Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2020 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 04:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
I've driven both STU Evo 8 s and STU-ish EVO Xs. I did notice the Evo X rotates really nicely mid corner and on corner exit, thanks to S-AYC. It's comes in very handy in a sweeper. However I don't like the Evo X in slaloms because of S-AYC. S-AYC would cause the car that initiated a turn to keep turning and it seems the S-AYC system would get confused during quick direction changes and would try to keep the car turning when you are trying to reverse direction. That being said, I wonder if that could be fixed with a diff ECU flash. Has anyone looked at the new STU rules proposal? Proposal #28321. I'm liking what I'm seeing for the most part, the only thing I would change would be the tire size recommendations.

STU (AWD & RWD forced induction)....................
..............................295 STU
(RWD N/A & FWD)..........................
.......................................285 315

be changed to:
STU (AWD, & RWD mid-engine/ rear-engine)...................275
(RWD forced induction) ..................................................285
(RWD N/A & FWD)................................................................295

I think the Porsche Caymen would be too much of an overdog if allowed to run 315 wide tires. Plus I think the Evo X will actually become a competetive car in STU with 275 wide tires.
Can a Cayman fit 315s?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Can a Cayman fit 315s?
It is my understanding it can fit 285 up front and 315s (right diameter) in the rears. We have a really good Cayman driver locally who has trophied at Nats. Him and I went back and forth locally in our CS days. He's easily one of the fastest cars in STU locally with 265s. That car will get faster with 285s square.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
STU (AWD, & RWD mid-engine/ rear-engine)...................

That...right there....should be universal across all series.
P-car's and mid engines have the same advantage as us relatively speaking Vs a front engine car like a mustang.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 06:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm looking to build up an Evo for STU either this year or next. My heart wants an IX but it sounds like the X might be the better option with the new rules. My questions is which has the potential to be faster, the SST or the 5-speed? A lot of my local events benefit from launch control (I also do a local "track attack" series).

1. Evo IX or X for 2021+ STU?
2. SST or Manual on the X?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 07:09 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
For an STU build I think I might go for an EvoX. Front weight isnt much more than an 8/9 and most its extra weight is on the back end. Being able to fit more rubber and make a little more power with the STU rules puts that one as my choice.

If I was trying to win Nats, I would pick a manual. If I wanted a mixed use car, SST would be the way to go for max performance but expect to need it built.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 07:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
If I was trying to win Nats, I would pick a manual.
What makes you pick the manual in this case? I know a lot of the BMW and Porsche guys are picking dual clutch because they're just plain faster around the course.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

For autocross, its the weight. You only need to get the car in 2nd and leave it for almost all courses. For pro-solo the timing of a manual from other cars seems to be more consistent than the DSG guys. I know some cars you can only sit on the launch control a second before it deactivates and it becomes a hassle with trying to launch.

Also, I dont know if the things thats needed to make the DSG reliable is class legal for STU.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
I agree with Dallas. I would only go the manual route for the Evo X.

As noted above in a previous post I made, that transmission is unable to handle even minor boltons like STU would incorporate, before it overheats and starts getting wonky. The one I had a couple runs in started slipping, trying to power out of turns by its 2nd run. To describe it, it felt like massive amounts of turbo lag, but it was simply the transmission not being able to put the power down to the ground. Granted this is just my experience, but two other locals with Evo X MR's experienced the same troubles. One was basically stock too.

Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

On a side note, STU is down to 19 people attending for Nationals. I'm sure that number will probably continue to drop.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
On a side note, STU is down to 19 people attending for Nationals. I'm sure that number will probably continue to drop.
My codriver and I dropped earlier today, felt like the risks and drawbacks weren't worth it this year.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:00 PM
EvoM Guru

I agree. While I REEEEAAALLYYYY want a 3-peat for the car in SM, I'd rather avoid the risks associated with traveling 3500miles. And we're having a crushingly good year too
Old Aug 4, 2020, 05:10 AM
EvoM Guru

That stinks to hear, gentlemen. But I completely understand where you both are coming from. I really have my doubts this event will happen, but time will tell.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 05:17 AM
EvoM Guru

This is a random and odd last minute question, but we're not able to run a racing harness in STU, correct? It has to be the stock 3 point belt?
Old Aug 4, 2020, 05:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
13.2.H, it's legal in street class

Driver restraints as outlined in Section 3.3.1 are allowed. Seats may not be cut to allow for the installation of alternate seat belts or harnesses. Passive restraint systems may disabled but may not be removed. Removeable seat headrests may be repositioned using the original mounting hardware only if the OE components permit it with no modifications. This includes removing a headrest and reinstalling it backwards. A horizontal “harness bar” may be used as part of the installation hardware for allowed driver restraints provided it has no more than 2 attachment points to the chassis and is bolted at those locations. A C-type harness bar may also be used. It may have 4 bolted attachment points to the chassis (2 primary and 2 supporting connections to resist rotation). Truss-type harness bars with more than two (2) attachment points are not allowed.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 07:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
13.2.H, it's legal in street class
Thank you, good sir!

Quick Reply: 2020 STU Discussion