Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Less wasted oil in the head...

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2024, 04:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
Less wasted oil in the head...

Hey team - looking to try something new in the Evo cylinder head.
Kiggly HLA reduces the pressure at the lifter oil gallery, this also reduces the amount of oil that gets shot out on the camshaft lobes.
Rocker holes are ~0.7mm, which gets fed oil from the top of the lifter.
I tested the Kiggly HLA over the weekend. Oil pressure with the normal HLA was 52psi @ the lifter gallery. Kiggly HLA dropped that to 12psi.

My idea to further limiting oil in the cylinder head is blocking the 2x 1mm holes at the end of the lifter oil gallery.
I'm guessing this is just a bleed system, maybe to help regulate oil pressure at the lifter also (doesn't really seem to).
These bleed out A LOT of oil, they will certainly be contributing to head filling up.

Has anyone tried this on a working engine?
I cant really see a downside to doing this, apart from the lifter's maybe getting some air in them. Which will purge out eventually anyway.

Old May 12, 2024, 04:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Just a hunch, but Im guessing it could be similar to the drilled hole on a MBC to vent pressure. And then one per bank.
Old May 12, 2024, 04:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Just a hunch, but Im guessing it could be similar to the drilled hole on a MBC to vent pressure. And then one per bank.
what negatives can you see on blocking them off?
Old May 13, 2024, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts
If you vent the engine from the block, or run a dry sump with a sealed engine, you can machine off those two vent channels in the head and increase the oil return capacity from the head massively...

as for kiggley... there was some story about the lifters pumping down at high rpm and high lift cams in engines using it... this was on lancerregister but it was not discussed further...
Old May 13, 2024, 02:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
If you vent the engine from the block, or run a dry sump with a sealed engine, you can machine off those two vent channels in the head and increase the oil return capacity from the head massively...

as for kiggley... there was some story about the lifters pumping down at high rpm and high lift cams in engines using it... this was on lancerregister but it was not discussed further...
Kiggly HLA could be very easily modified with a heavier spring. I took measurements and dimensions. It's 400g per 10mm rate (0.04kg / 1mm).
I was surprised with the pressure being so low. Changing this to 20psi or 25psi would be simple.

Modifying the drains and removing the channels would help with draining, sure. A couple of 12AN breather lines from the block to the head would make up for the lost venting.

But - the point of this post was to reduce the amount of oil being dumped into the head in the first place.
Kikiturbo have you heard of anyone blocking these venting ports off?
Old May 13, 2024, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts
no I did not.. I wonder if these jets have some sdditional use.. like cam oiling ?
Old May 13, 2024, 03:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
no I did not.. I wonder if these jets have some sdditional use.. like cam oiling ?
Cam lobe oiling is from the small holes in the rocker arms. I can post a video.
The ports at the end of the lifter oil gallery is what I'm interested in blocking.
Old May 13, 2024, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
@RSMike couldn’t you drill/tap the holes, plug them and pump the oiling system prior to running the engine to verify that you are getting oil in the correct locations at reasonable amounts?

Old May 13, 2024, 10:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by black E
@RSMike couldn’t you drill/tap the holes, plug them and pump the oiling system prior to running the engine to verify that you are getting oil in the correct locations at reasonable amounts?
Yup - drill/tapping holes with the engine already assembled is a bit of a pain though.
I've spun the oil pump with those holes blocked on my dummy engine and everything looks ok.
I was thinking about designing a clamp to block those holes off, which can be installed in place and reversed easily.
The following users liked this post:
black E (May 19, 2024)
Old May 14, 2024, 07:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 591 Likes on 446 Posts
My guess is they're for flushing contaminants that make their way into the head. The space to transfer oil from the head to the lifter is pretty tight (under a thou IIRC) so giving somewhere for any particulate to escape easily keeps the lifter bores from being damaged.

If you're confident in your engine's ability to keep the oil perfectly particulate free then it could be beneficial for keeping excess oil out of the head. Would certainly make for an interesting test.
Old May 14, 2024, 09:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
The space for the lifter to get oil is the entire center of the body that isn't machined to fit the lifter bore. It's much more than .001"

I think it's as Mike thinks, which is it's probably for faster air bleeding from the lifter supply lines.
The following users liked this post:
RSMike (May 15, 2024)
Old May 14, 2024, 10:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 591 Likes on 446 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't clear with that, I meant for the lifter body to be lubricated, not filling the lifter with oil. The clearance for the lifter to the lifter bore is pretty tight. I could see it being an air bleed as well, would be curious to see if the lifters have issue pumping up without the bleed.
Old May 14, 2024, 02:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
The air would come out eventually, just might take a bit longer.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 03:13 PM
EvoM Guru

I've taken an educated punt and blocked the two lifter bleed holes off.
4mm ball bearing fits perfectly, hole punch on the aluminium to lock it in place.

The following 3 users liked this post by RSMike:
black E (Jun 5, 2024), Kevin. (Jun 5, 2024), Tarmacstage (Jun 7, 2024)
Old Jun 9, 2024, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
Thats ballsy (pun intended)
The following 2 users liked this post by Meathooker:
RSMike (Jun 10, 2024), TimC909 (Jun 11, 2024)

Quick Reply: Less wasted oil in the head...