Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2022 STU discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Do you get wholesale pricing on Yokohamas?
Yep everything TR sells. You'll need a commercial location to qualify which is typical these days. They give me sh*t about shipping "elsewhere" and exempt it once in a blue moon. So it'd be a pickup or ship to me and turnaround ship to you, IF it comes out cheaper. Hoosiers are still cheaper with shipping at TrackDayTire.

Both the 285 and 265 sizes are at about the 40% sold mark. So all 25 of each that are inbound for "6/1/22" will actually be sold out by mid May, so the NEXT truck date won't likely be until August sometime if you wait. Rinse and repeat. I had to get RT615's for GTA next month cause availability is el sucko at the moment.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Yep everything TR sells. You'll need a commercial location to qualify which is typical these days. They give me sh*t about shipping "elsewhere" and exempt it once in a blue moon. So it'd be a pickup or ship to me and turnaround ship to you, IF it comes out cheaper. Hoosiers are still cheaper with shipping at TrackDayTire.

Both the 285 and 265 sizes are at about the 40% sold mark. So all 25 of each that are inbound for "6/1/22" will actually be sold out by mid May, so the NEXT truck date won't likely be until August sometime if you wait. Rinse and repeat. I had to get RT615's for GTA next month cause availability is el sucko at the moment.

Good to know and thanks for sharing! I already put in an order for the 285's this morning. I may just order 2 sets just in case....
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If no one is getting these till 6/1 I don't think they'll be legal for SCCA Solo, right?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by tolas
If no one is getting these till 6/1 I don't think they'll be legal for SCCA Solo, right?
So, that's yet to be answered. I know there's a similar post on RRX about this. Still waiting on confirmation as supposedly there are certain sizes available for purchase right now.

https://www.roadraceautox.com/showth...=1#post2736883

Thankfully with the guy I order tires through, I can cancel if I find out they aren't legal.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 05:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Taken from RRX:

"Luke at TR posted this...

Announcement!!! The Bridgestone Potenza RE71 RS .... there will be a shipment received by Tire Rack next week. The shipment with have 7 different sizes in 4 wheel diameters to make them completely legal for the 2022 season ... thought you might like to know"
Old Apr 25, 2022, 07:14 AM
EvoM Guru

On another positive note, my evo is finally back on the ground. Coilovers are installed, wheels and tires are on, diff is broken in. I've put a bunch of street miles on just to ensure I'm not rubbing in the rear with the wider tires. Car feels great - and has a similar ride quality to the JRZ's that were previously on the car, so that is definitely a plus! Which is a good thing as I've been holding off on going the truck trailer route for now.

This weekend there's another TNT and points event in Lincoln, so I'm excited to finally get back down there in my evo.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Apr 28, 2022)
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:40 PM
EvoM Guru

After the drive home from the alignment shop, I finally got into boost just to ensure everything was fine. Welp, the clutch wasn't having that so the car is currently on jack stands. I have parts hopefully coming tonight and I'm still going to try like hell to get this car down to Lincoln this weekend! Better now, than later...
The following 2 users liked this post by LV///R:
alpinaturbo (Apr 28, 2022), ViciousLSD (Apr 28, 2022)
Old Apr 28, 2022, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
So they are Shaftworks, I never heard of this suspension before.

And the feel- i.e. comfort -on the street is similar to JRZ you had previously.

Typically JRZ, MSC, are considered top-tier "reasonably affordable" dampeners, without going the Ohlins TTX/Reiger/EXE-TC/Samsonas extreme of expense.

Why did you decide to change out the JRZ, and not revalve them if there was some improvement/change required?

What were the spring rates on JRZ, and what spring rates are on Shaftworks?

Very curious, as suspension that is actually compliant on road, but works in performance application, is rare commodity, even at elevated price. Thank you.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 03:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Responses in BOLD!

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo

Jonathan Lugod who's well known in the Autox community and worked at OS Giken, started up his own custom suspension company not that long ago. More info here: https://shaftworksusa.com/ I had a in depth post about everything, I believe in the 2021 STU thread, but I could be mistaken. The doubles and triples use Penske remote reservoirs, but he uses his own custom internals from what I've gathered.

The more that I driven it, the more I'm finding that it's slightly harsher than the JRZ's, but keep in mind I'm now running an 1100lb (20kg'ish?) spring in the rear...so there's that as well.

Typically JRZ, MSC, are considered top-tier "reasonably affordable" dampeners, without going the Ohlins TTX/Reiger/EXE-TC/Samsonas extreme of expense.
Why did you decide to change out the JRZ, and not revalve them if there was some improvement/change required?

I loved my JRZ's and if it were a perfect world, I would have stuck with them. Hands down, the best coilovers I've been on. I'm not sure I'd call their motorsport versions reasonable in regards to price, as the triples retail for almost $10k. Quads were like something ridiculous - $18k. That's not a typo lol. I've been on quite a few different coilovers over the course of 10+ years ( I believe over the 3 evos I've had, I've had somewhere around 10 different coilover brands? AST, Ohlins, KW V3 Robispec'd, Reinharte triples, JRZ motorsport triples to name a few). The problem is with the ride height I wanted to run out back to allow the 285 width tire to work, the JRZ's couldn't get me that sort of height. I even had them install extended shafts after the fact and that STILL wasn't enough. Thus, here I am. Check out the 2021 STU thread for more details about this if curious.

It varied on the JRZ. For awhile it was 800lb F 1000lb R, then 800/800lb when I went to the reverse stagger setup. Shaftworks I'm at 800 / 1100lb. I have a pair of 1200lb springs to try at some point as well if need be.

Very curious, as suspension that is actually compliant on road, but works in performance application, is rare commodity, even at elevated price. Thank you.

This is a sticky subject. My opinion of compliant might be completely different than yours. Most people would probably still complain on the JRZ/Shaftworks setups that I've ran. I haven't really even touched the knobs to see how much better street compliance could get just yet either. I will say when driving 3.5 hours 1 way to Lincoln every month, I by no means am in pain from the harshness of the ride. And we have some pretty poor roods in SD/NE...

Hope this helps!
The following 2 users liked this post by LV///R:
alpinaturbo (Apr 28, 2022), ViciousLSD (Apr 28, 2022)
Old Apr 28, 2022, 03:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo

For what it's worth, I'm still really happy with my Moton Clubsports as far as "supports a competitive ST* car that I don't hate driving on the road".

I don't drive it much during the winter but I was pretty surprised this winter to feel how compliant it is when driving on 225-45-17 snow tires. I'm comparing it to the feel of driving a FoST daily, which is not a fluffy cloud, but it does have stock springs and some aftermarket shocks that ride slightly better than stock (Bilstein fronts, Koni rears).

The critical piece was that when I got it revalved, I had Performance Shock install the double-digressive pistons. That made a huge difference in street ride. Previously only rebound was digressive. More info here

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...l#post10640057

I'm on 700/900 springs, still a ways from 1100 but in the same stiffness ballpark. I think they also have more travel than some of the options here.

travel shot: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...l#post11936172

Last edited by Butt Dyno; Apr 28, 2022 at 03:45 PM.
alpinaturbo (Apr 28, 2022)
Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Thank you LV//VR and Butt Dyno.

I don't AX, but your comments are very helpful - especially when someone has had ~10 coilovers and all higher/high end.

I am moderately experienced in higher quality suspension, but a lot depends on the purpose, and the use of Double Digressive Piston- for both compression and rebound- offering much improved ride , is a fantastic tip! Even more useful since Performance Shock is near me and my preferred reseller/suspension dampener tuner.

I simply do not have space nor inclination to have truck and trailer, so sports suspension that is also acceptably compliant on the road- at least to a degree- is a big plus.
The more versatile the said suspension, the more useful the car.

JRZ sounds like top notch option/choice, and it is really nice to hear the Moton can also be updated, and I also read with interest Balrok's feedback about MSC: he commented how they transformed the Evo over the curbs, that they were hardly felt, where before curbs were really upsetting the chassis. This insinuates that handling bumps in general MSC can do quiet impressively.

Your rates are impressively high, especially considering you managed to conserve some road comfort.

Thank you, appreciate to read and learn your experience.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 08:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 449 Likes on 383 Posts
Do you guys have some quick setup adjustments for a wet course? ACD setting, tire pressures maybe?
Old Apr 29, 2022, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
I only really reduce compression and leave everything else the same.
ViciousLSD (Apr 29, 2022)
Old Apr 29, 2022, 10:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 449 Likes on 383 Posts
I'm thinking of dropping camber from 4 to 2degrees and set toe that works for both. I dont want to hate myself for not trying to make enough changes . This should work better in the wet right?
Old May 2, 2022, 08:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I'm thinking of dropping camber from 4 to 2degrees and set toe that works for both. I dont want to hate myself for not trying to make enough changes . This should work better in the wet right?
Not 100% sure what reducing negative camber would do or if it would help. All I really do for wet is run reduced tire pressures.

Quick Reply: 2022 STU discussion