Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2020 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 06:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by white_turbo
What tire size and wheel width are the current Evo 8/9 running? This will be tricky for me to demod the car back from a half-prep ASP car as my fenders are slightly pulled in the rear to fit 285 A7. I suppose running the same wheels/tires as everyone else, nobody is going to bother to give me a hard time, but who knows.
I was in the same boat. ASP evo with pulled fenders. Even though I was going to run a known wheel/tire setup that would work in STU, I could see someone protesting me because of the fenders. My thought was essentially I could probably lower the rear more so than other STU evos who had just rolled fenders. So I sold and went with an IX RS instead to start from scratch.

If you aren't competing at national tour/events, it probably won't be as much of a concern.

Old Mar 23, 2020, 09:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Here's someone who fit 295F and 325R on a Supra with supposedly minimal work: https://www.supraforums.com/threads/...#post-13897283

Not sure if it's actually usable in a motorsports situation, but apparently there's a lot of room under those fenders.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
all things i've been pushing for for years... now happening as i basically am done autoxing lol. mins the 315s that is
This is a little strange but I was actually thinking when reading the proposal "hey isn't this basically kyoo's car". Especially the "AWD can change one diff" part.

The more I think about the proposal, the more excited I am about it. Like the 8/9 may not be the car to have in this universe but it will let me do some stuff to the car that I wanted to do anyway. In particular, the diff. I don't know if I would make much more power, but the allowances would mean not having to do hokey **** with the O2 housing, which would be appreciated. The car would almost certainly be noticeably more fun to drive with these allowances, if they go through. And if it revitalizes the class that's definitely a win.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
The more I think about the proposal, the more excited I am about it. Like the 8/9 may not be the car to have in this universe but it will let me do some stuff to the car that I wanted to do anyway. In particular, the diff. I don't know if I would make much more power, but the allowances would mean not having to do hokey **** with the O2 housing, which would be appreciated. The car would almost certainly be noticeably more fun to drive with these allowances, if they go through. And if it revitalizes the class that's definitely a win.
I don't take AutoX as seriously as others here, but I feel the same way. I've been slowing changing the car up as I focus more on track days, but it's nice to keep it STU-legal for the occasional autocross. Having a few more allowances means I can stay STU-compatible longer while I do what I really want with the car.

Plus, I'm excited to see what people do with the Supra, M2, and others.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I am glad they added a clutch upgrade, but from the wording it looks like we can't add another plate to the SST trainy, which is one of the common mods to increase the biting power. I hope I am not as educated in this as I need to be, but it true, we would have to figure some other methods to improve this part
Old Mar 23, 2020, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
This is a little strange but I was actually thinking when reading the proposal "hey isn't this basically kyoo's car". Especially the "AWD can change one diff" part.

lol oh yea - i made pretty much the exact proposal 2-3 years ago, and was shrugged off.

i also proposed a big ds gs hs shake up maybe 5 years ago. was shrugged off then too, then they basically did exactly that. boost buggies to ds, wrx to gs, si/fiesta st to hs
Old Mar 24, 2020, 06:01 AM
EvoM Guru

lol oh yea - i made pretty much the exact proposal 2-3 years ago, and was shrugged off.

i also proposed a big ds gs hs shake up maybe 5 years ago. was shrugged off then too, then they basically did exactly that. boost buggies to ds, wrx to gs, si/fiesta st to hs
These things take time to crystallize. They generally don't make sweeping decisions based on single letters.

Either way, it's a good sign that they're working on keeping things fresh and exploring different options.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

See. "Thank you for you input" really does mean something.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
See. "Thank you for you input" really does mean something.
lol
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all, new member here.

I'm jumping in this thread as a prospective Evo owner. I currently drive an F Street M3 and have been looking to get into STU. I was originally thinking of either modding my current E46 or getting an E92, but the new rules discussion has me thinking about going the AWD route stead. I've always liked Evos, but I don't know a whole lot about them.

First of all, I know most of you are 8/9 guys as they're lighter and a bit more high-strung, but 8's and 9's are getting super hard to find and tend to be kind of expensive. What are thoughts on the X in this day and age? Seems like the STAC are trying to make the X more competitive.

Cheers.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:15 AM
EvoM Guru

It wasn't that long ago an X was in the trophies at nats and/or had an FTD on one of the nats courses I think. The new rules, if they pass, would only help the X since more tire + more power help mitigate the X's biggest disadvantage (weight).
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Calling something high strung typically means its unreliable or maintenance intensive (when it comes to racecars). The 8/9 is really no different from the X in that regard, or really any other car for that matter.

The X seems like it will certainly fit more tire than the 8/9 with these new rules, you can fit 285's under a X without pulling the rears. You might even be able to do 295's with creative offsets. But the car is still heavier (~200-250lbs), and will end up making about the same power as an 8/9.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by JustAWhisper
Hello all, new member here.

I'm jumping in this thread as a prospective Evo owner. I currently drive an F Street M3 and have been looking to get into STU. I was originally thinking of either modding my current E46 or getting an E92, but the new rules discussion has me thinking about going the AWD route stead. I've always liked Evos, but I don't know a whole lot about them.
Welcome.

If STU is your target, you should wait until the 2021 rules are finalized before making any big purchases.

The proposal could change dramatically between now and when it gets implemented, if it gets implemented at all.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:54 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
I think the 4G has that stigma of high strung since its so anemic out of boost compared to some other cars, but the power band itself is pretty broad. Not hard to have 4000-5000 rpms of >80% peak torque.

I do think the X will start to see a bit of an advantage with the new rules and being able to run 295s. And its a newer car and easier to live with day to day. But beyond STU, the 8/9 will probably stay the car to have just cause of physical size.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by JustAWhisper
I currently drive an F Street M3 and have been looking to get into STU. I was originally thinking of either modding my current E46 or getting an E92,
Additional clarification.. I would definitely not mod the E46.

Quick Reply: 2020 STU Discussion