Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Kumho Ecsta V700 tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2004, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kumho Ecsta V700 tire pressure

Next weekend my Evo will be wearing these tires for the first time for autocross.

I purchased size 245/40-17 and I'm wondering what pressure I should run them. Anyone have good luck with these tires?
Old Apr 24, 2004, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure how they compare overall to the Victoracer in terms of inflation/overall compound..but as a comparison I found the best pressures for my Victo's at Kentucky Speedway to be 42 frt 35r. At other locations like Scarlet it would probably change a bit since Ky Speedway is abrasive non sealed blacktop.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like I'll have to play around a little bit. Next weekend we'll be on the airstrip at Ft. Knox, should be an interesting test bed for me!

By the way, good job the other weekend! I'm hoping to make it up there to some more events, I really enjoyed being in the company of so many Evo's and Evo owners!
Old Apr 24, 2004, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Good job to you also. That was some good driving finishing 2nd in ESP among 6 Evos with your stock Evo.
It was fun running with so many Evo's.
You missed Sunday. We were expecting to see you. I finished 1st and Greg was 2nd. I improved on my times a little running 40.8-9's
Old Apr 25, 2004, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

I was going to come back, but I was so darn tired, and I REALLY had to mow the yard. Poor excuses, I know... LOL
Old Apr 26, 2004, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an awful time with the V700s last season. The performance was decent, but I kept beating the hell out of the outside shoulder. I destroyed one after only five events and corded two more before the season was done. After tearing up the first one, I bumped my pressures up a bit and that seemed to help. I had been running around 42 psi hot IIRC on the front and raised that 2-3 pounds. Maybe even more pressure would have saved the last two, hard to say. My solution for this year was to go to a bigger front bar and Hoosier A3S04s. I have only run one event on that setup, but it seems to be much better. Time will tell I guess...

JW
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

I had an awful time with the V700s last season. The performance was decent, but I kept beating the hell out of the outside shoulder. I destroyed one after only five events and corded two more before the season was done. After tearing up the first one, I bumped my pressures up a bit and that seemed to help. I had been running around 42 psi hot IIRC on the front and raised that 2-3 pounds. Maybe even more pressure would have saved the last two, hard to say. My solution for this year was to go to a bigger front bar and Hoosier A3S04s. I have only run one event on that setup, but it seems to be much better. Time will tell I guess...
My victoracers also took a beating on the outside edge. Anything under about 42psi in the front causes bad rolling and wear. I am also considering a bigger front bar to help things. The rear tires seemed to roll perfect on the outside edges at 35psi BUT on the inside edge of the tire there is about an inch of the tire that isn't making contact. I am running 255/40's with -.8 rear camber and 0 toe.
BTW, I'm also using tanabe GF210's.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jwtodd60
My solution for this year was to go to a bigger front bar and Hoosier A3S04s. I have only run one event on that setup, but it seems to be much better.
I should also mention that I was running 48 psi hot front & rear on my Hoosiers. Maybe the V700s would have benefitted from pressures in that range too. Last year I was judging inflation mostly by sidewall rollover, this year I am trying to be a little more scientific and am using a pyrometer...

JW
Old Apr 26, 2004, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

WOW! 48psi?! I am only judging inflation by sidewall rollover right now. The rear doesn't get enough rollover unless I run 35 psi Anything over 35psi and it doesn't roll to the sidewall markers/arrows. I'm considering even less pressure in the rear to see if I can get the inside edge to make better contact..since I'm losing an inch of the contact patch A bigger rear bar may help me also. I think I'll run upwards of 45psi at the next event in the front.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

I'll start with high pressure ~ 45-48psi and work down from there.

I'm planning on getting a comp. alignment done. I'm thinking -2 camber (more if I can get it), -1.5 rear, a smidge toe out in front, and 0 toe in the rear. I'm hoping the -2 in the front will help with the "killing" of the outside edge of the tire.

I hope I can get it done before this weekend.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

I have run Victoracer V700 245/45-17's for one track event and one AutoX this season. At the track we found that 42 hot seemed to be what we needed to resist rolling over too far. I think we ran 42 in the rear as well.

At the AutoX a few weeks ago I ran 41/36 and that seemed to work well. No noticeable rolling over, at least no worse than what was already scuffed up from the track day. I think I'd be happy running those pressures again...

The insides of my tires definitely have less wear than the outsides, nothing that a flip can't correct after a while, though I guess more camber would be nice, I'm already pretty maxed at -1.6 all around. Could get more in the rear but we elected to make it even front to back.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

I'm planning on getting a comp. alignment done. I'm thinking -2 camber (more if I can get it), -1.5 rear, a smidge toe out in front, and 0 toe in the rear. I'm hoping the -2 in the front will help with the "killing" of the outside edge of the tire.
The most they could get with mine was -1.8 in the front
I run -.8 in the rear and I'm now thinking a little more neg. camber might be a good idea.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iodine23
I have run Victoracer V700 245/45-17's for one track event and one AutoX this season. At the track we found that 42 hot seemed to be what we needed to resist rolling over too far. I think we ran 42 in the rear as well.

The insides of my tires definitely have less wear than the outsides, nothing that a flip can't correct after a while, though I guess more camber would be nice, I'm already pretty maxed at -1.6 all around. Could get more in the rear but we elected to make it even front to back.
Boy I'm glad I'm not the only one having outer tread wear issues. I've got about -1.3 both front and back and the outers are wearing before the inner sides. Toe is zero both front and back. I'm running 44front/41 rear hot pressures, and the pyrometer is showing even in the middle and outside, with slightly higher temps inside.
Go figure...
I think Toyo may be my next tire...

BTW, this was at VIR, not an autocross...
Old Apr 29, 2004, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

What's the most negative camber that can be dialed in using the stock adjustment? -1.8 to -2 deg? I get wear on the outer edges on my stock street Advans. How much camber can you dial in before you start to feel tramlining?

Jason, BTW, I had a great time with you all guys at VIR. I don't think I could have wished or hoped for a better first experience at the track. I'm looking forward to meeting up with you guys at an event again sometime this year.

Steve (low wing blue Evo)
Old Apr 29, 2004, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

The most camber you'll get without plates is about -1.8 (that's what mine maxed out to)
I think you you feel some tramlining with anything over about -1.5

Quick Reply: Kumho Ecsta V700 tire pressure