Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2022 STU discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 07:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 449 Likes on 383 Posts
I wasn't able to get the rear to slip all day so my car was in "FWD mode" (still too much grip at the back @36psi). I only got 18k rear springs
The following users liked this post:
LV///R (Aug 8, 2022)
Old Aug 8, 2022, 07:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MrAWD
AO52 was proclaimed as the top dog.
Top dog with national champ level driving skills. I have not seen anyone else improve with these tires.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 07:55 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
Top dog with national champ level driving skills. I have not seen anyone else improve with these tires.
The issue is the same as people going to Hoosiers for the first time. You think you'll be a hero cause hoosier but they are properly numb. So it takes time to really learn to drive them if you've only driven stiff walled tires like RE71 or RT660. May also require a setup change as well, but when you get it they are pure magic.

The other aspect, on asphalt its slightly better but on concrete its WAY better.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 08:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've ran 2 events on the new 71RS (285/35) and got my first ever 1000 points (with the other event being a 996). In fact the last 3 events locally, the 1000 points were all taken by 71RS's (my evo in stu, a cobalt SS in STH, a Civic in HS). I'm saving mine for Nats but also have a set of 265's that I'll be running locally. I've ran 265 Yoks. For my car and my driving style the 71RS are a faster, gripper tire. They seem to hold up really well to dual inputs (breaking and turning). I've been telling people they've got the grip (and initial grip) of AO52's, but the sidewall strength (and weight) of something like a RT660.

Either way, they've been proven to be a top tire in my local region.
LV///R (Aug 8, 2022)
Old Aug 8, 2022, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Yeah, I gotta say this is the tamest the rear of my car has been - when running on the RE71RS out back. We'll see if that holds true in a couple weeks.

My thoughts so far over the course of the year:

CR1/CRS Square /and/ A052 F/CR1 R combo - I could slide the rear around like no ones business. Car felt RWD at times. Still could put down crazy good times with that being said. Very predictable when the rear would let go and not snappy. Easily could hold a power slide and was probably the most fun to drive at the time.

Falken square setup - where's the grip? What grip? For my car/setup - these just felt like they were on off switches. And not much in terms of "on". Could have been a setup issue - as I didn't really change much going to these. I still remember people voicing their concerns with the late 21 date coded tires - not feeling the same - etc. I've also heard a good heat cycle is needed or a shave for these to be optimal.

A052 F / RE71RS R - all the grip out back. Car feels simply planted and is hard now to get any sort of rotation unless I really manhandle the car. I would like to do a full RE71RS setup all the way around just to see. I FEEL like these tires are robbing some straight line power due to the extra weight/rotating mass - compared to the lighter A052 tires. The car just felt slower in straight line. Could have been messing with my head as even at a 6000rpm launch - there was no wheel spin/slight bog.

A052 square - feels very similar to the A052/RE71RS setup - but will revisit. Might be nice to get a LITTLE rotation back.

I am CURIOUS how the RE71RS wears. Meaning - is the tire going to prematurely heat cycle out like the old RE71R did at half life or so? If so, that'll probably be a concern. But I'm genuinely happy with these tires over the past couple events.

Last edited by LV///R; Aug 8, 2022 at 09:00 AM.
ViciousLSD (Aug 8, 2022)
Old Aug 8, 2022, 08:30 AM
EvoM Guru

I wasn't able to get the rear to slip all day so my car was in "FWD mode" (still too much grip at the back @36psi). I only got 18k rear springs

You definitely could go up in rear rate - especially with the RE71RS tires. I'll be trying 22k rears this weekend. Or just throw a pair of CR1/CRS out back and see how that feels!
Old Aug 8, 2022, 08:39 AM
EvoM Guru

STU - Still holding steady at 36 entries for the 2022 - SCCA Solo Nationals!

Old Aug 8, 2022, 08:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by LV///R
You definitely could go up in rear rate - especially with the RE71RS tires. I'll be trying 22k rears this weekend. Or just throw a pair of CR1/CRS out back and see how that feels!
I've had 2 events on my 22k rear springs and the safety steward had to give me a visit both times I'll set them up on my Shaftworks when they get here, I hope I'm ready for this spring rate
Old Aug 8, 2022, 08:55 AM
EvoM Guru

I've had 2 events on my 22k rear springs and the safety steward had to give me a visit both times I'll set them up on my Shaftworks when they get here, I hope I'm ready for this spring rate

Oops! haha

Which tires were you on at the time? RT660?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 09:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
The issue is the same as people going to Hoosiers for the first time. You think you'll be a hero cause hoosier but they are properly numb. So it takes time to really learn to drive them if you've only driven stiff walled tires like RE71 or RT660. May also require a setup change as well, but when you get it they are pure magic.

The other aspect, on asphalt its slightly better but on concrete its WAY better.
I got FTD/Top PAX in ASP several years back but when Street/200tw became the norm, I had learn to drive more aggressively (i could have the wrong local heros) and maybe I cant switch back to Hoosier-driving mode, These days I'm only after 'FTD with a driven-to-events car', maybe a little show on the side
Old Aug 8, 2022, 09:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Oops! haha

Which tires were you on at the time? RT660?
RE71R. Both times were top-of-2nd gear. will try again, need to make sure everyone signs the waiver
Old Aug 8, 2022, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I am CURIOUS how the RE71RS wears. Meaning - is the tire going to prematurely heat cycle out like the old RE71R did at half life or so? If so, that'll probably be a concern. But I'm genuinely happy with these tires over the past couple events.
If I remember correctly, AO52 didn't do well regarding the wear...did that change too?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:02 AM
EvoM Guru

If I remember correctly, AO52 didn't do well regarding the wear...did that change too?
Define what you mean there. Referencing just tire wear in general as compared to other 200TW tires, or heat cycling out?

In regards to heat cycling - I feel like the A052 is good down to the cords/chunking. By good - I mean competitive. At least in my experience in Lincoln, I've ran on some very well used A052 tires that are down to getting those small little chunks of rubber showing prior to cording. I feel like while yes, they may be slightly dropped off in capability - they are still absolutely fast. I'd still choose the highly worn A052 over a fresh set of Falkens if it came down to it. I haven't noticed a drop off in PAX comparison vs the local Nationals Trophy/Champions when running on very used up A052s.

Now in terms of just overall lifespan of use? Yeah - they wear pretty fast. I couldn't even tell you how many runs in Lincoln I could get on a set as this year has been testing galore. I hope next year I can get a better gauge of that. I'd estimate somewhere in the range of 60 to 80 runs before they are down to the cords on the evo at least? Just a wild guess... My miata friends are obviously getting quite a bit more than that, which I'm a little jealous of.

Ultimately I have a set of 2019 tires that I'm running on for points events/mid divs/etc. I should do a back to back comparison of those vs my fresh set in 2 weeks but there's only so much time in the day!

Last edited by LV///R; Aug 8, 2022 at 10:23 AM.
MrAWD (Aug 8, 2022)
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:02 AM
EvoM Guru

I tried flipping them early. They suck!!!! I threw them out. I should have given it to a new-guy
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Good luck to all you Nats guys.
Me:

Quick Reply: 2022 STU discussion