesome. I haven't bought wheels yet (I'm waiting to see whether the STU rules pass since I am not running the Evo at anything this year) but it seems like the extra $ on the Weds, compared to the RPF1s, might be worth it if it means not needing longer studs.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 08:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
So you are good w/ no spacers/extended studs in the rear? If so, that is awesome. I haven't bought wheels yet (I'm waiting to see whether the STU rules pass since I am not running the Evo at anything this year) but it seems like the extra $ on the Weds, compared to the RPF1s, might be worth it if it means not needing longer studs.
I'm 98.345% sure there will be no need to run spacers/extended studs in the rear. This weekend will be the true test to see if I'm getting any tire deflection and rub on the trailing arm, however.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 06:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Wow, what a past couple of weeks. So 2 weekends ago I received what I thought were my front JRZ's. I took Friday off to get them installed and hopefully have her ready for that weekend to autocross locally. To make a long story short, I received someone else's JRZ's! Beyond frustrating to me, but it is what it is. I did get to autocross my buddies 997.2 GT3 and then a Corvette C6Z06 that weekend, so all was not lost.

I did receive my coilovers about 2 days ago and got them installed yesterday. I just need to get an alignment done here and let the testing begin!

EDIT: I did also finally get a chance to autocross an Evo 10 - MR. This was basic bolt on car, on Ohlins, 275 RE71R tires making in the 360whp range. Wow, the amount of rotation that rear has compared to say, the 8/9's I've driven is eye opening. I still can't get over how easy it was to get that car pointed where you wanted to, pretty much on command. I know it was mentioned before, but I would love to see what a Evo 10 could do in STU... Seems more than capable (granted this one wasn't a STU built car, just built for NASA rules).

I did 2 back to back runs. I must say, I'm not a fan of that transmission. I didn't do any sort of launching with it and I noticed on my 2nd run, you'd REALLY have to get on the gas early to get that transmission to "respond" else you will simply be slow in that thing. I'd love to drive a manual Evo 10 instead at some point, but beggars can't be choosers.

Last edited by LV///R; Jun 15, 2020 at 06:18 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 08:05 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
A manual EvoX I think can get it done in STU, as Talha (Forget his board name here) showed two years ago being fastest on day two when it was dry.

I havent dug enough into why the EvoX seems to rotate more for people beyond AYC but rotation really isnt that hard to get. Just make the rear do more work . Certainly gets tricky when you want rotation in some areas and stability or slight push in others. That's where the AYC probably shines.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
A manual EvoX I think can get it done in STU, as Talha (Forget his board name here) showed two years ago being fastest on day two when it was dry.

I havent dug enough into why the EvoX seems to rotate more for people beyond AYC but rotation really isnt that hard to get. Just make the rear do more work . Certainly gets tricky when you want rotation in some areas and stability or slight push in others. That's where the AYC probably shines.
Have you had the opportunity to autocross one? If not, I highly recommend it and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

It just feels different than any other Evo 8/9 I've ever driven, and I've driven/autocrossed countless numbers of them, among the vast array of coilovers/setups I've tried on my own. It reminds me much of a stockish NB/NC miata in ways, with how easy the rear rotates on entry and midcorner. Not necessarily on exit so much (at least from the limited amount of time I got) Granted, this Evo X was on the Ohlins off the shelf rates, so it definitely felt soft. But my mind has been opened.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 04:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
I had to dig but found this old post about the X

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...l#post11425688

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
I stumbled onto this as I was hanging out at CBRD this weekend. It's a Best Motoring comparison between the IX and the X on a very tight track. (Keep in mind, I don't know what the exact model options are on these cars, what tires, ACD, AYC, SAWC, etc because I do not speak Japanese ) Start at 49:48.
Best Motoring 2008 01New WRX STI ImprezaLexus IS F Skyline370GT EVO X - YouTube

You can hear "understeer" when he is driving the IX Some words translate very well.

IX: 23.0
X 5MT asc off JV-= off: 22.4
X 5MT asc off JV-= on: 22.1

Any idea what the JV-= is?

Anyway I was just really surprised that in a course designed to punish understeer, that the X was so much faster. I guess the magic computers work pretty well.
I assume it's a fancy-diff thing, but I dunno.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
Your evo looks great with those wheels! Are you planning on autocrossing in STU? Nationals? The more evos the merrier.
🤣🤣 no, I just posted the pic since someone asked about size. Not STU legal at all lol
Old Jul 2, 2020, 07:02 AM
EvoM Guru

20 people signed up for STU - 2020 Solo Nationals so far! 631 total registrants so far, which is obviously down from years past.

What's the likelihood this event will actually take place? Man, I'm excited and truly hope this happens. I have my doubts though.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
If you add Ladies class registrations in ST to their Open class registrations, STU actually has the biggest ST class so far (25 total compared to 24 for STS). I hope Nationals happens, but we'll see.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jim3142
If you add Ladies class registrations in ST to their Open class registrations, STU actually has the biggest ST class so far (25 total compared to 24 for STS). I hope Nationals happens, but we'll see.

I saw that, and that's crazy to me! Especially for the fact that we're almost at the same amount of drivers in STU compared to 2019!

STS, the class I competed in last year, is down almost 50% compared to 2019.

Old Jul 7, 2020, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There could be one more in STU if any of you have a seat for rent.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've driven both STU Evo 8 s and STU-ish EVO Xs. I did notice the Evo X rotates really nicely mid corner and on corner exit, thanks to S-AYC. It's comes in very handy in a sweeper. However I don't like the Evo X in slaloms because of S-AYC. S-AYC would cause the car that initiated a turn to keep turning and it seems the S-AYC system would get confused during quick direction changes and would try to keep the car turning when you are trying to reverse direction. That being said, I wonder if that could be fixed with a diff ECU flash. Has anyone looked at the new STU rules proposal? Proposal #28321. I'm liking what I'm seeing for the most part, the only thing I would change would be the tire size recommendations.

STU (AWD & RWD forced induction)....................
..............................295 STU
(RWD N/A & FWD)..........................
.......................................285 315

be changed to:
STU (AWD, & RWD mid-engine/ rear-engine)...................275
(RWD forced induction) ..................................................285
(RWD N/A & FWD)................................................................295

I think the Porsche Caymen would be too much of an overdog if allowed to run 315 wide tires. Plus I think the Evo X will actually become a competetive car in STU with 275 wide tires.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 03:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by BigT
There could be one more in STU if any of you have a seat for rent.
I have a co driver in my evo, else I would have considered it!

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
I've driven both STU Evo 8 s and STU-ish EVO Xs. I did notice the Evo X rotates really nicely mid corner and on corner exit, thanks to S-AYC. It's comes in very handy in a sweeper. However I don't like the Evo X in slaloms because of S-AYC. S-AYC would cause the car that initiated a turn to keep turning and it seems the S-AYC system would get confused during quick direction changes and would try to keep the car turning when you are trying to reverse direction. That being said, I wonder if that could be fixed with a diff ECU flash. Has anyone looked at the new STU rules proposal? Proposal #28321. I'm liking what I'm seeing for the most part, the only thing I would change would be the tire size recommendations.

be changed to:
(RWD N/A & FWD)................................................................295

I think the Porsche Caymen would be too much of an overdog if allowed to run 315 wide tires. Plus I think the Evo X will actually become a competetive car in STU with 275 wide tires.
I definitely agree with the X and the slaloms. I would love to have had more time in it to truly get a better grasp of its handling characteristics!
The following users liked this post:
BigT (Jul 7, 2020)
Old Jul 7, 2020, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya

be changed to:

You can fit 295’s on the Evo X. It will absolutely be very competitive.

I ran against a properly built cayman in my region in 2018 when I had my STU X. The owner also hired local hot shoe, national champ to help build and tune the car. They never gave me any problems and I was not too impressed with their car.

Quick Reply: 2020 STU Discussion