Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2022 STU discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 09:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Well, they'll let you drop if your rep is cool but only once in a great while from what I've seen. I tell em it's for my employee or whatever. But no - still all red, no ETA's on 295's.
I scored a pair of 295's from an individual that had been holding them for awhile. If you come across any 295 or 265 A052 tires, please keep me posted!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 09:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Well, what a difference. I went back to A052s, tested vs Nankangs and I gotta say I'm glad I sold the Falkens. I'm sure there's people who are fast on the Falkens and if I had more time I may have gotten used to them. I have to say, from the 1st turn this past weekend during the TNT, I could tell INSTANTLY the A052s had more grip than those Falkens I ran at Spring Nationals. Live and learn - those tires are now sold.

I actually had top PAX after 3 runs by an *** hair. I was right back in the mix with 3 former national champs, plus Ryan P. throwing down a flyer on his last run. Looking forward to Mid Divisionals in Late July in Lincoln again.

Video of the course - my fastest run. Definitely left some time out there but played it safe on my last two runs.

Last edited by LV///R; Jun 28, 2022 at 12:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (Jun 28, 2022)
Old Jun 28, 2022, 09:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went back to A052s, tested vs Nankangs and I gotta say I'm glad I sold the Falkens.
How do the Kangs compare to the Yoks?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 09:48 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Pretty good looking run. Surprised you're having to catch the rear as much as you are, especially on throttle exit. I would probably dial in some rear toe-in so you can be more aggressive on exit.

At 0:44 it stood out to me that there are two lines to take here, one for low power and one for high power. I tested a similar thing with SoloStorm and with that long straight after, backsiding that cone aggressively to move the point of throttle earlier pays off huge. I would expect a good 0.5sec alone right there.

Could also be more aggressive on the cones in places
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 449 Likes on 383 Posts
I think the A052's are for *really good drivers* I gave up on my A052's over the weekend and raced on my high-miler RT660s on day2 of our Divisional event (and won, from 0.5s behind). I can beat on RT660/RE71Rs and they just keep working
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by tolas
How do the Kangs compare to the Yoks?
On Saturday's TNT - I started on the Yokes for 3 runs, then went back to the 'kangs for 3 right after. Naturally, the kangs would have the advantage in this type of comparison as I'm getting more familiar with the course. I ended up 1 tenth of a second faster on the kangs after those 6 combined runs. I ran the kangs back to back to back without any sort of cool down time in between runs. They need heat, there's no doubt. I found that to be true on Sunday (I'll get more into that). On cool days - I think co-driving and or blankets is probably a must to be honest.

After 6 runs (3 A052/3 CRS) I stayed on the 285 kangs and knocked down even more time, but since they closed 1 of the 2 practice courses down a little earlier than I expected, I couldn't go back out on the A052's to see if I could match the 'kangs time. After about 6 runs total on the kangs, I was 8 tenths of a second faster than the A052s. Take that with a grain of salt since it wasn't totally apples to apples (Kangs were well worn - almost down to very small little chunks coming off the kangs outter edges. Inner half had a lot of tread left. A052s - fresh fronts - 90% rears. I was honestly surprised but I didn't want to put a ton of runs on the A052s since they will probably be what I go with for Nationals and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find new....

I will say, if I was in the car and had a friend put on either the kangs or yokes without telling me, it would be HARD to guess which was which. They feel that similar to me. Yokes don't need heat. Kangs do need a run prior to having sufficient grip - in my opinion so far.

On Sunday I started with the Kangs, ran them for the first two runs - then went to the yokes for the last 3. I felt like my fronts were down on grip on the first two runs. Took them off and the inners are definitely wore down from the abuse they took weeks ago at the first local event I had. Unsure if it was in my head or not, but they felt off compared to the day prior. Threw the A052s on for the last 3 runs. On the 3rd run I took top PAX at that point, so that's saying something? No adjustment needed in driving style, that's for sure.

Take that all with a grain of salt - again - new vs very much used. Still getting adjusted to this car - trying to trust the car after having literarly NO confidence in it at spring nationals. You can watch day 1 and day 2 videos from Spring nats here. I looked "off" to say the least.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Pretty good looking run. Surprised you're having to catch the rear as much as you are, especially on throttle exit. I would probably dial in some rear toe-in so you can be more aggressive on exit.

At 0:44 it stood out to me that there are two lines to take here, one for low power and one for high power. I tested a similar thing with SoloStorm and with that long straight after, backsiding that cone aggressively to move the point of throttle earlier pays off huge. I would expect a good 0.5sec alone right there.

Could also be more aggressive on the cones in places
Thank you sir! Yeah, that 5th run, especially in the first two turns I was having way more rotation than any of my first 3 runs. Noted about the rear toe! I may dial more in, as well as make some other minor tweaks.

I would agree with your statement there. I feel like I definitely was off specifically in that area (and compared to my 4 previous runs) and felt like I was quite lazy on throttle. May have been in the back of my head that I was a little cautious due to how loose the rear was towards the beginning of the run.

Yeah, I was definitely off on multiple cones in a handful of spots. Still trying to fully get comfy with this setup again as I've been trying different tires, settings on the coilovers, etc. More seat time will help, absolutely. I struggled with getting my eyes up and focused on placement - no doubt!

Thanks and I appreciate your insight - as usual.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I think the A052's are for *really good drivers* I gave up on my A052's over the weekend and raced on my high-miler RT660s on day2 of our Divisional event (and won, from 0.5s behind). I can beat on RT660/RE71Rs and they just keep working

I truly think it comes down to driver preference. Honestly, I would KIND OF like to have tried the Falkens again after the alignment changes I made after the fact. My car is direct enough that I feel like any more is going to hurt me. The car felt so darty to me with the 660s and some people probably prefer that! Either way, nice job of laying the smack down on the Falkens.

Last edited by LV///R; Jun 28, 2022 at 12:04 PM.
ViciousLSD (Jun 28, 2022)
Old Jun 28, 2022, 05:09 PM
EvoM Guru

For my midwest people, Mid Divisionals registration is open:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ebraska-629821
Old Jul 5, 2022, 06:24 PM
EvoM Guru

If anyone is going for the tried and true 18x10 setup - I have a NEW set of (4) CE28 Club Racer II wheels for sale. Only opened 1 box to look at the wheel. Never mounted, no stickers applied, etc. Hit me up if anyone is wanting a set!

EDIT: I'm also considering selling a set of my 18x11/18x10 setup too (wedsports tc105x)

Last edited by LV///R; Jul 6, 2022 at 05:41 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 05:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Finally an action shot....I don't get too many of these!

RobbieOh (Jul 6, 2022)
Old Jul 6, 2022, 05:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Also....the 2022 SCCA SOLO Nationals registration opens for us peasants at 3pm Central Time TODAY!
Old Jul 6, 2022, 06:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
@Jhaze71 posted this in the 2021 thread, picking up the conversation here:

Originally Posted by Jhaze71
I've gotten some feedback. Figured I would take it here (suggested) to get more viewpoints. Is everyone going out and upgrading their intercoolers or is that a low yield upgrade? Seems our runs are so short that heat soak and timing being pulled would not be an issue. Thoughts?
Like ​​​​​@Butt Dyno said in the other thread, I assume there's virtually no benefit to an intercooler upgrade in an autocross setting. It would be interesting to see some instrumented IC outlet temperature measurements, though. On hot days I soak the intercooler with my tire sprayer right before I go out.

Old Jul 6, 2022, 06:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
If anyone is going for the tried and true 18x10 setup - I have a NEW set of (4) CE28 Club Racer II wheels for sale. Only opened 1 box to look at the wheel. Never mounted, no stickers applied, etc. Hit me up if anyone is wanting a set!

EDIT: I'm also considering selling a set of my 18x11/18x10 setup too (wedsports tc105x)
What's the offset on the CE28s?

<chanting to self>you have perfectly good 18x10s you have perfectly good 18x10s you have perfectly good 18x10s you have perfectly good 18x10s you have perfectly good 18x10s you have... </chanting to self>
Old Jul 6, 2022, 07:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
What's the offset on the CE28s?

<chanting to self>you have perfectly good 18x10s you have perfectly good 18x10s you have perfectly good 18x10s you have perfectly good 18x10s you have perfectly good 18x10s you have... </chanting to self>

Here's a link to them posted on FB.
Facebook Post

If that doesn't work, I'll copy/paste the info just in case:
For Sale: Brand new - never used/mounted Volk Racing CE28 Club Racer II wheels. Only took 1 wheel out of the box to look at. Changed the mind and wanting to go another route. 18x10 + 40 5x114.3 Diamond Dark Gunmetal Including all decals/valvestems (none have been installed) Looking at $3200 picked up. No wait time here! Buyer to pay shipping/paypal. Would consider trading/plus cash on either end if needed, for the following wheels: (4) TE37SL 18x9.5 +22 (2 or 4) TE37SL 18x10 +40 (2 or 4) TE37SL 18x11 +15/18 (4) SE37K 18x9.5 +12 Located in Sioux Falls, SD but I do get to Lincoln, NE as well as Minneapolis, MN from time to time and could deliver to save on shipping. Thanks!

The plan was to use a 5mm spacer in the rear. Probably need a spacer up front as well.

Old Jul 6, 2022, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 145 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
Like ​​​​​Butt said in the other thread, I assume there's virtually no benefit to an intercooler upgrade in an autocross setting. It would be interesting to see some instrumented IC outlet temperature measurements, though. On hot days I soak the intercooler with my tire sprayer right before I go out.
Same, I use the water sprayer between runs on the IC.

Quick Reply: 2022 STU discussion