Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2021 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2021, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
4wd4me (Doug) thanks for showing me 285s fit on the Evo. I was able to fit them on my car before this weekend's event and was able to finally score my 1st win of the season in STU. I felt they were faster than my 255 Yokos at our local lot.

And get the best PAX result I've had in a while.

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Jul 19, 2021 at 04:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LV///R (Jul 23, 2021)
Old Jul 23, 2021, 08:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
4wd4me (Doug) thanks for showing me 285s fit on the Evo. I was able to fit them on my car before this weekend's event and was able to finally score my 1st win of the season in STU. I felt they were faster than my 255 Yokos at our local lot.

And get the best PAX result I've had in a while.
I assume you're running the 285's on an 18x10? Well done!

Test and Tune and points event in Lincoln this weekend! Looking forward to seeing how the changes impact this car - hopefully there are slaloms!

Old Jul 23, 2021, 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
My 18x10 +35 TC105X's should be here soon. I am hesitant to buy new tires for 2021 though with the potential new tires coming out next year. The goal is to run some local stuff (with **6 year old RE71Rs ) once the SCCA season is over and start fresh next year. Still don't have a plan for the diff, debating between the cheap-and-probably-good-enough option (TRE) vs the Cusco gymkhana one or something like that.

I got the car retuned with a boost controller and picked up some torque compared to the previous configuration. It is so much nicer getting power The Normal Way instead of The Technically Legal But Terrible Way (exhaust mods).

Last edited by Butt Dyno; Jul 23, 2021 at 12:25 PM.
LV///R (Jul 26, 2021)
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LV///R
I assume you're running the 285's on an 18x10? Well done! ...
18 x10.5 and the 285 Falkens still looks a little pinched. It's a VERY tight fit in the rear but can be done.

I'm debating between a MBC or a 3 port Grimspeed EBC next. Just need to find a reliable local tuner to get a little more power out of the car.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 08:33 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
18 x10.5 and the 285 Falkens still looks a little pinched. It's a VERY tight fit in the rear but can be done.

I'm debating between a MBC or a 3 port Grimspeed EBC next. Just need to find a reliable local tuner to get a little more power out of the car.
An MBC is super convenient but you have no ability to control boost taper and will typically spike boost and taper. Thats pretty much a bad situation for drivability and knock.

EBC will let you come into boost more gently without spiking and ramp up WGDC to push the fall off up top. And without an ECU that lets you reduce power via timing/throttle while shooting for max boost, your next best bet is to control boost vs tps so its not trying to always spool to max giving power creep when steady state is what you want.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
18 x10.5? that surprises me, a lot
Old Aug 11, 2021, 03:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wd4me
18 x10.5? that surprises me, a lot
Me too.

What net offset (wheel offset + spacers) did you end up with? Any idea how much camber it took to get those to tuck?
Old Aug 12, 2021, 07:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Nothing is going to tuck a 18x10.5 out back. If you are running on the 10.5's out back, you have to be at a 4x4 ride height. I previously ran the ever popular 18x10.5 NT03+M wheels / 285mm tires when I was in ASP for a short time. The amount of rolling/pulling to get these to work isn't for the faint of heart. (This is all assuming STU rules - IE No SSB rear trailing arms to where you could run the 18x10.5 PF01 wheels which would tuck things nicely)

Suraj, we need pics and we need them now!
Old Aug 12, 2021, 07:25 AM
EvoM Guru

On another note, the Midwest Divisionals in Lincoln is happening this weekend!

STU is shaping up to have some good competition:

I rechecked my string alignment after noticing one of my fronts was wearing faster on the inner half than the outer half. Sure enough, i was running a 1/2 inch of toe in on my passenger side corner. I'm just going to get this thing professionally aligned before the big show in September.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry not 18x10.5, my bad. Sorry for the confusion, I'll chock that up to old age.

18x10 RPF1s 38mm offset wheel with 3mm spacer for an effective offset of 35mm. More negative camber than I'm used to running in the back to get them to tuck in. There's evidence of slight rubbing on the trailing arm during hard cornering but nothing to be concerned about. The tire does poke out a bit but under compression the rear gains camber (so it dynamically tucks in) and it isn't hitting the rear quarters so I think I'm good. Either way the new levels of grip have been eye opening to say the least.

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Aug 12, 2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 08:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Sorry not 18x10.5, my bad. Sorry for the confusion, I'll chock that up to old age.

18x10 RPF1s 38mm offset wheel with 3mm spacer for an effective offset of 35mm. More negative camber than I'm used to running in the back to get them to tuck in. There's evidence of slight rubbing on the trailing arm during hard cornering but nothing to be concerned about. The tire does poke out a bit but under compression the rear gains camber (so it dynamically tucks in) and it isn't hitting the rear quarters so I think I'm good. Either way the new levels of grip have been eye opening to say the least.
No worries, bud! Glad to hear the evo has some new found grip!
Old Aug 18, 2021, 05:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Just like that, the 2021 SCCA SOLO Mid Divisional is over with!

We couldn't have asked for better weather over the course of the weekend. Low to mid 80's with a nice breeze! Good to see Mark and Kevin in their evos. Also a great group of guys/gal from CO to chat with. Those M3's are absolutely beautiful and I would love to drive one in STU trim...

STU had 9 competitors for the weekend. I tried treating this much like a National event - focusing on the first 3 runs (even though we got 4). Day 1 Mark Hill and I both got off to a quick start. We both ran a 58.0XX. On my 2nd run I had a 57.690 which showed as clean for the longest time, then later it did end up showing a cone. I know there were a couple spots where I was right on top of a couple key cones, so one of them must have bit me. I was up over Mark by about a tenth after day 1 - but my clean run was my 4th which wouldn't have got it done. Frustrating, but that happens. Especially on the course we had as there were some risk/reward areas. I took a little too much risk.

Day 2 rolled around and Mark nailed his first run yet again. I wish I had that sort of talent to get it done right out the gate, but I'm usually quicker on my 3rd run at most events. I played catch up for the remainder of my runs and ended up with a run that was about 3 tenths off his fast run. He took 1st overall for the weekend and I took 2nd! What a battle and great preparation for Nationals! I literally cannot wait for early September!

Ultimately, this event was also a trial for running with a co-driver on a warm/sunny day to see if I could keep the tires in check. I feel like it was absolutely harder to keep the fronts in check, but I don't have data to truly back that up. We probably should have busted out the pyrometers before and after spraying the tires down, just to see if it was impacting the carcass temps. Another thing I have to consider, is I don't really have time to think in between runs. Between helping my co-driver, discussing his run and then trying to mentally prep myself for my run, it's a lot going on in a very short period of time...

The evo feels quite good where she currently sits with the staggered setup. This is the most comfy I've felt behind the wheel of this new setup since I started early this year. I'm going to get the car aligned prior to Nationals as my camber up front could use a slight adjustment. Probably adjust the toe slightly as well.

Results:

ViciousLSD (Aug 25, 2021)
Old Aug 18, 2021, 07:32 AM
EvoM Guru

If you think you're going to over heat the tires, start spraying them before they get hot. Its all about heat management and saturation. On hot days dual driving we have to spray the fronts twice to shed the heat. We did an event where air temps were 105 and temps people were reading on course were 115. That took even more special work, we sprayed the tires while rolling into grid to get enough coverage on the tire to really hit the whole thing.

But nice job battling with Mark. And always jealous of that home court advantage running in lincoln .
LV///R (Aug 18, 2021)
Old Aug 18, 2021, 09:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
If you think you're going to over heat the tires, start spraying them before they get hot. Its all about heat management and saturation. On hot days dual driving we have to spray the fronts twice to shed the heat. We did an event where air temps were 105 and temps people were reading on course were 115. That took even more special work, we sprayed the tires while rolling into grid to get enough coverage on the tire to really hit the whole thing.

But nice job battling with Mark. And always jealous of that home court advantage running in lincoln .
We did try and start spraying from the first run on. I didn't have my water sprayer blanket/wrap yet, so I was just spraying luke warm water. Is there truly a benefit between spraying ice cold water to luke warm? I know there was a big discussion about that somewhere... Either way, 'tis a good idea about spraying as I roll into the grid. Didn't really think about that before - it would at the very least make it easier!

Thanks! It is always fun battling him because we've been within a tenth or two pretty much any time we've ran against each other this year. Looking forward to hopefully having some evos toward the peaky end in STU at Nationals this year!
Old Aug 18, 2021, 09:16 AM
EvoM Guru

I dont give any concern to water temp when spraying tires. Technically colder water would be better especially when saturating the tires constantly but I care more about the evaporation than anything.
LV///R (Aug 23, 2021)

Quick Reply: 2021 STU Discussion