Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Is there a how-to for defeating / removing the ignition switch column lock?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2024, 05:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Is there a how-to for defeating / removing the ignition switch column lock?

I searched here within Evom and via the Googles but didn't find anything.

My objective is to make sure that on my track-going (but still a street car) Evo9 that if my car is ever accidentally rolling with the key out (in grid, on the trailer) that I'll still be able to turn the wheel and steer the vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 07:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 774 Likes on 589 Posts
Originally Posted by EGbeater
I searched here within Evom and via the Googles but didn't find anything.

My objective is to make sure that on my track-going (but still a street car) Evo9 that if my car is ever accidentally rolling with the key out (in grid, on the trailer) that I'll still be able to turn the wheel and steer the vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
Good question that I dont know the answer to. I wouldnt mind disabling mine as well in a reversible way.
Old Jul 24, 2024, 04:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
snap the key portion of the key off inside the lock when its in the on position lol.

I dont have an answer to this either i doubt there is one without it being irreversable as it would be some kind of mechanical interlock in the key barrel. I would presume you would have to remove the entire clock spring etc.

The only other option would be to retrofit something like a wilwood steering column.

Personally i just have the key in the barrel all the time with a cable tie around it going to the shroud over the column. You could probably disassemble the metal portion of the key from the alarm bit and insert it into the barrel and when u want to remove it just pull it out with a magnet.
Old Jul 24, 2024, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bee-Raddd
I dont have an answer to this either i doubt there is one without it being irreversable as it would be some kind of mechanical interlock in the key barrel. I would presume you would have to remove the entire clock spring etc.

The only other option would be to retrofit something like a wilwood steering column.
I don't care if removing the column lock on my Evo isn't reversible, but I don't want disabling the column lock to remove the functionality/basic security of needing to insert and turn a physical key to start and drive the car.

If I tear into the key switch and figure out how to do it, I'll document the process and report back. I've done this on a previous track car (an old-school E36 BMW) and it was pretty simple... that process is well documented on bimmerforum because the column lock can fail on old BMWs *while you're driving the car* (YIKES!) with potentially disastrous results:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...eel-lock/page7