Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2022 STU discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 07:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So I’m a bit confused on the battery legality discussion. I have an Odyssey pc680 in the car now. It’s not lithium. Is it legal? My catch can setup requires a small battery placement so I don’t have many options.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 08:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by tolas
So I’m a bit confused on the battery legality discussion. I have an Odyssey pc680 in the car now. It’s not lithium. Is it legal? My catch can setup requires a small battery placement so I don’t have many options.
Getting in on this as well as I read a RRX thread about this. Seems like people were freaking out in the Street classes - which that change wouldn't be legal. For Street touring - I believe it to be legal but would love to hear an opposing point of view.

Thread located here: https://www.roadraceautox.com/forum/...-solo-fastrack

Old Aug 9, 2022, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by LV///R
Getting in on this as well as I read a RRX thread about this. Seems like people were freaking out in the Street classes - which that change wouldn't be legal. For Street touring - I believe it to be legal but would love to hear an opposing point of view.
Interesting. They way I'd read that is that if it's sold as a 12V battery, then it's legal. Especially since all batteries vary slightly in voltage.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 06:24 AM
EvoM Guru

So it doesn't hurt to look things over from time to time. Yesterday I set out to make some more minor changes to the evo. An increase in rear spring rate and a much needed ride height raise. Picture included with the front height when I was running a 285 square tire setup.

When I got to the spring swapping in the rear - I noticed the isolator was cracked. Note to anyone using Swift Tenders with their main springs. Replace the cheap plastic spacer/isolators that sit in between the springs. Mine cracked - and I'm kinda wondering if this attributed to some odd sensations in the rear at the Mid Divisionals. Why these aren't metal to begin with, I'm uncertain. These come with their tender springs (that have spring rate). I feel like they may work OK on some chassis' that aren't as violent as the evo. Maybe I'm wrong here....

Either way - I went with the anodized aluminum versions from Eibach instead. Should have these by Monday. Next event is a TNT and points event in Lincoln in a week! Brandon - who drives a STU Type R is also coming all the way from Texas to get some more time up here. I'm a huge proponent in swaying people to get up/down here as much as they can. Hopefully I'll get a chance to ride in his car to see what it's all about.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Geez, mine from the rear wasn’t cracked but I’m using a helper spring instead of a tender which is only 50 pounds.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 03:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 449 Likes on 383 Posts
I have been using the plastic ones from my KWv3, passed down to FAs (and Shaftworks). No problems. 2kg helpers. I have the the Swift helpers with isolators but have not used them yet
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Pretty awesome to see a couple evo drivers in picks to win the 2022 SCCA Solo Nationals: https://www.scca.com/polls/1965828
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:14 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Apparently Im not even on the radar
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J

I saw that too - and was like W T F?

There are a handful of other classes that are missing some strong contenders, but you gotta take this all with a grain of salt, no doubt.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:21 AM

And I'm not even on the map! Nor should I be . Though my goal is to beat all the other Colorado STU drivers, including Killourhy who made the poll! Wondering how much the trophies will just come down to who was able to get the right tires at the right time.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:32 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
The Tsangs are very likely to be at the top and Bill Zerr is missing from registration. Thought he would be there with Dan P. but he's also always fast.

STU is going to be exciting
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by tolas
And I'm not even on the map! Nor should I be . Though my goal is to beat all the other Colorado STU drivers, including Killourhy who made the poll! Wondering how much the trophies will just come down to who was able to get the right tires at the right time.
So how close are you usually to Killourhy? He obviously performed well at Spring nationals with that Porsche...

It'll definitely be interesting to see how things play out in regards to the tire situation - no doubt!
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

The Tsangs are very likely to be at the top and Bill Zerr is missing from registration. Thought he would be there with Dan P. but he's also always fast.

STU is going to be exciting

Yeah definitely surprised to not see the Tsangs up on that list either. I hear that Zerr might not be coming and someone else will be co-driving with Podhola in the STI.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 449 Likes on 383 Posts
still better to be the underdogs
is XA a national class now?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
still better to be the underdogs

is XA a national class now?

I agree. There's something about coming into an event where no one really knows your name, etc.

I don't believe it to be a jacket class this year. I'd love to understand why it isn't as it's probably deterring a LOT of people from competing in that class...

Quick Reply: 2022 STU discussion