Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2024 SCCA SOLO - STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2024, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts
So something, I'm unclear on for the Evo X, as this year I'm working/planning suspension (currently stock). What I'm unsure about is bushing materials. With the rules stating no increase in metal, I honestly have no idea what our bushing rubber/metal ratios are. I'm researching rear camber arms to add after installing coilovers. Are there any threads regarding materials out there? The SPLs caught my eye at first, look lighter than WL but just guessing..
Old Jan 4, 2024, 09:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts
So the bushing allowances have changed (a year or so ago):

14.8 B. Suspension bushings may be replaced with bushings of any materials as long as they fit in the original location. Offset bushings may be used. This does not authorize a change in type of bushing (e.g., ball and socket replacing a cylindrical bushing) or use of a bushing with an angled hole whose direction differs from that of the original bushing. If the standard bushing accommodated multi-axis motion via compliance of the component material(s), the replacement bushing may not be changed to accommodate such motion via a change in bushing type, for example to a spherical bearing or similar component involving internal moving parts. Pins or keys may be used to prevent the rotation of alternate bushings but may serve no other purpose than that of retaining the bushing in the desired position.

So from what I gather, you can change your bushings to any material type, but the bushing type itself needs to stay the same. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong here!
The following users liked this post:
RobbieOh (Jan 4, 2024)
Old Jan 4, 2024, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts
Interesting. Okay, I do remember reading that last year, I think my eyes glossed over tho. So as long as the movement of the bushing remains the same, it should be good to go.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
and here's what we're up to this winter
just some 'minor' fixing, two blown ring landing

I've been posting updates on instagram, @robbeetheevo
The following users liked this post:
Construct (Jan 11, 2024)
Old Jan 11, 2024, 08:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 144 Likes on 120 Posts
Wow, one of your injectors was only flowing 86% before cleaning.

I suppose I should get mine serviced.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 08:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 412 Likes on 352 Posts
ah those we're the simpler days. Mine :

Old Jan 11, 2024, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
ah those we're the simpler days. Mine :
yup, we're twinsies. What caused yours?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 09:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 4wd4me
yup, we're twinsies. What caused yours?
I just moved to SM and running e85 for about a year. It was smoking slightly before I drove it to my first Lincoln event and it got way worse there. drove it back home fine and sent it to the shop 2mos later. so i have no idea
Old Jan 23, 2024, 05:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts
Planning out my calendar for 2024. I'd like to do at least one tour in the Midwestish area since it seems like those were reasonably well populated in STU last year.

Spring nats would probably be the best one competition wise but I don't think I have an 18 hr drive in me for not-Nats.

Peru had 9 drivers as well as last year's national champion - 10 hr drive
https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_fi...pdf?1687113406

Bristol had 9 drivers as well - 6 hr drive
https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_fi...pdf?1692117944

Chicago - 12 drivers - Brent won by 1.8 seconds - 11 hr drive
https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_fi...pdf?1689532832

Finger lakes - closeish, but had only 5 cars and lost to STR by 10 seconds (weather maybe?) - 6 hr drive
https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_fi...pdf?1690747182

I'm thinking Peru or Chicago for depth of competition - how are the lots? how are the events, vibes etc?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Planning out my calendar for 2024. I'd like to do at least one tour in the Midwestish area since it seems like those were reasonably well populated in STU last year.

Spring nats would probably be the best one competition wise but I don't think I have an 18 hr drive in me for not-Nats.

Peru had 9 drivers as well as last year's national champion - 10 hr drive
https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_fi...pdf?1687113406

Bristol had 9 drivers as well - 6 hr drive
https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_fi...pdf?1692117944

Chicago - 12 drivers - Brent won by 1.8 seconds - 11 hr drive
https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_fi...pdf?1689532832

Finger lakes - closeish, but had only 5 cars and lost to STR by 10 seconds (weather maybe?) - 6 hr drive
https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_fi...pdf?1690747182

I'm thinking Peru or Chicago for depth of competition - how are the lots? how are the events, vibes etc?
I will be at the Chicago tour again. You should join us! I know Ernest in his blue evo 9 was there last year. It's about a 10 hour drive for me. Pretty decent lot in my opinion - asphault. I have a couple videos up from the '23 tour event this past year if you'd like to get a better view! Event was ran well - just like any other tour. Parking was kind of a pain for trailered cars as there wasn't a TON of room this past year. Unsure how normal that is.

I'm going to skip Peru this year. I went in '23. They are very limited in what they can do with their lot designs, but it is on concrete! There's a bit of a drive from hotels to get to the site as it's a Airforce base with small towns about 30 minutes away in every direction. There's videos on my youtube there as well.

chicago Day 1

chicago Day 2
Old Feb 5, 2024, 03:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Sweet. I have Chicago penciled in.

I also applied for KOTM with basically zero expectation that I'll get in, but I had to try.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
So noticed my fronts were like this. I'm running -4.5 up front with driving to autocross events and some driving around town, not a lot. I know my inside tire temps are higher when finishing an Autocross run but chalked that up to braking at the finish causing the higher inner tire temps. Makes me wonder if I'm actually running too much camber at the fronts. I've done -4 on 2 or 3 sets and never had wear like this. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails 2024 SCCA SOLO - STU Discussion-img_7986.jpg  
Old Feb 10, 2024, 03:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
So noticed my fronts were like this. I'm running -4.5 up front with driving to autocross events and some driving around town, not a lot. I know my inside tire temps are higher when finishing an Autocross run but chalked that up to braking at the finish causing the higher inner tire temps. Makes me wonder if I'm actually running too much camber at the fronts. I've done -4 on 2 or 3 sets and never had wear like this. Thoughts?
How is your toe?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 03:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,558 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Make sure toe is zero.

Camber is 100% about tire wear and temps.

When we setup a spring race car, best grip usually means the inner edge cords in about an hour of track time. Endurance cars we setup for more even wear, but ultimate grip is given up.

So, did the front of the car work better for you? And if so was it worth the shorter tire life?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 04:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Are those Ecsta V730s? if so thats probably completely done

Quick Reply: 2024 SCCA SOLO - STU Discussion