Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2021 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 02:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
'21 SCCA Solo Nationals registration is open already. Sitting at 24 entries for STU already!

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index....BE7503DA2D5B3B
The following users liked this post:
Murph (Jul 7, 2021)
Old Jul 8, 2021, 05:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Make it 31...
Old Jul 9, 2021, 08:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Goodluck to all the evo drivers in Packwood this weekend! Very curious to see how things go for you guys.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
Goodluck to all the evo drivers in Packwood this weekend! Very curious to see how things go for you guys.
It was a fun weekend with some pretty tight battles and lot's of position changes throughout both days. Day 1 we were all chasing Michael Carpenter's first run w/ Vitolins and myself battling it out for 2nd, and Davis ending the day in a reasonably close 4th. On Sunday it was much of the same but this time Carpenter hit a cone on his first and fastest run and I ended up with the time to beat, which most everyone eventually did, or got real close, including Zuehl in the Focus RS on 295s. Michael and I were the last to run in class and I knew that I was going to have to either match his fastest raw time or better it, depending on how "safe" he was planning on taking it. I picked my spots to fix and went for it and was pleased to have dropped a half second, well beyond my expectations, and retook the lead... but only for about 20 seconds lol, Michael came in a few seconds behind me with almost an identical time, taking the win for the day and for the weekend.

Some in-car from Sunday here,
The following users liked this post:
LV///R (Jul 13, 2021)
Old Jul 13, 2021, 05:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 4wd4me
It was a fun weekend with some pretty tight battles and lot's of position changes throughout both days. Day 1 we were all chasing Michael Carpenter's first run w/ Vitolins and myself battling it out for 2nd, and Davis ending the day in a reasonably close 4th. On Sunday it was much of the same but this time Carpenter hit a cone on his first and fastest run and I ended up with the time to beat, which most everyone eventually did, or got real close, including Zuehl in the Focus RS on 295s. Michael and I were the last to run in class and I knew that I was going to have to either match his fastest raw time or better it, depending on how "safe" he was planning on taking it. I picked my spots to fix and went for it and was pleased to have dropped a half second, well beyond my expectations, and retook the lead... but only for about 20 seconds lol, Michael came in a few seconds behind me with almost an identical time, taking the win for the day and for the weekend.

https://youtu.be/7YRStftKJVc
Doug,

Congrats on the 2nd place! Thanks for updating us in the thread as well - as I was hoping to hear something from one of you guys. I was watching/listening throughout the weekend to see how things would go and damn it was interesting to listen to and watch the times on Sunday! What a flipping battle!

So are you going to stick with the A052's? Any feedback between running on those and the Falkens?

Was that Focus RS on 295's all the way around? Any other observations?

Old Jul 13, 2021, 06:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Also are you guys planning on attending Nationals?

Anyone else looking to join in the festivities of STU? Sitting at 33 registered!
Old Jul 13, 2021, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Doug,

Congrats on the 2nd place! Thanks for updating us in the thread as well - as I was hoping to hear something from one of you guys. I was watching/listening throughout the weekend to see how things would go and damn it was interesting to listen to and watch the times on Sunday! What a flipping battle!

So are you going to stick with the A052's? Any feedback between running on those and the Falkens?

Was that Focus RS on 295's all the way around? Any other observations?
Thanks yeah, no nationals for us this year, it's extremely difficult for us to get ourselves and the car out there, unfortunately. Feedback on the A052s? not really, other than they're faster :-) and we went through a lot of water keeping them cool. and yeah, the Focus RS was on square 295s, it was impressive looking :-0
Old Jul 13, 2021, 01:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Thanks yeah, no nationals for us this year, it's extremely difficult for us to get ourselves and the car out there, unfortunately. Feedback on the A052s? not really, other than they're faster :-) and we went through a lot of water keeping them cool. and yeah, the Focus RS was on square 295s, it was impressive looking :-0

Haha, I hear you there. I haven't had a chance to drive anything on the Falkens, but I'm kinda surprised you're saying that in comparison to the 285 Falkens. Were you on the 255 or 265 A052's?

That stinks to hear that you guys can't make it to nationals!
Old Jul 13, 2021, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Haha, I hear you there. I haven't had a chance to drive anything on the Falkens, but I'm kinda surprised you're saying that in comparison to the 285 Falkens. Were you on the 255 or 265 A052's?

That stinks to hear that you guys can't make it to nationals!
yeah, 255 A052s
I think Carpenter was also on 255s which was a surprise, I thought they'd want the taller tire.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 02:38 PM
EvoM Guru

yeah, 255 A052s
I think Carpenter was also on 255s which was a surprise, I thought they'd want the taller tire.
Yes sir! 255s on 17" wheels. I'm unsure there was much 3rd gear for them at Packwood but at Lincoln they were in 3rd gear for much of all 4 courses...
Old Jul 14, 2021, 03:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Great writeup

https://youtu.be/7YRStftKJVc
Carpenter posted in-car video here:

I haven't been to a local AutoX event since Carpenter started driving the STI. (More accurately, since my wife and I had our first kid). I'll have to pick up some autocross-worthy tires and get out to a few events so Carpenter can beat me, too.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 03:51 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Its a very miata like line choice there, but very smooth driving.

Kind of an interesting topic, but I did some tests with SoloStorm on line choice with a line for carrying speed on exit and a line for earliest possible throttle and found if the exit is any kind of straight what ever gets you full throttle soonest was fastest cause it was a lot of time at enough of a speed delta.

Ive been approaching everything lately to get late in the apex as much as reasonable to move up that geographic location of throttle and so far the data says its the right approach. I may be SM, but packwood tour I was at best 400hp. I think ~330hp in STU trim the same approach applies. Would be fun to share SoloStorm logs from the event.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J

Kind of an interesting topic, but I did some tests with SoloStorm on line choice with a line for carrying speed on exit and a line for earliest possible throttle and found if the exit is any kind of straight what ever gets you full throttle soonest was fastest cause it was a lot of time at enough of a speed delta.
Tasha and I were looking at our throttle graphs at dinner last night (yeah, we know how to party!). It didn't capture my fastest run but for the runs it did capture I was generally more consistent with getting on the gas sooner, and with fewer\less hesitation. I kind of wish we had a steering input sensor to go along with it, but watching the in-car video helps there, smooth inputs, less corrections... happy hands and feet.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 05:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J

Ive been approaching everything lately to get late in the apex as much as reasonable to move up that geographic location of throttle and so far the data says its the right approach. I may be SM, but packwood tour I was at best 400hp. I think ~330hp in STU trim the same approach applies. Would be fun to share SoloStorm logs from the event.
He's super smooth in that video for sure. Granted, I know the steering in those things is not nearly as sensitive as the evos. But he's rarely making corrections and in sweeper type turns he's picked his steering angle and just holds it. Impressive.

I'm down for sharing logs at Nationals if you'd like. Assuming my Solostorm actually works!

In a week, I have another event in Lincoln (possibly Sat and Sun). I'm hoping there's at least a decent slalom or two and that I'm on the right path with the softer rear rate.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 05:56 AM
EvoM Guru

We're also up to 35 entries for Nationals in STU - 3 evos so far. When's the last time STU has pulled these sort of numbers?

There might be another driver for the evo camp. I'm undecided if I'm going go co-drive the car at Nationals. If it's super hot, unlikely as I don't know if it's truly possible to keep the tire temps down. I did buy a larger water sprayer with the RCX blanket to keep the water cool. However if its cool/cold out this year, I will absolutely have a co-driver with!

Quick Reply: 2021 STU Discussion