Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2020 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 08:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
As someone who just had a fresh OE clutch and just got tuned with the OE boost pill, gah. I know, it's still a proposal. But this seems to me like something that is going to get people excited, lots of shiny new allowances people want.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
As for cost. Im assuming new wheels (1-3k), New Tires (1k). Rear diff (1-1.5k, more if you refresh at the same time), Front diff (1k), New clutch (1-2k), FMIC and piping(500-1000),
Is there enough benefit to an FMIC at STU power levels to justify it? I'm guessing it can't be lighter than OE. Also.. new tune with the pill removed.

For tires, you'll want to be on 265 A052s and 18x10.5 wheels. 285 A052s arent going to fit under stock fenders and the 265s may be tough also. Dont necessarily think about the number on the tires tho, its a dang big tire. The 295 is definitely 305 in size on my pinched 10.5" wheels .
The nice thing about 285s is that they're shorter though. I need to do some digging but I thought someone in the archives had gotten 285s under their car when we were talking about a previous rules proposal, Rick J maybe?

(Whether it's worth it on a 10 or 10.5 wheel is a separate question)

Originally Posted by FasTrack
Tuning for automatic/dual-clutch transmissions and electronic differentials
Does the ACD count as an electronic differential?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 08:54 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
Currently just a proposal. Open for feedback. If you have any thoughts on it, now is your time to write a letter. They really do read and consider the letters.

I understand the argument, but I don't see this holding up under protest. Wavetrac doesn't market their diff as an OEM equivalent, they market it as a performance upgrade over the OEM diff. Regardless of how true that is, we can't swap it for the same reason we couldn't swap clutches.

Front diff strength shouldn't matter for normal, non-Pro Solo autocross though.

I see where we differ. We're already running 265 tires and 10" wide wheels in STU, so I didn't include those in my estimate. Also, I didn't count the front diff swap because it's a no-go. And I'm not in a rush to replace my clutch until the day it starts slipping, which is something I budget for. Being able to upgrade the clutch should save money over time.

I'm not convinced 10.5" wheels are going to fit under the fenders within the STU rules. It could work if we could get the rules expanded to allow some fender pulling and/or trailing arm replacements, but I don't know if I see that happening.
All good points. Though I would probably pull the front diff each year and inspect for cracks in my normal routine of maintenance. And I wouldn't ever replace it with a new OEM diff . We know it has no performance benefit and sometimes you have to follow Smokey's logic. But if you aren't doing pro's, you'll be totally fine on the stock diff at STU power for a long time. But if it does fail, know it takes out the whole T-case.

Power wise, I'm not sure how much extra power you'd get with the open boost rule being limited by 93 octane. But I'm guessing 350-360 hp with conservative timing will be realistic. That's enough the stock clutch isn't going to be happy long. So its just a matter of time before that needs changing. And if you're already on 10" wheels then that's solid enough. But if people are on 9" wheels I'd be going bigger.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
As someone who just had a fresh OE clutch and just got tuned with the OE boost pill, gah. I know, it's still a proposal. But this seems to me like something that is going to get people excited, lots of shiny new allowances people want.
Good to see progress and new thinking. If I was taking STU seriously in the Evo right now, my bigger concern would be with the M2s and Supras on big tires.

I'm not sure how much tire they can fit, though.

Is there enough benefit to an FMIC at STU power levels to justify it? I'm guessing it can't be lighter than OE.
I wonder if a bigger FMIC could provide enough extra tuning margin on 93 octane to be worth it?

Does the ACD count as an electronic differential?
That's how I read it.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Power wise, I'm not sure how much extra power you'd get with the open boost rule being limited by 93 octane. But I'm guessing 350-360 hp with conservative timing will be realistic.
When you say 350-360 what dyno are you thinking?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
This is a big change to the current state of the STU!! I see some good things in there, but still not sure about some others.
To start here is they are saying they want to "Decrease average age of competitive STU cars", yet at the same time proposing to add old cars like C5 Z06 or old NSX!

I am also wondering if STU was in fact struggling and in need of such drastic change...

Allowing bigger wheels/tires will only help some of the cars (also some more then others) and I am ok with with (just OK though). Not allowing some additional tweaks to make sure those larger items fit properly inside the fender doesn't make lots of sense.

Allowing bigger IC is strange - nobody would say just because I can't upgrade my IC I am not going to race in STU...maybe it is just me though.

New boost allowance is going to help more cars too, and after partial implementation for the old new boost rule, this should be good.

Clutch thing I do like, since I was always under impression this was needed for all the car that increased power levels with previously allowed mods. It is hard to swallow that after you destroy your inadequate clutch due to too much power your car now makes, you would go and put the same one in there again.

Electronic diffs/transmissions is a tricky one, but just like the electronic boost control before this, almost impossible to enforce. It will open lots of cans here, and some definitely could have worms in there...

One diff allowance for AWD is a welcome one for sure! When do we start asking for another one?

All of the new cars are another tricky one! They are opening all those cans for the existing cars and as it that mess is not good enough, they want to add more oil to already big fire! I wouldn't go there at least right away, but...
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:59 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
When you say 350-360 what dyno are you thinking?
Dynojet. I made 330whp with a downpipe, LICP, and tune at ER back in 2009 on 91oct so Im just guessing maxing out whats left and 93oct would get you in the 350-360 range.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Is there enough benefit to an FMIC at STU power levels to justify it? I'm guessing it can't be lighter than OE.
Quoting myself, here's the STH allowance

STH only: As utilized only on engines originally equipped with forced induction, induction charge heat exchangers (also known as “intercoolers” or“charge air coolers” [CACs]) are unrestricted in size and shape. Air-to-air CACs and radiators for air-to-liquid CACs must be cooled only by the atmosphere except for standard parts. Body panels, fascias, or structural members may not be cut or altered to facilitate CAC installation. Removal of vehicle components to facilitate installation is not allowed. Holes may be drilled for mounting. Factory boost piping may not be modified or replaced.
This doesn't say anything about a minimum weight.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
What tire size and wheel width are the current Evo 8/9 running? This will be tricky for me to demod the car back from a half-prep ASP car as my fenders are slightly pulled in the rear to fit 285 A7. I suppose running the same wheels/tires as everyone else, nobody is going to bother to give me a hard time, but who knows.

Is restacking the OEM rear diff considered a diff change in this case? I am really intrigued by this new rule as I would not hesitate to run in the new STU class.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 02:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by white_turbo
What tire size and wheel width are the current Evo 8/9 running? This will be tricky for me to demod the car back from a half-prep ASP car as my fenders are slightly pulled in the rear to fit 285 A7. I suppose running the same wheels/tires as everyone else, nobody is going to bother to give me a hard time, but who knows.

Is restacking the OEM rear diff considered a diff change in this case? I am really intrigued by this new rule as I would not hesitate to run in the new STU class.
265 tires on 18x10 wheels in 2020 STU trim. I don't think we can fit 18x10.5" wheels within the proposed rules.

Restacking OEM diff is not considered a diff change. It's allowed under current STU rules because the service manual shows the restacked configuration as the correct configuration. We're interpreting it as being installed wrong from the factory.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Cool. I forgot the restack is a OE allowance. That's even better in my case. But with the new rules though, I think the Supra/M2 can both handle 285 easily and open boost will just be a wash, it certainly doesn't bold well for the Evo. The newer cars are generally heavier these days, so hope that will keep the Evo somewhat in the game still and will likely be course dependent too.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 04:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by white_turbo
Cool. I forgot the restack is a OE allowance. That's even better in my case. But with the new rules though, I think the Supra/M2 can both handle 285 easily and open boost will just be a wash, it certainly doesn't bold well for the Evo. The newer cars are generally heavier these days, so hope that will keep the Evo somewhat in the game still and will likely be course dependent too.
The more I think about, the more I think the Evo VIII/IX just won't benefit much from these changes.

We can't fit more tire. A little extra boost will help a small amount, but 93 Octane still limits it.

The wildcard would be if someone can find a magic combination of rear differential upgrade and ACD tune that transforms the handling.

Evo X with open boost and huge tires might become more attractive now, though.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Evo X with open boost and huge tires might become more attractive now, though.
Any idea what can fit on X with these new rules?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
Any idea what can fit on X with these new rules?
At least a 285/295 with no work I think. So an aggressive roll may make 305 possible, which is going to make it a very good car IMO.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 05:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
So maybe us Evo 8/9 owners should just push for open boost only and leave the tire/wheel retrictions as is? I still think this platform is capable of taking 1st at nationals with the right tires/driver the way the rules stand...
Old Mar 23, 2020, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Major changes proposed to STU in the latest Fastrack: https://www.scca.com/downloads/49412...ition/download

Proposal would increase tire limit to 315 for all cars, actual open boost, clutch allowance, single differential allowance, and adds a few cars.

Would be a significant change to the class. Any thoughts on how the Evo would compete with 285s, open boost, and a single upgraded diff? Seems like some of the proposed additions to the class would be tough to compete with.
all things i've been pushing for for years... now happening as i basically am done autoxing lol. mins the 315s that is

Quick Reply: 2020 STU Discussion