Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2022 STU discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2022, 06:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
That nature in the background has some orange peel going on.
Haha - why yes it does! Pretty awesome to see that. Plus you can see all the loose gravel we have to deal with contstantly here. We blow everything off prior to the first runs - but it's a matter of time before more gets ripped up! Looking forward to getting back out there in a week for the season finale for me - at least locally.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Great job all of you at Nats! Well done.
Now that the silly season has started, I've been playing around with the idea of changing the trim on Evo 8MR to an Evo 8RS. Mainly for the reliability of the 5 speed tranny. The way I look at it only 2 things would need to be done. Get a 5 speed Evo8 tranny, shifter and cables and remove ABS on the car.
My thinking is switching to motorized power windows and lock should be covered under the comfort and convience rule, as you are adding weight to the car.
RS came with regular halogen headlights but I believe you can switch out headlights for one that are equal weight or heavier under the comfort and convience rule. GSR and MR came with heavier HID headlights which are heavier.
RS had no rear wiper but GSR and MR did, which might be covered under comfort and convience rule again. Again added weight.
Also no sound deadening on the RS but you can always add sound deadening to the RS as comfort and convience, which the MR has.
Which leaves the only one thing. ABS. The 05 RS came without ABS. GSR and MR did. Which would mean disabling or removing ABS.
Both RS and MR came with the aluminium roof.
What do you guys think?
Old Sep 16, 2022, 05:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Great job all of you at Nats! Well done.
Now that the silly season has started, I've been playing around with the idea of changing the trim on Evo 8MR to an Evo 8RS. Mainly for the reliability of the 5 speed tranny. The way I look at it only 2 things would need to be done. Get a 5 speed Evo8 tranny, shifter and cables and remove ABS on the car.
My thinking is switching to motorized power windows and lock should be covered under the comfort and convience rule, as you are adding weight to the car.
RS came with regular halogen headlights but I believe you can switch out headlights for one that are equal weight or heavier under the comfort and convience rule. GSR and MR came with heavier HID headlights which are heavier.
RS had no rear wiper but GSR and MR did, which might be covered under comfort and convience rule again. Again added weight.
Also no sound deadening on the RS but you can always add sound deadening to the RS as comfort and convience, which the MR has.
Which leaves the only one thing. ABS. The 05 RS came without ABS. GSR and MR did. Which would mean disabling or removing ABS.
Both RS and MR came with the aluminium roof.
What do you guys think?
Thanks man!

I'm curious to hear other's thoughts on this whether his ideas would fall under comfort and convenience or if it would technically be updating/backdating? To me - this seems more like updating/back dating, but I could be wrong. If so - it seems updating/backdating isn't allowed until you reach the Street Prepared levels. So technically, no GSR/SE/MR could take out all the sound deadening, remove the radio/speakers, remove ABS, manual locks/windows, rear wiper, etc, correct?

IF I'm wrong in the statements above then:

in regards to the 6 speed - isn't 4th gear more of a concern than anything? It's been a long time since I've revisited the 6 speed weaknesses, but if you're only using it for autox and that is indeed true (4th gear issue), then I think it'd be a waste of your time, money and effort, IMO.

Since I own an RS - I would seriously think long and hard about ditching the ABS if you do go that route. I feel like I am definitely giving up time on hard braking zones compare to the ABS counterparts. I will say if it's wet out at Nationals some year - I'm really going to be concerned not having it. Food for thought!
Old Sep 16, 2022, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LV///R
Thanks man!

I'm curious to hear other's thoughts on this whether his ideas would fall under comfort and convenience or if it would technically be updating/backdating? To me - this seems more like updating/back dating, but I could be wrong. If so - it seems updating/backdating isn't allowed until you reach the Street Prepared levels. So technically, no GSR/SE/MR could take out all the sound deadening, remove the radio/speakers, remove ABS, manual locks/windows, rear wiper, etc, correct?

IF I'm wrong in the statements above then:

in regards to the 6 speed - isn't 4th gear more of a concern than anything? It's been a long time since I've revisited the 6 speed weaknesses, but if you're only using it for autox and that is indeed true (4th gear issue), then I think it'd be a waste of your time, money and effort, IMO.

Since I own an RS - I would seriously think long and hard about ditching the ABS if you do go that route. I feel like I am definitely giving up time on hard braking zones compare to the ABS counterparts. I will say if it's wet out at Nationals some year - I'm really going to be concerned not having it. Food for thought!
Correct it's 4th gear that is the main concern. Knock on wood it hasn't been an issue for as long as I've owned the car. But I also haven't turned up the boost on my car yet, which I'm planning on doing. The problem is when it does go, there are no places that repair the 6 speed anymore. So keeping a 05 5 speed handy makes sense. As far as wasting money, welcome to motorsports. We aren't the smartest people when it comes to saving money. 🤣

Updating/backdating is a concern only when you switch parts between generation/year models. Eg: if I switched to Evo9 5 speed tranny (slightly different gearing) and Evo9 engine/turbo. Both would have to be done together per *SP rules. That's updating/backdating.

in Street and ST* you are allowed to fully switch between trim levels provided in the same year model. And ST rules are even more lax as it allows factory wing and spoilers, etc to be installed that are on the same year model. Comfort and convenience should cover most parts as it doesn't reduce weight over the RS model. Lots of people switch with after market tail lamps/headlights.

I would also consider a roof swap to the GSR steel roof but that might be harder than just disabling ABS. Not to mention impossible to find.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 07:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Correct it's 4th gear that is the main concern. Knock on wood it hasn't been an issue for as long as I've owned the car. But I also haven't turned up the boost on my car yet, which I'm planning on doing. The problem is when it does go, there are no places that repair the 6 speed anymore. So keeping a 05 5 speed handy makes sense. As far as wasting money, welcome to motorsports. We aren't the smartest people when it comes to saving money. 🤣

Updating/backdating is a concern only when you switch parts between generation/year models. Eg: if I switched to Evo9 5 speed tranny (slightly different gearing) and Evo9 engine/turbo. Both would have to be done together per *SP rules. That's updating/backdating.

in Street and ST* you are allowed to fully switch between trim levels provided in the same year model. And ST rules are even more lax as it allows factory wing and spoilers, etc to be installed that are on the same year model. Comfort and convenience should cover most parts as it doesn't reduce weight over the RS model. Lots of people switch with after market tail lamps/headlights.

I would also consider a roof swap to the GSR steel roof but that might be harder than just disabling ABS. Not to mention impossible to find.

I mean I should be one to talk with being concerned about anyone wasting money.

Thank you for clarifying that and putting it to rest for me. I've heard so many opposing views that it made me wonder.

I still stand pretty firm in leaving ABS alone as it is a concern for me at least. I believe the Berry IX RS evo also swapped in ABS at some point and time - just saying.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I still stand pretty firm in leaving ABS alone as it is a concern for me at least. I believe the Berry IX RS evo also swapped in ABS at some point and time - just saying.
I 100% agree with you on EVO ABS. I have seen lots of different ones out there and EVO has a pretty darn good one. Few times I have seen EVOs hard on the brakes where some other cars wouldn't even think of touching them. It is hard to imaging that non-ABS EVO would be quicker than the ABS one!
The following users liked this post:
LV///R (Sep 16, 2022)
Old Sep 16, 2022, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

I mean I should be one to talk with being concerned about anyone wasting money.

Thank you for clarifying that and putting it to rest for me. I've heard so many opposing views that it made me wonder.

Perhaps we can write a letter to the STAC to allow ABS in the class in the same year model as long as it exist in different trims in the same year. ST* classes allow disabling ABS for a performance advantage, so why not allow ABS? Especially since adding it also adds weight.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
maybe easier to do an option package conversion to a GSR or GSR SE (if you want the aluminum roof) package to get the 5 speed and ABS rather than converting to an RS and then adding back in ABS.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
maybe easier to do an option package conversion to a GSR or GSR SE (if you want the aluminum roof) package to get the 5 speed and ABS rather than converting to an RS and then adding back in ABS.
GSR SE was only an option with the 06 Evo IX. I would totally do an SE converstion if that was an option with the 05 Evo VIII as that would be the easier conversion if the 6 speed goes out. I'll write a letter to the CRB to allow the addition of ABS but not removal of ABS and see what happens. Currently disabling ABS is allowed.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
feel free to write the letter but it seems very unlikely to me (personally) that something like that would be approved by the STAC/SEB.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Yea although I've written a letter I doubt the STAC/SEB will do anything either. Why make it easier for the membership with older cars when they can keep things complicated when there is a chip and car shortage.

Anyways here is what I wrote:

" I would like to propose allowing cars in the ST classes to add ABS from a different trim from the same model year. Currently there are provisions for cars to disable ABS but no provision for cars to add ABS if they are missing ABS.

All modern cars come with ABS and traction control. People usually disable ABS for racing purposes but some people prefer the added safety of ABS. I would like to propose if a different trim within the same model year has ABS, we allow cars to add ABS from the same model year but a different trim. ST competitors can add body parts, eg: spoilers, trim pieces, wings, from other trims in the same year model, this would just allow competitors to add ABS.

This adds some level of safety for the driver when driving on the roads and can help conserve tires by reducing the chances of them getting flat spotted. Especially when there seems to be a global chip shortage and tire shortage. Good tires have been out of stock for most of the year. Cars are on back order. Helping keep the cars that we currently own safe would go a long way.

This allowance would also add weight to the car and doesn't necessarily improve braking preformance compared to non ABS cars. This would mostly impact most cars from the mid 1990s to the mid 2000s.

The wording could look like:

"Addition of ABS is allowed provided that it is a standard or optional production part which could be ordered on the US model vehicle as part of the base package or part of a higher trim package. The trim package must be classed in any of the current Street Touring classes. Removal of ABS on any trim is not allowed."

Thank you for your consideration. "
Old Sep 17, 2022, 05:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Correct it's 4th gear that is the main concern. Knock on wood it hasn't been an issue for as long as I've owned the car. But I also haven't turned up the boost on my car yet, which I'm planning on doing. The problem is when it does go, there are no places that repair the 6 speed anymore.
https://www.jackstransmissions.com/t...-build-options ?
I emailed TRE as well. I have a vague recollection they may have redone the 6 speed on the Gears & Gasoline car.

I'm in a similar situation. I was considering doing a package conversion to the 9 SE if my 6 speed dies since it would save ~25 lbs and be more reliable. I really do like the 6 speed better on the street though. Plus it is not easy to find an IX-specific 5 speed and I think the cables etc are all NLA.

If you haven't had 6 speed issues yet, maybe look at the other reliability stuff (trans cooler, etc)?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 04:14 PM
EvoM Guru

If anyone is looking for more caster up front, I have a brand new pair of Superpro Duroball offset caster bushings for the front LCA's. I already had ordered a replacement and found that Superpro actually warrantied these (I had the original versions - that started to separate). PM me if interested - $200 shipped/paypal'd.

Old Sep 21, 2022, 05:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Welp, the tires and wheels are here. I went with the 17x9.5 with the 255/40/17. Probably should have went with the 17x10, but I was going for as light of weight as I could - within reason.

Man, does the car pull hard with the lighter setup on. We TENTATIVELY have a 2 day event this weekend at our local lot. I plan on doing some testing vs my Nationals setup.

Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Glad to have someone confirm my subjective feelings about the 17" combo accelerating noticeably harder.

Do you think you have room for 17x10" within the STU fender rules? The trailing arm curves inward, so the smaller diameter wheel is marginally closer to the trailing arm. I can't remember my exact numbers but it requires slightly more offset than an 18x10

Quick Reply: 2022 STU discussion