Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2022 STU discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 09:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 449 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by tolas
Not 100% sure what reducing negative camber would do or if it would help. All I really do for wet is run reduced tire pressures.
better braking - although i already upgraded my rear pads. A while ago I'm locking the fronts even in the dry.
tried 2.2degrees last weekend with the 295 still no rubbing in the fronts
Old May 2, 2022, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Not 100% sure what reducing negative camber would do or if it would help. All I really do for wet is run reduced tire pressures.
There's two aspects of rain that make it very tricky to drive in. First is the change in grip through out the track. You basically end up just hunting for grip the entire run. Second is the difference in grip vs slip. Once the car lets go, it lets go much harder than in the dry.

So reduced camber would hypothetically keep the tires in a happier range when going from grip to slip. Its a better approach to using the outer edge of the tires than reducing pressure because you're just reducing the center force of the tire to gain roll. Some say it can trap water also and more pressure is the way to go.

I prefer to change nothing and just do my thing. I also race in the rain a lot in the PNW, sure helps at Solo Nats where it seems to always rain at least 1 day.
Old May 3, 2022, 07:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If anyone is interested in the 285 Nankangs I finally had some good experience with them. They're definitely not like Yok's with instant(ish) grip on the first run. It took me about 3 runs to get them to optimal temp (60 degrees outside that day). Once up to temp they had incredible grip. They stayed in temp range for all further runs without spraying though on very hot days I can see myself starting to spray after the 3rd run. I ended the day with my highest pax ever in a summer series (992). I think I'd still prefer a 285 Yok, but that's apparently a pipe dream. Overall I'm happy with the "kangs" and would buy them again.
The following users liked this post:
LV///R (May 4, 2022)
Old May 4, 2022, 07:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
If anyone is interested in the 285 Nankangs I finally had some good experience with them. They're definitely not like Yok's with instant(ish) grip on the first run. It took me about 3 runs to get them to optimal temp (60 degrees outside that day). Once up to temp they had incredible grip. They stayed in temp range for all further runs without spraying though on very hot days I can see myself starting to spray after the 3rd run. I ended the day with my highest pax ever in a summer series (992). I think I'd still prefer a 285 Yok, but that's apparently a pipe dream. Overall I'm happy with the "kangs" and would buy them again.

That's good news! Thanks for sharing your feedback with the group! What have you ran on in regards to tires previously to the 285 'Kangs?

Unfortunately, I couldn't make the events in Lincoln this past weekend. Went against my better judgement and bought a used ACT simply because I had a chance of getting the clutch in before Saturday. Received said clutch and to me and everyone I showed, the disc looked almost done with. Ordered a new ACT clutch and honestly, there isn't that much difference in material, so it is what it is! I have local events in a week and a half, then supposedly there might be another TNT in Lincoln the week prior to the Champ tour in Lincoln. Currently we're sitting at 11 registrants in STU for the upcoming tour event. If I get a co-driver, we'll be at 12!

Old May 8, 2022, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by LV///R
That's good news! Thanks for sharing your feedback with the group! What have you ran on in regards to tires previously to the 285 'Kangs?
I've run 265 Yok's, 265 RE-71 and 255 RT660's. So the 285 Nankangs are the widest, but honestly I'm liking them more each event. Had another one today and ended top 3 in pax.
Old May 9, 2022, 05:58 AM
EvoM Guru

I've run 265 Yok's, 265 RE-71 and 255 RT660's. So the 285 Nankangs are the widest, but honestly I'm liking them more each event. Had another one today and ended top 3 in pax.
Good to know. Your thoughts on the 265 Yoks vs the 285 'kangs? Do you truly feel the kangs are faster than the lighter/narrower 265 yokes?

On a positive note, I finally drove the evo to work today. The clutch has been replaced with a new ACT clutch/resurfaced OEM flytwheel and everything put back together. I was feeling quite good about that, then when I tried taking it for a drive to ensure everything felt fine but I noticed the car was losing voltage. I'd let the car run for 5-10 minutes and then it would start sputtering, losing dash lights and ultimately shutting down. If I would try to turn the key, she wouldn't even turn over. Dead battery. Charged battery, tried again, same thing. Put in a larger battery, non lithium, and the car would run for much longer, which is to be expected, however it was only running at like 11 volts. Something was off. I gave up looking for Mother's day weekend. Frustrated - especially since I've now missed 3 events in Lincoln and was possibly going to miss the upcoming local event this next weekend.

Came home this past Sunday night and wanted to check all grounds. Seemed OK. Looked at the alternator and felt around back there. Sure enough, there was a loose blue connector off the alternator. Plugged it in, checked the voltage, and now we're sitting pretty! I absolutely cannot WAIT to compete in this car again. Looking forward to it!

Old May 9, 2022, 07:58 AM

Good to know. Your thoughts on the 265 Yoks vs the 285 'kangs? Do you truly feel the kangs are faster than the lighter/narrower 265 yokes?
The 285 kang does have higher max grip but takes a run or two to get there. The Yok's definitely come up to grip faster. As for the weight difference, I'm not sure I can quantify that, but for my driving style I'll take higher max grip every time.
Old May 9, 2022, 08:51 AM
EvoM Guru

So far the CR1s on my buddies RX7 has been a struggle with our events being so cold and wet. Even after 6 runs he hasn't been able to get them to do anything. We expect they'll be good once its warmer out but for now they're going on the nope list for PNW if you want to win early or late season along with the RT660s.

In these conditions A052 or PS4S if wet are king.
Old May 11, 2022, 05:31 AM
EvoM Guru

The 285 kang does have higher max grip but takes a run or two to get there. The Yok's definitely come up to grip faster. As for the weight difference, I'm not sure I can quantify that, but for my driving style I'll take higher max grip every time.

Gotcha! So, I probably should have a co-driver at cooler events. Noted.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
So far the CR1s on my buddies RX7 has been a struggle with our events being so cold and wet. Even after 6 runs he hasn't been able to get them to do anything. We expect they'll be good once its warmer out but for now they're going on the nope list for PNW if you want to win early or late season along with the RT660s.

In these conditions A052 or PS4S if wet are king.
Makes sense. It'll be interesting to hear feedback from him as you guys get into the warmer months! I know there are others that have done well in champ tour events on the CR1, but it's rare since most flock to the A052 still.

I think having a set of 255 or 265 A052 for this cooler type of weather is going to be a must. I really hate to shell out money for a 3rd set of tires (actually 4th since I already have a dedicated wet - ECS's). The problem is if one waits 'til closer to Nationals, you will most likely end up getting screwed with the tire availability situation.

Old May 16, 2022, 06:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Welp, got my first events in this weekend at a local event on very much abrasive asphault. I also let another competitor co-drive the evo since his STI has been having issues for over a year that they can't finalize.

I started in the 1st heat just to ensure nothing would fall apart! Thankfully the evo performed very well. No issues, I set the coilovers to the starting points that Mr. Lugod stated and it felt pretty darn good, EVEN on our bumpy *** lot. I was running the 1100lb rear springs and was concerned about the possible consequences of those on this specific lot. I was going to go with a lower spring rate in the rear because of this, but couldn't source any in time. Ended up FTD'ing both days out of 79 and 65 drivers on Sat/Sun respectively. My codriver took 2nd overall on day 1 as well.

I must say, the car feels great. I'm a little concerned with how much of a beating the CR1's took on this lot. They literally look like they're 70% worn down already after like 20 runs. But again, this lot is known for destroying tires. Thankfully, it'll be resurfaced this summer, so I'm hoping it isn't as abrasive in the near future. Next events locally take place after Nationals.

Results are on this page....they use attachments for the results and I have no clue how to link it to a forum, lol:

Facebook Post

Spring Nationals cannot come soon enough!

Last edited by LV///R; May 16, 2022 at 06:10 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by LV///R:
Butt Dyno (May 17, 2022), Construct (May 16, 2022), ViciousLSD (May 16, 2022)
Old May 16, 2022, 07:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Nice job! Looking forward to seeing how you do at Spring Nats.

Wear sounds about right. Did you rotate tires or is that just the fronts? 80-100 runs is much all I can get out of street tires and even less out of Hoosiers.
LV///R (May 16, 2022)
Old May 16, 2022, 08:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 449 Likes on 383 Posts
Great job as usual Brent. We got plenty of C6 vettes locally and I haven't figured out how to beat them all in the same day lol
LV///R (May 16, 2022)
Old May 16, 2022, 08:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Thank you, gentlemen!

Unfortunately, I can't rotate the front to rear since I am running a 18x11 F and 18x10 R. Both F/R tires took a beating. Obviously the rear diff is working those rear tires harder, than previously, which is a good thing. I was definitely overdriving the car and that didn't help with the wear situation. For reference, when I ran Hoosiers on this lot in the ASP days, I'd be LUCKY to get 40 runs on them here prior to cording. That was running proper camber/wheel sizes/etc too. That being said, no one in their right mind runs Hoosier's here anymore. It's simply not worth it. The asphalt has a ton of aggregate in it - it's absolutely rough if you touch it with your hands. Cheese grader like, lol.

Yeah, while NASA rules are easy, we complicate things in our region since a there's a handful of guys that compete on a national level, that just bump up to NXR - myself included (highest class for NASA rules). It's fun to have a bit stiffer competition there, as my evo classes in NXS (two classes lower than NXR). We've been lucky enough in the past to be graced with the appearance of Jeremy Swenson's old ZR1 vette when he had it, along with Shawn's Evo (Gridlife). This weekend we were graced with a National Champ and a handful of trophy winners at Nationals.

For reference, almost everyone in NXR was running on A052's. I was the lone individual on CR1/CRS tires. Temp was 70-77 all weekend. Sunny, with a little wind. I didn't spray them at all, just monitored the pressures.

To expand on the Nankangs, they absolutely feel much like the A052 to me. I ended up running 4-5 PSI higher than I would normally run in the A052. Felt like they needed a run to get up to grip, but it's truly hard to determine if that's totally true as on my 1st run on Saturday, I ran a good run with only feeling things out (no hard launch, driving it at 9/10ths). It will be interesting to see how they feel at Lincoln.
Old May 24, 2022, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Spring Nationals is this weekend already! Looks like the weather will be in the upper 80's and partly cloudy.

I picked up a new set of RT660's and plan on testing them back to back on the TNT course on Saturday. Won't be apples to apples since these are new and the 'Kangs have lost a bit of life. Looks like out of 12 drivers, 5 will be piloting evos! Could have been 6 if I would have had a co-driver, but it didn't work out. Hoping to see some evo domination this weekend.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:12 PM

Spring Nationals is this weekend already! Looks like the weather will be in the upper 80's and partly cloudy.
.. Looks like out of 12 drivers, 5 will be piloting evos! Could have been 6 if I would have had a co-driver, but it didn't work out. Hoping to see some evo domination this weekend.

I'll be there with my 06 Evo and have a co-driver! It will be my first national event so I'm excited!

Quick Reply: 2022 STU discussion