Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2021 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2021, 05:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
Agree with Dallas that you probably have too much rear spring for the small rear tires but a little rear toe in might be pretty good also.
Thanks Marshall! I appreciate the confirmation and will order up a pair of softer springs - just to test as well. I was thinking adding some toe in as well so I will keep that in mind too.

Much appreciated!
Old Jun 3, 2021, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

FWIW, Moton Clubsports at full droop (jacked up at the rear diff). On the ground there's about 1" between the fender lip and the tire, in the air more like 3".

... still need to roll these

Last edited by Butt Dyno; Jun 3, 2021 at 09:40 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Also, a new challenger has arrived. The NT03RR is available in 18x10 +38 also

https://enkei.com/shop/wheels/racingrevolution/nt03rr/

1.5 lbs heavier than the RPF1, but I do love the look of these things. From a fitment perspective, there shouldn't be any difference between an 18x10 +38 RPF1 and an 18x10 +38 NT03RR, right?

Last edited by Butt Dyno; Jun 3, 2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 05:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno

FWIW, Moton Clubsports at full droop (jacked up at the rear diff). On the ground there's about 1" between the fender lip and the tire, in the air more like 3".

... still need to roll these
Yeah you definitely would have more height than I do. On a separate note, the 285mm tires are shorter than the 265s....so maybe I haven't considered this yet. Hmmm.

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Also, a new challenger has arrived. The NT03RR is available in 18x10 +38 also

https://enkei.com/shop/wheels/racingrevolution/nt03rr/

1.5 lbs heavier than the RPF1, but I do love the look of these things. From a fitment perspective, there shouldn't be any difference between an 18x10 +38 RPF1 and an 18x10 +38 NT03RR, right?
I would think you'd be fine. Absolutely no doubt out back in the rear. How much of a spacer up front might vary...
Old Jun 8, 2021, 05:59 AM
EvoM Guru

I am ordering up a pair of 800lb and 900lb springs to HOPEFULLY get some testing done in Lincoln this weekend. Rallycross style autocross on Saturday where they are adding your times of all runs, including cones. Normal Solo on Sunday.

Old Jun 8, 2021, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those of you who are now using Yoko A052's.... What setup changes, if any, did you have to make to get the car to behave how you want? General consensus seems to be that they make pushy cars even pushier.

Last edited by BigT; Jun 8, 2021 at 06:52 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 06:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Welp, I ordered a softer set of springs from an individual on RoadRaceAutox forums. Has well over 8,000 posts on there an seemingly wouldn't screw a guy over. Friday rolls around and I'm expecting a pair of springs. I find a box on my front steps when I get home from work, only to find out that it felt like absolutely nothing was in the box. Sure enough, there wasn't anything in it! I gifted via Paypal, due to other people in his same thread about springs doing the same thing, without issue. I know better than that, but gifted anyway. So I really have no recourse here - I messaged him but he states he's out for some week long SCCA events. Either he simply sent me an empty box, or some highly skilled individual opened and resealed the box. FYI, the springs were sent in the original Swift box - which probably isn't the smartest thing in the world, but I know when I've ordered from Swift directly in the past, the do the same....

Anyways, Lincoln had another TNT on Saturday with their points event on Sunday. Needless to say I didn't do a whole lot of testing, as I'll be going with softer rates in the near future. I did play around with tire pressures and damping settings. Finally got a pyrometer on the fronts and I may have been running slightly too low of pressures up front. The middle of the tire was 10 degrees cooler than the inner/outer.

Sunday's points event was the same course, just ran in the opposite direction. It was sunny and quite warm - In the 90's that day.

I came out of the gates swinging with a 56.0XX. We had 5 total runs (plus an extra run that was a re-run) I couldn't improve upon my first run which rarely, if ever has happened to me over the course of these years. I attribute that mainly to having a good idea of the course from the day prior and/or the combo of the heat and not enough spraying. Mark was kind enough to let me use some of his ice water which was much appreciated!

Solo storm is starting to aggravate me. I've used this for years, with out issue. Spring Nats I started having troubles getting logs to record. Well Saturday, I got all my logs to record (however I didn't use video). Sunday - I tried recording with video and it didn't record the log. Disabled video and still wouldn't record any of the remaining logs. I know others have had hit or miss issues as well. I sent Petrel data an email trying to get assistance. Frustrating indeed.

The following users liked this post:
Murph (Jun 15, 2021)
Old Jun 15, 2021, 08:46 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Nice run there, it can certainly be frustrating when you sit on a first run and cant find any improvement. When that happens I usually find I am faster in some areas (on data) but under drive or screw up another. One thing that has helped me make that a pretty infrequent occurrence is to think about where on course is there magic to be found. There's usually a place or a few where we can really either just bomb into something much harder (cause evo stability) or hold throttle through something (cause evo drivetrain) that others just cant. But it usually takes some solid testicular fortitude to get it done with your brain screaming No No No!

I love solostorm but recognize there's lots of glitchiness with it at times. I think he should just pick one camera and focus on get that to work reliably. Right now, seems everyone has issues with consistency. Last year I had trouble getting it to start runs at all without video. Found if I close the flap on the kindle it would often just stop doing anything. So I left flap open when I tossed in glovebox and it worked just fine then. I also dont use video with it cause I need the data to be there for seeing where I can go faster, how to help co-driver, or how much a mistake cost me. In the runs, video is irrelevant to me.
Murph (Jun 15, 2021)
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Nice run there, it can certainly be frustrating when you sit on a first run and cant find any improvement. When that happens I usually find I am faster in some areas (on data) but under drive or screw up another. One thing that has helped me make that a pretty infrequent occurrence is to think about where on course is there magic to be found. There's usually a place or a few where we can really either just bomb into something much harder (cause evo stability) or hold throttle through something (cause evo drivetrain) that others just cant. But it usually takes some solid testicular fortitude to get it done with your brain screaming No No No!

I love solostorm but recognize there's lots of glitchiness with it at times. I think he should just pick one camera and focus on get that to work reliably. Right now, seems everyone has issues with consistency. Last year I had trouble getting it to start runs at all without video. Found if I close the flap on the kindle it would often just stop doing anything. So I left flap open when I tossed in glovebox and it worked just fine then. I also dont use video with it cause I need the data to be there for seeing where I can go faster, how to help co-driver, or how much a mistake cost me. In the runs, video is irrelevant to me.
Thanks Dallas! I would have LOVED to see the data from yesterday, because I'm sure there was time to be dropped out there (there always is). Would have been interesting because all 5 of the runs we got, they were all within 3 tenths of a second from the 1st run. Consistently fast is nice I guess - more so for road racing though, haha. Normally I'm in the same mindset. I'm usually trying to pinpoint at least 1-3 areas where I could possibly find some time. I didn't fully get into that mindset on Sunday - and that's probably partly why there was no improvement either.

I normally don't review video until after the event is over - in regards to SS. (No automatic DL's - I manually do it after the event) I do like reviewing it vs my other logs just to see how different the lines actually look in reality, rather than guessing how many inches or feet off the lines in SS show.

Looking forward to getting more testing done in the near future. I'm also planning on buying a square set of tires as well - just in case that I don't get my next set of 295's prior to Nationals. Supposedly they're on back order until August - which is cutting it close.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by BigT
Those of you who are now using Yoko A052's.... What setup changes, if any, did you have to make to get the car to behave how you want? General consensus seems to be that they make pushy cars even pushier.
I'm unsure I can be of much help - as I've changed more than just tires for this season.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by BigT
I got back and forth between 315 A7s and 295 A052s. No changes needed for that but they also have very similar feel.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:35 AM
EvoM Guru

I got back and forth between 315 A7s and 295 A052s. No changes needed for that but they also have very similar feel.

Dallas, have you ever done back to back testing between the wider A7 vs the 295 A052? I'm just wondering approximately how much time off the 200 TW tires are.

Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I see Tire Rack does have "back order" now for the A052s. If anyone did not call to confirm that yet I would do so. After returning from Spring Nats Tire Rack shows availability of mid July, 14th or so I believe, I called June 1 was told they would have 265/35-18s June 5. They did and my tires arrived a few days later. Not sure if this will help anyone but wanted to share my experience.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by LV///R
Dallas, have you ever done back to back testing between the wider A7 vs the 295 A052? I'm just wondering approximately how much time off the 200 TW tires are.
It is in the 1-1.5 sec range on a 60sec course. Pax difference is 0.7 sec (60 sec course) and its much much harder to compete in XA than SM with the talent we have. Here's the last event for reference to see how things land. Couple of notes though,
  • Ryan did better day 2 when he went back to his known good shock settings. Was probably worth a couple tenths.
  • Day 2 was a super tricky course. It has like 6 areas of high risk high reward and was super hard to get perfect.
  • Otis and Bauer are epic drivers. Always an honor to be in that ballpark.

~50 Run A7s, Started from Mid 2020 Season.

~50 Run A052, Started from Mid 2020 Season. Was dirty apparently but clean run would have been at red arrow.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

It is in the 1-1.5 sec range on a 60sec course. Pax difference is 0.7 sec (60 sec course) and its much much harder to compete in XA than SM with the talent we have. Here's the last event for reference to see how things land. Couple of notes though,
  • Ryan did better day 2 when he went back to his known good shock settings. Was probably worth a couple tenths.
  • Day 2 was a super tricky course. It has like 6 areas of high risk high reward and was super hard to get perfect.
  • Otis and Bauer are epic drivers. Always an honor to be in that ballpark.

~50 Run A7s, Started from Mid 2020 Season.

~50 Run A052, Started from Mid 2020 Season. Was dirty apparently but clean run would have been at red arrow.

Thanks Dallas! I was quite curious how much difference you might have been experiencing.

Fast Track is up! ST Bushing allowances touched upon: https://www.scca.com/downloads/57088...track/download
Jim3142 (Jul 8, 2021)

Quick Reply: 2021 STU Discussion