Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2020 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
Welcome.

If STU is your target, you should wait until the 2021 rules are finalized before making any big purchases.

The proposal could change dramatically between now and when it gets implemented, if it gets implemented at all.
I am aware of this. I just figured I would jump in the discussion and see what people's thoughts were on the X. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
I think the 4G has that stigma of high strung since its so anemic out of boost compared to some other cars, but the power band itself is pretty broad. Not hard to have 4000-5000 rpms of >80% peak torque.

I do think the X will start to see a bit of an advantage with the new rules and being able to run 295s. And its a newer car and easier to live with day to day. But beyond STU, the 8/9 will probably stay the car to have just cause of physical size.
Good to know. What I really meant by high strung was more twitchy and more of a race car feel, as that was my vague interpretation of the difference between the X and the previous gen. I haven't had the chance to drive either one. In any case, I appreciate the thoughts. I'm less interested in getting an 8/9 due to the high cost for an older car (every example I see on autotrader is near $30k for cars that look decently nice). I would be intending to daily the car at least for a little while, so the X has more appeal for me there. I also happen to think it looks better, but that's just me.

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Additional clarification.. I would definitely not mod the E46.
Yeah, it's definitely a bit of an interesting situation, and I'm really not sure what I'm going to do. I had intended to mod the car for STU and track duty when I bought the car, and some people thought I was nuts to consider it when prices were shooting up. I ended up shelving the plan while I finished up some additional schooling on top of my full time job, and now that I'm ready to get back in the game the landscape has changed. Prices on the E46 have fallen a bit and stabilized, making it slightly less insane to mod one up. It's also no longer at the pointy end of either FS or STU (E92 is faster in both categories by a significant margin when on Yoko's). I enjoy the car, but I agree that it probably doesn't make much sense to mod it up at this point. Time to move on to something else. The question is what. Unfortunately, there's so much up in the air right now it's hard to make any decisions currently.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran an Evo X in STU and did not feel disadvantaged to 8/9's except at ProSolo's. And, that was only because of the X's weaksauce clutch that I did not feel like launching with. The 63mph top speed in 2nd was also an issue. With that being said, I'll take an X on 295's and open boost any day.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by BigT
I ran an Evo X in STU and did not feel disadvantaged to 8/9's except at ProSolo's. And, that was only because of the X's weaksauce clutch that I did not feel like launching with. The 63mph top speed in 2nd was also an issue. With that being said, I'll take an X on 295's and open boost any day.
Yes, but which trainy??
Old Mar 26, 2020, 05:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
What was your rev limiter set to? The 4b11 can do 81-8200 stock to give you a bit more mph. 8000 will 67mph.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Mar 26, 2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additional clarification.. I would definitely not mod the E46.
Yeah, I know it's no longer really the best option in STU. With Yokos the E92 can put it's additional power down a lot better. I suspect that's part of the reason why the STAC is trying to do something to help everyone else. It'll be interesting to see how things play out.

I attempted to reply once already, but the forum seems to have ate my post. If I end up getting a double post, then I apologize.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
question is, would evo x's switch out their ayc for a mechanical to handle the abuse of solo, especially on 295s?

i've almost never thought about modding my e92 m3. something so simple about staying stock, evo will forever remain the project car
Old Mar 26, 2020, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
What was your rev limiter set to? The 4b11 can do 81-8200 stock to give you a bit more mph. 8000 will 67mph.
GPS confirmed 63mph at 8000rpm and 265/35/18 re71r’s, which are taller than the 295 yoko’s.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 07:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
GPS confirmed 63mph at 8000rpm and 265/35/18 re71r’s, which are taller than the 295 yoko’s.
I get 66mph when I calculate it out.

GPS measurements are good if you can go in a straight line at constant RPM for long enough for the readings to stabilize, but they'll generally be incorrect if you're going around corners and using consumer-grade GPS receivers.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 07:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by JustAWhisper
Good to know. What I really meant by high strung was more twitchy and more of a race car feel, as that was my vague interpretation of the difference between the X and the previous gen. I haven't had the chance to drive either one. In any case, I appreciate the thoughts. I'm less interested in getting an 8/9 due to the high cost for an older car (every example I see on autotrader is near $30k for cars that look decently nice). I would be intending to daily the car at least for a little while, so the X has more appeal for me there. I also happen to think it looks better, but that's just me.
I have limited experience in my friends Evo Xs, but I generally agree. The X is a more refined car that feels vaguely more stable than the VIII/IX. Some or maybe most of that comes from the additional mass and overall size, which obviously won't help in autocross situations. Giant tires could compensate for some of that, of course.

As for cost: Autotrader is where people go fishing for high prices on older cars. Try joining some Evo-related Facebook groups to get a feel for the going price in your area. Bigger problem than cost is finding one that hasn't been abused to death or modded incompetently. If you want an VIII/IX, it's best to keep your eyes open and be ready to pull the trigger as soon as the right car comes on the market.

I've always liked the X in general. If it was about 200-300lbs lighter, I'd be all over it.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
I get 66mph when I calculate it out.

GPS measurements are good if you can go in a straight line at constant RPM for long enough for the readings to stabilize, but they'll generally be incorrect if you're going around corners and using consumer-grade GPS receivers.
Same. And 8200 gets 68mph,
Old Mar 27, 2020, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

i submitted a letter in support of the proposal but i dont even care anymore lol
Old Mar 29, 2020, 08:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Some light reading for folks exploring possible rear differential options (again, assuming the rules changes are approved)

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ound-here.html
The following users liked this post:
Construct (Mar 29, 2020)
Old Mar 29, 2020, 09:00 AM
EvoM Guru

@Dallas J - Have you been able to get any time on that fancy new rear diff?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Some light reading for folks exploring possible rear differential options (again, assuming the rules changes are approved)

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ound-here.html
lol my 10yo thread still going strong

for autox, i would just get the TRE on a budget, or a cusco 1 way. i had the 1.5 for about 10yrs, it is a great diff. if anything a little too aggressive. Jon@TRE makes a heavy duty side cover for it also to handle launches better

my osg didn't really do anything, and had to send it to TRE for him to fix/improve it
Old Mar 29, 2020, 02:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
http://www.teamrip.com/evolution-4-9...uild-services/

So $525 for the basic diff service, $325 for the 12 plate max lock, plus probably $235 for the heavy duty side cover and $115 for the oil sight rear cover.. right? So like $1200?

I've always heard good things and his website had some good tech on it which was always appreciated, but I've never really been able to buy anything cool that he was selling.

So kyoo your path was Cusco, Cusco + TRE mods, OSG, OSG + TRE mods?

Quick Reply: 2020 STU Discussion