Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2021 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2020, 07:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Also,

For ****s and giggles I tried mounting a 295 A052 on a 10" wheel.

First pic is the 265/10" combo for reference:

Old Dec 9, 2020, 08:32 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
A052s are pretty edge sensitive so definitely be careful with that much pinch. Better be running more than -4deg of camber, probably closer to -4.5deg.

I do run 295s on a 10.5 and even that extra 0.5" makes a noticeable difference on that bulge but theyd be happier on 11s. I would probably try to run a narrower tire with stretch than pinching bigger with this particular tire.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 09:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
A052s are pretty edge sensitive so definitely be careful with that much pinch. Better be running more than -4deg of camber, probably closer to -4.5deg.

I do run 295s on a 10.5 and even that extra 0.5" makes a noticeable difference on that bulge but theyd be happier on 11s. I would probably try to run a narrower tire with stretch than pinching bigger with this particular tire.
Dallas, agreed. I only mounted the 295's on the 10's just to see how they looked in the rear of the evo. It's definitely not going to work for STU out back. If I get the 295 to work up front, I'll run the 255 on the 10" out back for sure. Hopefully will aid in lift off rotation.

The 295's look perfect on the 11's up front (as pictured from the side view on the car). The sidewall of the 295/11" combo looks exactly the same as the 265/10" combo. I just didn't post up a good picture of it for reference.

Currently up front in the picture, that's somewhere around -5 deg (I don't have my gauge handy as a buddy is using it).
Old Dec 9, 2020, 04:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Old Dec 10, 2020, 06:28 AM
EvoM Guru

295/11" vs 265/10" shot.

Also, a picture of the 295/11" sidewall.

Old Dec 10, 2020, 08:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Man, those tires are wide. That 265 on 10" wheel looks like my 265 RS3's on a 9.5, and I thought the RS3's ran wide.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 09:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Man, those tires are wide. That 265 on 10" wheel looks like my 265 RS3's on a 9.5, and I thought the RS3's ran wide.
I'd agree with that statement.

Last edited by LV///R; Dec 10, 2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 11:11 AM
EvoM Guru

On a side note, where are you guys going to get your ACD tune? I have tried contacting English Racing as they seemed to be the go to in the past, but I'm getting absolutely no response what so ever.

Old Dec 11, 2020, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
On a side note, where are you guys going to get your ACD tune? I have tried contacting English Racing as they seemed to be the go to in the past, but I'm getting absolutely no response what so ever.
Just buy it on their website: https://englishracing.net/products/e...8-9-acd-tuning

They were quick to get back to me once they had my money. Haven't had a chance to try it in an autocross setting yet.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 12:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Construct
Just buy it on their website: https://englishracing.net/products/e...8-9-acd-tuning

They were quick to get back to me once they had my money. Haven't had a chance to try it in an autocross setting yet.
Gotcha. I'll give that a shot, I just had some questions prior to buying it that I wanted answered! At least they were responsive to you.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 06:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Nankang CR-1 will be available in 285/30R18 in March.

I'm not sure how the CR-1 stacks up against other 200TW tires in an AutoX setting. Good to see another 285/30 option on the market though.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
LoL. Nanking' gonna work for u. haha.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 08:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Nankang CR-1 will be available in 285/30R18 in March.

I'm not sure how the CR-1 stacks up against other 200TW tires in an AutoX setting. Good to see another 285/30 option on the market though.

I saw that as well, and am pleasantly surprised they came out with that size!

Also, it seems like the Kumho V730 WON'T be an option for 2021 SCCA SOLO.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 04:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

FWIW, English was quick to get back to me when I sent a request through the contact-us link. I wanted to verify the right part number so that I could buy a spare ACD ECU and mail it off so that I could easily go back to stock someday. (ha!)

I'm taking another look at the final rulebook and want to bounce my understandings' off people -

3. STU and STH only: Charge pipes may be modified or replaced. Replacement charge pipes may delete or block off factory pipes designed to enhance intake sounds (“noisemakers”). Modification or deletion of vehicle components (e.g. plastic shrouds, wheel well liners) to permit routing of alternate charge pipes is not allowed.
"charge pipes" isn't actually defined in the rulebook anywhere. Is it safe to assume that it's a synonym for intercooler pipes? (going to send a letter asking for clarification - edit, letter #30332)

4. Compressor Bypass Valves (CBVs), blow-off valves, and pop-off valves may be replaced or modified.
This is unlikely to net any gains in STU trim, right? It sounds like a bunch of folks have run the stock IX BPV even with a good bit higher than OE boost (ex https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-bad-idea.html )

5. Boost regulation systems, either electronic or mechanical, and electronic fuel cuts referencing boost pressure may be modified, replaced, or removed. This does not allow for changes to the turbocharger or wastegate (including wastegate spring).
It looks like this is the allowance that would cover the removal of the pill from the vacuum line (page 6 here http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/use...ks%20v1.05.pdf )

2. STU and STH only: As utilized only on engines originally equipped with forced induction, induction charge heat exchangers (also known as “intercoolers” or “charge air coolers” [CACs]) are unrestricted in size and shape. Air-to-air CACs and radiators for air-to-liquid CACs must be cooled only by the atmosphere except for standard parts. Body panels, fascias, or structural members may not be cut or altered to facilitate CAC installation. Removal of vehicle components to facilitate installation is not allowed. Holes may be drilled for mounting.
Early still, but it looks like ETS and AMS both have something that's meant to work in a stock configuration without mangling things - but I dunno whether they are truly no modifications or if they are "you can keep your bumper beam but have to cut the heck out of your bumper"

STU, STR, and STX classes: 2WD vehicles may use any mechanical LSD unit. AWD vehicles may substitute one differential 9front, rear, or center) with an aftermarket mechanical LSD.
I'm curious whether folks think something like the TRE rear cover ( http://www.teamrip.com/evolution-4-9...uild-services/ ) would be included in this. Like, does the "LSD unit" include the housing?

Thank you!

Last edited by Butt Dyno; Jan 31, 2021 at 05:09 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
FWIW, English was quick to get back to me when I sent a request through the contact-us link. I wanted to verify the right part number so that I could buy a spare ACD ECU and mail it off so that I could easily go back to stock someday. (ha!)

I'm taking another look at the final rulebook and want to bounce my understandings' off people -

"charge pipes" isn't actually defined in the rulebook anywhere. Is it safe to assume that it's a synonym for intercooler pipes? (going to send a letter asking for clarification - edit, letter #30332)

This is unlikely to net any gains in STU trim, right? It sounds like a bunch of folks have run the stock IX BPV even with a good bit higher than OE boost (ex https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-bad-idea.html )

It looks like this is the allowance that would cover the removal of the pill from the vacuum line (page 6 here http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/use...ks%20v1.05.pdf )

Early still, but it looks like ETS and AMS both have something that's meant to work in a stock configuration without mangling things - but I dunno whether they are truly no modifications or if they are "you can keep your bumper beam but have to cut the heck out of your bumper"

I'm curious whether folks think something like the TRE rear cover ( http://www.teamrip.com/evolution-4-9...uild-services/ ) would be included in this. Like, does the "LSD unit" include the housing?

Thank you!

I feel as though the "charge pipes" is anything from the compressor of the turbo, to the throttlebody, so yes, UICP and LICP should be legal for STU. After googling that it seems most people would agree.

BOV - the stock IX one seems more than capable, especially at the boost levels we should be around on pump gas.

Yep, no more boost pill. A MBC, EBC or ECU controlled boost is legal going forward.

I can't comment on those FMIC's, but there should be plenty of offerings out there in which you shouldn't have to trim a thing.

I'm uncertain about the rear cover, but man, if someone would protest over simply the OEM cover with a sight added, I'd be shocked. There's absolutely no performance gain there. Or are you talking about the side cover they offer?

Quick Reply: 2021 STU Discussion