Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2020 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
i assume talking about 8/9. evo x, either u can go front lsd and leave ayc or get a mechanical rear for more reliability
At STU power levels, or even ASP, the X rear diff is plenty strong. I would not give up AYC.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
At STU power levels, or even ASP, the X rear diff is plenty strong. I would not give up AYC.
on open boost, concrete, 285s, including pro solo launches? idk about that
Old Mar 31, 2020, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Pro Solo launches are a tricky one for sure. Once power level gets deeper into 300s and more, it is lot of easier to break things. Since my car is DCT one, I would not even do any of those any more. Perhaps, manual transmission would fare better in this regard, but I just don't like that kind of abuse any more.

Taking Pro Soles out of equation, I don't think AYC would be an issue strength wise. Now, the main question is whether it can be improved upon with allowed electronic diff allowance or not!
Old Mar 31, 2020, 01:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
The diff is a lot stronger than you think. I've seen them go a decent amount of time in 800whp cars. Even if it's an or semi-annual maintenance/replacement item, it's worth keeping. Also, keep a spare in the trailer, it only takes an hour or so to change..

The key is reducing wheel hop. And wheel Hope will break axles and the 8/9 diff too, so the point becomes moot.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
More good reading
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...side-tire.html

From that thread
http://lsd.cuscousainc.com/cusco-lsd-guidebook/ - Cusco's take on things
https://motoiq.com/project-370z-impr...-cusco-rs-lsd/ - assembling a differential. If you're like me and have never seen one assembled in person this is really cool/helpful to start visualizing how things are put together.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
More good reading
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...side-tire.html

From that thread
http://lsd.cuscousainc.com/cusco-lsd-guidebook/ - Cusco's take on things
https://motoiq.com/project-370z-impr...-cusco-rs-lsd/ - assembling a differential. If you're like me and have never seen one assembled in person this is really cool/helpful to start visualizing how things are put together.
haha - all those things are subbed/bookmarked for me.

my guess is electronic diff modifications would count as a mod as well, FWIW. restacked plus ACD reflash is another option, though prob not as good as a cusco rear
Old Mar 31, 2020, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

haha - all those things are subbed/bookmarked for me.

my guess is electronic diff modifications would count as a mod as well, FWIW. restacked plus ACD reflash is another option, though prob not as good as a cusco rear
That is why I am bringing it up here - new rules would specifically allow mods to the diffs electronics. That way it would not count as a diff mode like new aftermarket diff would!
Old Mar 31, 2020, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
That is why I am bringing it up here - new rules would specifically allow mods to the diffs electronics. That way it would not count as a diff mode like new aftermarket diff would!
oh they did? i missed that
Old Mar 31, 2020, 05:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
However, having driven my car with the restacked OE diff, and a top level STU STi, my car does not rotate under power anywhere near the way the STi did.
Interesting. How much of that would you attribute to the STI rear diff, though? Seemed like my STI friends were always playing suspension games to get the rear diff to work at all.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
However, having driven my car with the restacked OE diff, and a top level STU STi, my car does not rotate under power anywhere near the way the STi did.
Interesting. How much of that would you attribute to the STI rear diff, though? Seemed like my STI friends were always playing suspension games to get the rear diff to work at all.
From my experience with EVOs, they are quite sensitive to the way throttle is applied and it can contribute to tightness/looseness behavior. To me, most of those I drove where more on the loose side though.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 06:47 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
Extra frustrating when the car had so much power to give yet couldn't take any. If there are ever any autox events again I would be very interested in trying out the new and improved version.
For sure. Somehow gotta figure out how to convince you and Tom to pick up the car and take it to Nats for me since I cant go. I think the car needs a hat trick and I hear Panda might make an appearance.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Construct
I'm guessing the diff is a good part of it, because the 07+ cars with the Torsen are (IIRC) seen as less desirable. The STi's torque/gearing is probably a good part of it too though.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm guessing the diff is a good part of it, because the 07+ cars with the Torsen are (IIRC) seen as less desirable. The STi's torque/gearing is probably a good part of it too though.
I think the STI's center differential also plays a role - supposedly the older GD models were more rear-biased. I am jealous of all the torque they have, but not their gearing (specifically 2006 and older model years :P)

Also, please write your letters regarding the STU proposal, whether you agree or disagree with it!
Old Apr 2, 2020, 01:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Letter #28781 in support is in.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

i wrote a letter in support, threw in a who cares at the end because im salty they didnt do this when they opened boost by ecu tuning

Quick Reply: 2020 STU Discussion