Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2024 SCCA SOLO - STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2024, 10:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Unfortunately not much listed in this thread for X's on wide wheels/tires: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post8560729
Old Feb 20, 2024, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts
interesting. I think I have pretty high tolerance to it, the current stock suspension feels like I'm riding on clouds lol.. So maybe I should consider higher rates.

As far as wheels, I was looking at the basic rpf1 and the widest they have is 10.5, simply for light weight and relative low expense. I'm not sure about an 11 and what it would take, I know camber goes a long way too.

Power wise, with intake/exhaust/boost controller I'm making about 375wtq/hp, I could prob squeeze a few more with a artec mani/dp combo too.. I'm also looking at ways to legally make it lighter, as I have the literal heaviest X produced.. lmao.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 01:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RobbieOh
interesting. I think I have pretty high tolerance to it, the current stock suspension feels like I'm riding on clouds lol.. So maybe I should consider higher rates.

As far as wheels, I was looking at the basic rpf1 and the widest they have is 10.5, simply for light weight and relative low expense. I'm not sure about an 11 and what it would take, I know camber goes a long way too.

Power wise, with intake/exhaust/boost controller I'm making about 375wtq/hp, I could prob squeeze a few more with a artec mani/dp combo too.. I'm also looking at ways to legally make it lighter, as I have the literal heaviest X produced.. lmao.

I updated my post - I was running a 14kg front (approximately 800lb) front spring. I know I've ran as high as a 24kg rear (1350ish lb).

Have you done some of the common lightweight mods? Lithium battery, Brake rotors, seats, titanium exhaust? What does your car weigh without you in it's current state?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 01:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 449 Likes on 383 Posts
yeah the basic formula these days is minimum FSB and 50% higher spring rate for the rears. Also if youre going for long trips bring lots of gear, even extra wheels so the ride wont be too bouncy
Old Feb 20, 2024, 05:47 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
yeah the basic formula these days is minimum FSB and 50% higher spring rate for the rears.
Wait, who made that up?!
Old Feb 20, 2024, 06:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 449 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Wait, who made that up?!
youre the formula lol
Old Feb 21, 2024, 06:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Wait, who made that up?!
We definitely appreciate your knowledge, Dallas! I cannot say this enough.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LV///R
I updated my post - I was running a 14kg front (approximately 800lb) front spring. I know I've ran as high as a 24kg rear (1350ish lb).

Have you done some of the common lightweight mods? Lithium battery, Brake rotors, seats, titanium exhaust? What does your car weigh without you in it's current state?
Ahh okay.. so maybe something more like 12k/16k to start with the valving to move up to 18k as needed.

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
yeah the basic formula these days is minimum FSB and 50% higher spring rate for the rears. Also if youre going for long trips bring lots of gear, even extra wheels so the ride wont be too bouncy
Wait, who made that up?!
Lmao.. Hail the fearless leader.

And as far as weight reduction stuff: GiroDisk disks, lithium battery are coming sooner rather than later, then eventually a seat. The exhaust I have is in the 25lb range (Invidia Q300 but I know I can go lighter maybe Fujitsubo Titanium) I haven't weighed it yet, but I think it's around 3700lbs....

Last edited by RobbieOh; Feb 21, 2024 at 08:33 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 08:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Ahh okay.. so maybe something more like 12k/16k to start with the valving to move up to 18k as needed.

And as far as weight reduction stuff: GiroDisk disks, lithium battery are coming sooner rather than later, then eventually a seat. The exhaust I have is in the 25lb range (Invidia Q300 but I know I can go lighter maybe Fujitsubo Titanium) I haven't weighed it yet, but I think it's around 3700lbs....

I would probably just start on AT LEAST a 14kg front. Especially since your car is approximately 700lbs heavier than mine....

Wow I didn't realize there was that much of a weight difference...Is that weight you're quoting, the stock weight or a guesstimate with your current mods? That's without a driver, correct?
Old Feb 21, 2024, 08:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
While titanium is lighter be aware of any sound constraints in your local lots and/or clubs as well as SCCA if you plan to do any events with them.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 09:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Terror Rising
While titanium is lighter be aware of any sound constraints in your local lots and/or clubs as well as SCCA if you plan to do any events with them.
Agreed - have a turn down or backup plan ready. I had to improvise at the Chicago tour. Since then I had a turndown built and ready just in case as I'm usually quite close to the DB limit.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

I would probably just start on AT LEAST a 14kg front. Especially since your car is approximately 700lbs heavier than mine....

Wow I didn't realize there was that much of a weight difference...Is that weight you're quoting, the stock weight or a guesstimate with your current mods? That's without a driver, correct?
That weight is based off internet talk. Edmonds states is 3576lbs, but I really just need to get it on a scale to verify exactly what it is, and have a true baseline. I do have the heavier roof bc moonroof..

Originally Posted by Terror Rising
Good point. the Fujistubo - RM titanium is only 96db at full throttle, only a few db louder than factory so should be okay! Which is similar levels to my current exhaust.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
3700lb is quite a lot! That must be with you in it!

Last time I weighted mine, it was under 3450, which was in D-Street. That was still with most everything still stock. I would hope this number would dip below 3400 in the STU trim

Since yours is MR, I would expect additional 70 pounds on top of that to start with. Not sure where would 5 speed models end up
Old Feb 21, 2024, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We definitely appreciate your knowledge, Dallas! I cannot say this enough.
Hey, we've been running that set-up since 2009.
As far as a softer FSB for the X and 9, I know of a solution a few of you here are running.

Rick
The following 2 users liked this post by SS RX7 r2:
Butt Dyno (Feb 26, 2024), LV///R (Feb 22, 2024)
Old Feb 21, 2024, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Finally have some in car video. Would yall care to give me some feedback?

https://youtu.be/fnlnxtzC0DE?si=w5gceEXFgAP497AG
1. We both got to that hander that's at the 10 second mark pretty much at the same time, sounds like we accelerated out of that right hander around the same time, but it looks like I reached the of it quicker. Maybe it was the braking?

2. The cone at the 21 second mark for when you brake and turn left into that long left hander. I braked a tab bit too late which made me not be close to that cone when turning left. It looks like you ran into the same problem as me there.

3. At the 26/27 seconds mark where we transition from that long left hander into the slaloms. It may be because I was a tiny bit further out right than you were, but during the 24-25 sec mark i braked a tiny bit while having the wheel turned left my rear end slid a tiny bit. It pretty much made my car lined up better for the slalom section. Because of that, I was able to accelerate earlier. See screenshot to see the difference on how we're pointing into the slalom section

4. The right hand turn after the slalom at the 30 second mark, I went into that turn a little faster which gave me some more distance.

Here's my run for reference
Attached Thumbnails 2024 SCCA SOLO - STU Discussion-evo-comparrison.png  

Last edited by CaptainSquirts; Feb 22, 2024 at 11:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RobbieOh (Feb 22, 2024)

Quick Reply: 2024 SCCA SOLO - STU Discussion