Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2022 STU discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2022, 05:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
What a weekend....

This past Saturday was the NRSCCA TNT. Not only was a 2016 Nationals course an option, but there was also secondary couse as well as the option for a long slalom test course.

However it wasn't without issue. For whatever reason, the Nats course hit ALL the bumpy areas on the track. Wasn't necessary my happiest moment being I just went up in rate in the rear to see if I could get a little more rotation back. Bounce city and it wasn't just my car. I rode in a STU prepped Type-R, a STS miata and a handful of others and pretty much all got the pogo-stick bouncing from time to time. This was frustrating - and I only ended up doing approximately 9 runs for the day. At the end of the day - I went back to the previous spring setup. I'm just going to leave it be for Nationals and send it!

Side note - that Type-R is absolutely more than capable of trophying or even taking the top spot with the right driver and mindset. The thrust in 2nd gear felt like it pulled harder than the evo. When I rode with him, there were times where I was thinking to myself, "There's no way this is going to stick" yet it simply did. I was beyond impressed with this chassis and driver. Ultimately he was only a few tenths off my fast TNT time for the day.

After Saturday was over - I was absolutely concerned about my chances at Nationals. The car felt absolutely awful - but still was fairly competitive vs some of the TNT times the other big dogs were puting down. Ultimately, I'm hoping that we don't hit some of the spots we did this weekend!

Sunday comes around and I'm ready for a new day. Still on my 2019 A052 fronts that only have about 30% life left. After my first three runs - I told myself that the tires were down on grip and losing tenths due to age/wear. However there were two areas I was overshooting on entry and absolutely screwing my exit. I focused on those two areas and dropped a good 6 tenths. Finally taking the top spot in PRO/PAX class for the day (Riley H. was driving in STS - otherwise he would have destroyed us all in PAX class - He took top overall PAX).

Note to self - check damper settings before you take your first run. After the event was over, I usually turn down the compression and rebound for the drive home. Well - i noticed my rear high speed compression was all the way turned down. Also one rear corner had max rebound and the other min rebound. W T F.

Car is set and ready for Nationals. I'll have some freshly broken in meats up front with some slightly used rears. I'm confident in what this car can do - just gotta get the mind right and go in full attack mode come Nats!

Youtube fast run:
Overall PAX Results: https://live.nrscca.com/PaxIndexDay1.html
Full live timing Page: https://live.nrscca.com/
The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (Aug 25, 2022)
Old Aug 22, 2022, 05:40 AM
EvoM Guru

@Dallas J I am still trying to attack those cones....

The following users liked this post:
RobbieOh (Aug 22, 2022)
Old Aug 22, 2022, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
Note to self - check damper settings before you take your first run. After the event was over, I usually turn down the compression and rebound for the drive home. Well - i noticed my rear high speed compression was all the way turned down. Also one rear corner had max rebound and the other min rebound. W T F.
This part caught my interest...back in days with my 2G with Penske triples, I mostly used the same settings for both street driving and Hoosiers that I raced with. Now with MCS doubles (D-Street setup), there is a big gap between the race setup and daily driving.

I am wondering what that is...could it be just a difference between the different shocks? What else?

ps. just in case someone thought about it, the ride on 2G was pretty normal and since I was driving it to Nationals all 1,600 miles it was still pretty comfortable
Old Aug 22, 2022, 07:54 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Nice! Looked like a few other areas with plenty of room to push the cones but definitely getting close now.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 08:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MrAWD
This part caught my interest...back in days with my 2G with Penske triples, I mostly used the same settings for both street driving and Hoosiers that I raced with. Now with MCS doubles (D-Street setup), there is a big gap between the race setup and daily driving.

I am wondering what that is...could it be just a difference between the different shocks? What else?

ps. just in case someone thought about it, the ride on 2G was pretty normal and since I was driving it to Nationals all 1,600 miles it was still pretty comfortable
Probably a difference in valving/piston design I'd venture to guess.

My JRZ's had a very much noticeable difference in ride quality from the softer settings to the firm. Probably the greatest range I've seemingly felt from a damper over the course of my different coilover setups. The Shaftworks do as well, but maybe slightly less? I guess I haven't tried the very upper stiffness settings as of yet.

I haven't really tried leaving the settings be after I've raced for the drive home. It would most definitely be easier to leave it as is, but I'd have to assume my comfort level would decrease if left at my race settings.

Next time I'll do a little bit of testing on my way home. My thought was to turn the compression all the say down but leave some rebound in it still. There are some absolutely rough areas on the way down and back...

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Nice! Looked like a few other areas with plenty of room to push the cones but definitely getting close now.
Agreed. That run was definitely lacking in a handful of spots where I just couldn't get it tidy enough to shave of a handful of tenths probably. I've never had the greatest peripheral sight - especially considering I have amblyopia in one of my eyes.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Probably a difference in valving/piston design I'd venture to guess.

My JRZ's had a very much noticeable difference in ride quality from the softer settings to the firm.
Same here with my MCS's. Unfortunately, compression adjuster is for high seed and has almost no valuable tuning on my car. The only change I make is to add lots of rebound all over. But, that is mainly due to having OEM spring on the car that way too soft for what we used them for. With STU car, at least that part can be corrected so shocks could be use in way they are suppose to be used.

I haven't really tried leaving the settings be after I've raced for the drive home. It would most definitely be easier to leave it as is, but I'd have to assume my comfort level would decrease if left at my race settings.

Next time I'll do a little bit of testing on my way home. My thought was to turn the compression all the say down but leave some rebound in it still. There are some absolutely rough areas on the way down and back...
It is interesting that you still need to adjust compression on your car for racing setup. With both compression adjustment available, high speed was never changed after the initial setup. Low speed would be taken down if it is raining for example. All of the changes I needed to do is extra click or two for rear rebound when going from asphalt to concrete. Miss those days for sure...
Old Aug 22, 2022, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Same here with my MCS's. Unfortunately, compression adjuster is for high seed and has almost no valuable tuning on my car. The only change I make is to add lots of rebound all over. But, that is mainly due to having OEM spring on the car that way too soft for what we used them for. With STU car, at least that part can be corrected so shocks could be use in way they are suppose to be used.

It is interesting that you still need to adjust compression on your car for racing setup. With both compression adjustment available, high speed was never changed after the initial setup. Low speed would be taken down if it is raining for example. All of the changes I needed to do is extra click or two for rear rebound when going from asphalt to concrete. Miss those days for sure...

Makes sense. I don't think I HAVE to - I just haven't tried yet.

To clarify between autox and then street driving, I'm leaving my low speed compression alone. I'm just turning down the high speed compression and rebound for street driving.

It would be more ideal if I just left it alone, then I wouldn't run the risk of running those wonky settings like I did in the rear on Sunday!
Old Aug 22, 2022, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Makes sense. I don't think I HAVE to - I just haven't tried yet.

To clarify between autox and then street driving, I'm leaving my low speed compression alone. I'm just turning down the high speed compression and rebound for street driving.

It would be more ideal if I just left it alone, then I wouldn't run the risk of running those wonky settings like I did in the rear on Sunday!
I am wondering why do you need additional compression setting for your race setup - what is it that you gain by increasing low speed setting?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 09:08 AM
EvoM Guru

I am wondering why do you need additional compression setting for your race setup - what is it that you gain by increasing low speed setting?
More info here: https://www.penskeshocks.com/blog/wh...n-adjusters-do

It's absolutely not needed, IMO. And by no means am I an expert with this because the more I dive into this black art - the more confused I'm left to be. Talking to people - you get conflicting answers. Even reading various website - there's still different trains of thought as well. It's not a black and white subject it seems.

Low speed is normally set closer to max for autox conditions - it really makes a difference in feel through slaloms for example. Transitional elements. If you run too low of a setting - the car almost "skates" before taking set.

My thought process was if I run in cool, wet or cold conditions, I would simply be able to drop down the low speed compression rather than worrying about bar changes, etc.

Last edited by LV///R; Aug 22, 2022 at 09:21 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

@Dallas J

After reviewing here are my thoughts. For the greater good of all reading through this thread and dissecting video!

2:39 - I feel like I was definitely not getting on top of the cone on the left hand side. Kind of a mishap in braking into that turn as well.

2:48 - I know I was also wide to the right of the cone(s) on the left there. According to Solostorm/video on my previous run - I was tighter and that seemingly netted me about 2 tenths right there

2:55 - I was partial throttle exiting - could have been WOT without issue there.

3:15 - double braked and unsure I really needed to there. I know the previous run probably got in my head as I got all sort of out of whack in that finish section.

Anything else I'm missing?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:19 AM
EvoM Guru

• The stretch after the start, I would have carried 1st longer
  • 2:38-39 was really wide off that line, and pushed you right coming into that 2cone offset
  • Same at 2:48
  • 2:56 looks like you're a fair bit off that inside cone (passenger side), but hard to tell
  • 3:15 I think you could have gotten the line there to just come in hot, hard to say without doing it. Sometimes hard to stop the brain from doing it automatically
  • Thinking about the slaloms, I don't know what their pace count was but Ive been finding a lot more success on the long slaloms with punching it between elements and lifting to get the rotation.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the link!
This is the one that I relied mostly for the setting my car:
https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/4...00-series.html
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:38 AM
EvoM Guru

• The stretch after the start, I would have carried 1st longer
  • 2:38-39 was really wide off that line, and pushed you right coming into that 2cone offset
  • Same at 2:48
  • 2:56 looks like you're a fair bit off that inside cone (passenger side), but hard to tell
  • 3:15 I think you could have gotten the line there to just come in hot, hard to say without doing it. Sometimes hard to stop the brain from doing it automatically
  • Thinking about the slaloms, they were spaced approximately 75 foot. I don't know what their pace count was but I've been finding a lot more success on the long slaloms with punching it between elements and lifting to get the rotation.
Perfect. Sounds like we're much on the same page.

Yeah I was a little hesitant about riding out 1st gear with the pogoing issues from Saturday. Sometimes going around that 1st left after the launch the car almost wanted to hop but never got to that point - so that was in the back of my mind. There was definitely some time to be had by riding 1st out - as I was only shifting around like 6k according to memory.

In regards to the slaloms - I used to be on and off the gas quite a bit. Last year really changed the way I did them and probably developed a bad habit because it was SO loose last year. Hard to correct old habits - but I will focus on that some more if the rear will hold it! Thanks Dallas!

Thanks for the link!
This is the one that I relied mostly for the setting my car:
https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/4...00-series.html
Absolutely! I'll take a peek at that one.

Here's another one - I believe I've posted before but never hurts to post again: http://ozebiz.com/racetech/theory/sh...KTPQSKUYOKmaZ0
Old Aug 30, 2022, 05:06 PM
EvoM Guru

When you were told your tires were 2019 dated and you look and see this....👀
Old Aug 30, 2022, 08:02 PM
EvoM Guru

That tires so old its sitting on the porch yelling at kids to get off its lawn

Im going to be rolling in with 16 tires in the trailer... This stuff is getting out of control!

Quick Reply: 2022 STU discussion