Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2024 SCCA SOLO - STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2024, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
So noticed my fronts were like this. I'm running -4.5 up front with driving to autocross events and some driving around town, not a lot. I know my inside tire temps are higher when finishing an Autocross run but chalked that up to braking at the finish causing the higher inner tire temps. Makes me wonder if I'm actually running too much camber at the fronts. I've done -4 on 2 or 3 sets and never had wear like this. Thoughts?
Depends on your goals. If you want maximum tire mileage, you have too much camber. If you want to go fast on a strut suspension you have to tolerate eating up the inside of the tire.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
So noticed my fronts were like this. I'm running -4.5 up front with driving to autocross events and some driving around town, not a lot. I know my inside tire temps are higher when finishing an Autocross run but chalked that up to braking at the finish causing the higher inner tire temps. Makes me wonder if I'm actually running too much camber at the fronts. I've done -4 on 2 or 3 sets and never had wear like this. Thoughts?
I did light daily driving and drove to and from events with camber in the -3.5 to -4.0 range for a while. As long as my toe was perfectly set to zero, the inner shoulder didn't wear out before the rest of the tires were dead. I also made sure to air the tires back up before leaving events, otherwise the pressures would be too low once they cooled and weird wear patterns would result.

The moment my toe was anything other than perfectly zero, the inner shoulder started disappearing rapidly.

Old Feb 13, 2024, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by LetsGetThisDone
Make sure toe is zero.

Camber is 100% about tire wear and temps.

When we setup a spring race car, best grip usually means the inner edge cords in about an hour of track time. Endurance cars we setup for more even wear, but ultimate grip is given up.

So, did the front of the car work better for you? And if so was it worth the shorter tire life?
It's hard to tell if it was working better or not going for -4 to -4.5. I did have a couple top pax's but those happened when the ridiculously fast people didn't show lol. I will have to check my toe but when I had it set it was set at 0 like 3 or 4 months ago at an alignment shop.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 08:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts

What wheel/tire setup are you running?

Edit: I would also recheck the toe.

Are you super hard on braking/getting into ABS? Are your courses tighter than normal? Change in driving habits? Car pushier than normal? Just throwing out random ideas that could all contribute to this.

Last edited by LV///R; Feb 14, 2024 at 08:59 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 145 Likes on 130 Posts
Finally have some in car video. Would yall care to give me some feedback?

Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RobbieOh
Finally have some in car video. Would yall care to give me some feedback?
Care to tell us more about your setup? Spring rates/coilovers/wheels/tires?

These are just ideas/suggestions - only here to help:

To me - the car looks a little soft via the video but that could be deceiving. Curious to hear what rates you're running in the X!?

I'm not hearing a whole heck of a lot of tire sound. Some lot surfaces are different than others. I'm only questioning this as it's a good way to usually gauge whether you are at the limit or not. To me, it seems like you aren't quite at that limit. Other than that, looks super smooth in terms of inputs.

Slow in - fast out. It seems like you're a little late on powering out of most turns, but that's a tighter course so it could be deceiving. Looks like you have a DCT, so I know timing the go pedal is a little more tricky (at least that's what I recall when I autox'd one). There's a definite "lag" and that alone took time to get used to.

Everyone has their preferences when it comes to hand position. I notice you're shifting your hands a lot even on very small input type turns. Have you tried just leaving your hands be? I definitely shuffle my hands on really tight radius type turns. Just being nit picky. One of the best improvements I made to my driving position, was to space out the steering wheel to get it closer to my body and get my elbows in a 90 degree bend while stationary. I LOATHE the VIII, IX, X positioning of the wheel in its factory form (I have bad shoulders) and this mod really helps with that, which might help you keep your hands more in the proper position - as your arms look outstretched from the get go.

Also adding a 4 point harness will help you keep yourself planted in that seat, but might also help you out with your steering situation. It definitely helped me take my mind off of moving around/supporting myself with my left leg and not death gripping the wheel. Random thought.

How frequently are you knocking over cones? Hard to truly tell how close you are getting to some key cones with this camera view!

Still a good run from what I can tell - just minor things to focus on to help you go even quicker!

Last edited by LV///R; Feb 19, 2024 at 11:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RobbieOh (Feb 19, 2024)
Old Feb 19, 2024, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LV///R
Care to tell us more about your setup? Spring rates/coilovers/wheels/tires?

Suspension is completely stock MR shocks/springs. Tires stock 245/40s 71rs. Will be selling a flip car soon, so will have about $3500 for suspension (leaning to Works spec Ohlins maybe f10k/r12k setup)

These are just ideas/suggestions - only here to help:

To me - the car looks a little soft via the video but that could be deceiving. Curious to hear what rates you're running in the X!?

Spot on.. stock dampers/springs, bars, etc.

I'm not hearing a whole heck of a lot of tire sound. Some lot surfaces are different than others. I'm only questioning this as it's a good way to usually gauge whether you are at the limit or not. To me, it seems like you aren't quite at that limit. Other than that, looks super smooth in terms of inputs.

I believe that is a site thing, as this is asphalt lot. Doesn't seem to produce a lot of tire noise.

Slow in - fast out. It seems like you're a little late on powering out of most turns, but that's a tighter course so it could be deceiving. Looks like you have a DCT, so I know timing the go pedal is a little more tricky (at least that's what I recall when I autox'd one). There's a definite "lag" and that alone took time to get used to.

Yes, DCT. That is a good observation, I will try to pay more attention to that at the next lot. Also, it was a cold day and I was slightly over-boosting so I did have to ease into the throttle in a few spots, so that could also be what you are seeing.

Everyone has their preferences when it comes to hand position. I notice you're shifting your hands a lot even on very small input type turns. Have you tried just leaving your hands be? I definitely shuffle my hands on really tight radius type turns. Just being nit picky. One of the best improvements I made to my driving position, was to space out the steering wheel to get it closer to my body and get my elbows in a 90 degree bend while stationary. I LOATHE the VIII, IX, X positioning of the wheel in its factory form (I have bad shoulders) and this mod really helps with that, which might help you keep your hands more in the proper position - as your arms look outstretched from the get go.

I think it might be a habit from autoxing my civic, it had a much bigger steering ratio. Now that I have this video I'm definitely going to work on less hand movement at the next event. I will try also sitting a little closer. I'm in the process of going aftermarket wheel, to play with this. Have a W/B boss already with a wheel coming soon.

Also adding a 4 point harness will help you keep yourself planted in that seat, but might also help you out with your steering situation. It definitely helped me take my mind off of moving around/supporting myself with my left leg and not death gripping the wheel. Random thought.

I have toyed with this idea, the pants I was wearing today were Adidas track pants and they were very slippery on the leather lmao, I wasn't expecting it.. Will not be wearing them again.

How frequently are you knocking over cones? Hard to truly tell how close you are getting to some key cones with this camera view!

Average 1-2 cones on the first run sometimes the second as well. Typically my 5th run is the best at least as I continue to learn the Evo. Only my second season with it.

Still a good run from what I can tell - just minor things to focus on to help you go even quicker!
Thanks man!! Appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback

Last edited by RobbieOh; Feb 19, 2024 at 06:01 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Looks like you have a DCT, so I know timing the go pedal is a little more tricky (at least that's what I recall when I autox'd one). There's a definite "lag" and that alone took time to get used to.
I have read about what you wrote above and I am wondering if you could add a bit more to this. What kind of lag you are talking about here? I have been running mine for a while and interested to hear a bit more on this!

Thanks!
Fedja
Old Feb 20, 2024, 05:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Thanks man!! Appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback
You're absolutely welcome!

What are your goals with the car? Is it a daily driver as well?

Originally Posted by MrAWD
I have read about what you wrote above and I am wondering if you could add a bit more to this. What kind of lag you are talking about here? I have been running mine for a while and interested to hear a bit more on this!

Thanks!
Fedja
You have to take what I said with a grain of salt because I have have very LITTLE experience with the X MR. This car was not stock and had minor bolt ons/suspension mods. It was a hot day and the owner was allowing others to give fun runs. I know in the past, there were 2 X MR's that would autox with us locally and have issues with the trans getting hot just autocrossing. This was back when they first started coming out....

When you hit the gas, you just feel this delay before anything happens. Almost feels like turbo lag, but you can tell it's the transmission. I believe this transmission was getting hot, unless that is the way it normally feels. But it just felt like a massive delay in power delivery. So much that I opted to take it for another run right after the 1st run to verify my feelings. I got on the gas even earlier and it still just was delayed - felt like the trans was slipping. Probably because it was. That's all I know.

Do you ever experience that? To what level is your car prepped? Any trans mods (assuming you have an X MR?) Have you autox'd a X (manual) vs X MR back to back? I feel like this would be very apparent, but maybe the situation I was in, wasn't normal.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

You have to take what I said with a grain of salt because I have have very LITTLE experience with the X MR. This car was not stock and had minor bolt ons/suspension mods. It was a hot day and the owner was allowing others to give fun runs. I know in the past, there were 2 X MR's that would autox with us locally and have issues with the trans getting hot just autocrossing. This was back when they first started coming out....

When you hit the gas, you just feel this delay before anything happens. Almost feels like turbo lag, but you can tell it's the transmission. I believe this transmission was getting hot, unless that is the way it normally feels. But it just felt like a massive delay in power delivery. So much that I opted to take it for another run right after the 1st run to verify my feelings. I got on the gas even earlier and it still just was delayed - felt like the trans was slipping. Probably because it was. That's all I know.

Do you ever experience that? To what level is your car prepped? Any trans mods (assuming you have an X MR?) Have you autox'd a X (manual) vs X MR back to back? I feel like this would be very apparent, but maybe the situation I was in, wasn't normal.
I have not experienced what you were describing above. There are definitely some strange things in how SST is operating for sure, but that delay I have not seen. Early on, I was having power cuts when running it in auto mode and since then I am doing manual shifting unfortunately. Saying unfortunately because auto shifting is working amazing when it doesn't do those cuts. It is course dependent and for those without cuts, it would upshift three to four times without me even knowing about it. Only watching the video afterwards you would see that car was in 3rd gear a lot!

As of power cuts, if there is a bit longer, faster sweeper and you power through it in 2nd gear, turbo starts building the load and it gets into the position where upshifting to 3rd would be too dangerous for the trainy and it just does power cut at that point. Staying in manual mode avoids this issue and it works as regular manual car. Perhaps, this could be tuned out in STU, since modifications to those maps are legal (I was in BS/DS at that time).

Overheating is another known issue and it is not happy with multiple drivers for sure. I am mainly only one driving my car for that reason and I still spend good amount of time spraying trainy radiator for that very reason. But, still for me it either works or it pops the check engine/trainy light and you can't do much with the car at that point aside from slowly moving around.

Yet, trainy being slow is not something I have seen. There is definitely difference between the trainy modes that are selected. Using Normal mode would have that sluggishness, but going to Super Sport eliminates that part. Even Sport mode is pretty responsive compared to the Normal one. Could it be that you might not have been in that fast (also much higher pressure plate clumping force) mode?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Goals for the car are to push it to the STU limit as best I can while retaining some semblance of street use (e.g., going date night with the wife and not absolutely dying driving 2hours to events lol). Also, I prefer not to do any permanent mods besides fender rolls. Also, It is not a daily driver at all, i have an ol' rust bucket 1st gen CRV for that.

So, next up on the list is coil-overs, steering wheel and play with w/b spacers like you mentioned, then wheels tires; thinking 10.5 +15 with the biggest tire I can comfortably fit.

As far as trans response, it kinda sounds like that DCT was overheating and was slipping bc of it. I don't experience anything like that, but I would like to do a back to back, maybe CaptainSquirts will let me drive his IX lmaoo. Also, I don't notice any delay when comparing to my buddies prepped integra as I've driven that a few times. I have upped the pump pressure by 15% and have tuned the tables based off Hamish's work/tuning guide. I've only got the overheat warning once, it was the very first time driving it and I had no idea what I was doing...
LV///R (Feb 20, 2024)
Old Feb 20, 2024, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

@MrAWD Have you done any of the EvoScan mods? (Upped pressure or auto-shift points)
Old Feb 20, 2024, 09:45 AM
EvoM Guru

I have not experienced what you were describing above. There are definitely some strange things in how SST is operating for sure, but that delay I have not seen. Early on, I was having power cuts when running it in auto mode and since then I am doing manual shifting unfortunately. Saying unfortunately because auto shifting is working amazing when it doesn't do those cuts. It is course dependent and for those without cuts, it would upshift three to four times without me even knowing about it. Only watching the video afterwards you would see that car was in 3rd gear a lot!

As of power cuts, if there is a bit longer, faster sweeper and you power through it in 2nd gear, turbo starts building the load and it gets into the position where upshifting to 3rd would be too dangerous for the trainy and it just does power cut at that point. Staying in manual mode avoids this issue and it works as regular manual car. Perhaps, this could be tuned out in STU, since modifications to those maps are legal (I was in BS/DS at that time).

Overheating is another known issue and it is not happy with multiple drivers for sure. I am mainly only one driving my car for that reason and I still spend good amount of time spraying trainy radiator for that very reason. But, still for me it either works or it pops the check engine/trainy light and you can't do much with the car at that point aside from slowly moving around.

Yet, trainy being slow is not something I have seen. There is definitely difference between the trainy modes that are selected. Using Normal mode would have that sluggishness, but going to Super Sport eliminates that part. Even Sport mode is pretty responsive compared to the Normal one. Could it be that you might not have been in that fast (also much higher pressure plate clumping force) mode?
I'm quite certain they put it in SS. Is there a mode that allows you to launch, or do they all allow that? I know I was able to launch if I wanted do - but ultimately didn't.
MrAWD (Feb 20, 2024)
Old Feb 20, 2024, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

@MrAWD Have you done any of the EvoScan mods? (Upped pressure or auto-shift points)
Not really! Since I was not allowed to modify anything in Street, all that happened there so far was to get last two versions of the code
Old Feb 20, 2024, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Goals for the car are to push it to the STU limit as best I can while retaining some semblance of street use (e.g., going date night with the wife and not absolutely dying driving 2hours to events lol). Also, I prefer not to do any permanent mods besides fender rolls. Also, It is not a daily driver at all, i have an ol' rust bucket 1st gen CRV for that.

So, next up on the list is coil-overs, steering wheel and play with w/b spacers like you mentioned, then wheels tires; thinking 10.5 +15 with the biggest tire I can comfortably fit.

As far as trans response, it kinda sounds like that DCT was overheating and was slipping bc of it. I don't experience anything like that, but I would like to do a back to back, maybe CaptainSquirts will let me drive his IX lmaoo. Also, I don't notice any delay when comparing to my buddies prepped integra as I've driven that a few times. I have upped the pump pressure by 15% and have tuned the tables based off Hamish's work/tuning guide. I've only got the overheat warning once, it was the very first time driving it and I had no idea what I was doing...
So I feel like 10k/12k is still going to be soft for that chassis. Everyone's tolerance level is different but for example I was running a 14k/22k+ (I'd have to check) setup the past year or two. I drove these all way too and back to Lincoln for a couple years without being in pain. I felt like the Shaftworks and previous JRZ's rode just fine on the street at these rates. Just food for thought. I now trailer my car, just to save on wear and tear mainly. It's nice to have cruise control too, ha!

Have people fit 11's without pulling the rears on the X? (STU Legal)? Man if you could do a 11" with a 295 Yoke or 285 RE71RS, I think that'd be a massive upgrade from where you're at, with a 245mm tire.

Well I'd love to drive another X again - they just aren't prevalent around here so I haven't had the chance to do so. I still feel like it would be a more than capable chassis in STU. What kind of power could they realistically make with STU trim? (Intake/boost controller,manifold/DP/exhaust/HFC/tune)

Last edited by LV///R; Feb 20, 2024 at 01:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 2024 SCCA SOLO - STU Discussion