Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2024 SCCA SOLO - STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2024, 12:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieOh
Goals for the car are to push it to the STU limit as best I can while retaining some semblance of street use (e.g., going date night with the wife and not absolutely dying driving 2hours to events lol). Also, I prefer not to do any permanent mods besides fender rolls. Also, It is not a daily driver at all, i have an ol' rust bucket 1st gen CRV for that.

So, next up on the list is coil-overs, steering wheel and play with w/b spacers like you mentioned, then wheels tires; thinking 10.5 +15 with the biggest tire I can comfortably fit.

As far as trans response, it kinda sounds like that DCT was overheating and was slipping bc of it. I don't experience anything like that, but I would like to do a back to back, maybe CaptainSquirts will let me drive his IX lmaoo. Also, I don't notice any delay when comparing to my buddies prepped integra as I've driven that a few times. I have upped the pump pressure by 15% and have tuned the tables based off Hamish's work/tuning guide. I've only got the overheat warning once, it was the very first time driving it and I had no idea what I was doing...
Heya Robbie! have an Evo X GSR that I run in XA; or "ran" before I had Ringland failure at my first 2022 nationals on day 1.

I think I will be moving to an 18x11 so I just listed my 18x10.5 +15 RPF1s for sale. Let me know if you'd be interested.

Hoping I can get some seat time in the car this year if I ever get it back and bother Brent more for advice 😂
The following users liked this post:
RobbieOh (Feb 22, 2024)
Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
1. We both got to that hander that's at the 10 second mark pretty much at the same time, sounds like we accelerated out of that right hander around the same time, but it looks like I reached the of it quicker. Maybe it was the braking?

1. What I noticed what gave me a nice gap ahead of you was at the 26/27 seconds mark where we transition from that long left hander into the slaloms. It may be because I was a tiny bit further out right than you were, but also during the 24-25 sec mark i braked while having the wheel turned left my rear end slid a tiny bit. It pretty much made my car lined up better for the slalom section. Because of that, I was able to accelerate earlier.

2. The cone at the 21 second mark for when you brake and turn left into that long left hander. I braked a tab bit too late which made me not be close to that cone when turning left. It looks like you ran into the same problem as me there.

3. At the 26/27 seconds mark where we transition from that long left hander into the slaloms. It may be because I was a tiny bit further out right than you were, but during the 24-25 sec mark i braked a tiny bit while having the wheel turned left my rear end slid a tiny bit. It pretty much made my car lined up better for the slalom section. Because of that, I was able to accelerate earlier. See screenshot to see the difference on how we're pointing into the slalom section

4. The right hand turn after the slalom at the 30 second mark, I went into that turn a little faster which gave me some more distance.

Here's my run for reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rLBxWJDR8M

This is very helpful!! I will be analyzing all of this later with your feedback. Thank you D!
CaptainSquirts (Feb 22, 2024)
Old Feb 23, 2024, 07:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 449 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Shanko_X
Heya Robbie! have an Evo X GSR that I run in XA; or "ran" before I had Ringland failure at my first 2022 nationals on day 1.

I think I will be moving to an 18x11 so I just listed my 18x10.5 +15 RPF1s for sale. Let me know if you'd be interested.

Hoping I can get some seat time in the car this year if I ever get it back and bother Brent more for advice 😂
whats up with these cars breaking at nats. i got the ringland failure at my first nats in 2016
Old Feb 23, 2024, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Checked the toe on my front since I got the crazy inner tire wear. It has a little more than 1/8 inch of toe in. Im guessing that’s the culprit 😒
Old Feb 23, 2024, 03:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
Checked the toe on my front since I got the crazy inner tire wear. It has a little more than 1/8 inch of toe in. Im guessing that’s the culprit 😒
Excess Toe in would cause outer edge cupping. 1/8" isn't excessive though.

Toe out causes inner edge wear.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
whats up with these cars breaking at nats. i got the ringland failure at my first nats in 2016
cyl 4 ringland failed; and every exhaust valve was bent. All on my co-drivers final run on day one. Didn't even get to take mine.

2023 I drove my girlfriends E street Miata. Hopefully this year I'll bring the evo. I need it back first 😂
Old Feb 23, 2024, 03:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Shanko_X
cyl 4 ringland failed; and every exhaust valve was bent. All on my co-drivers final run on day one. Didn't even get to take mine.

2023 I drove my girlfriends E street Miata. Hopefully this year I'll bring the evo. I need it back first 😂
my 2nd gear broke in 2023 on the first launch lol. good thing i started towing. I think I might need to drop by the nearest church next time
Old Feb 23, 2024, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
On my last Nationals, during the first run of my co-driver on the day 2, shaft of the turbo snapped in two.
On the one before that, I broke a hub and axle on my first run of the day 2 as well
ViciousLSD (Feb 24, 2024)
Old Feb 24, 2024, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
my 2nd gear broke in 2023 on the first launch lol. good thing i started towing. I think I might need to drop by the nearest church next time
do you launch in second gear?
Old Feb 24, 2024, 08:15 AM

maybe 2024 will be the year for us lol
ViciousLSD (Feb 25, 2024)
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Meathooker
do you launch in second gear?
heck no
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MrAWD
I broke a hub and axle on my first run of the day 2 as well
was that the rear axle?
Old Feb 26, 2024, 08:26 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
was that the rear axle?
Specifically left rear..

2022 I broke the left rear at Packwood pro. Swapped in a spare and ran another event to make sure it was all good. Then the diff gave out at the practice course (Thanks Sam for the tow, Marshal for the diff, and Bailey for the help). Something about nats likes to finish cars off.

Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:48 AM
EvoM Guru

dang, i broke a left rear axle too (i thought it was a fluke) but that was in a local event on a very grippy concrete patch. Sometime it feels I'm back in my audi 1.8t eventhough those break CV joints
Old Feb 26, 2024, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD
On my last Nationals, during the first run of my co-driver on the day 2, shaft of the turbo snapped in two.
On the one before that, I broke a hub and axle on my first run of the day 2 as well
was that the rear axle?
No, it was the front passenger side! Took a left turn and heard a loud noise. Went to the right side, it felt OK. My hopes went up at that point and I wanted it to be nothing of importance at that moment, but that didn't last long. The very next left turn created another loud noise and run was over

Quick Reply: 2024 SCCA SOLO - STU Discussion