Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Cusco bolt-in roll cage....

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2004, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Cusco bolt-in roll cage....

Does anyone know the specs on Cusco's bolt-in roll cage? I was thinking of running this cage in SCCA showroom stock but need the specs to see if it will work.

It's also a good price at $800 for a 7-point chromoly weighing in at 50lbs.

Thanks for the help.
Old May 15, 2004, 03:34 PM

don't have definite specs...but the cusco one is FIA approved for right hand drive cars(there's a diagonal bar across the roof which will clear the head of a RHD, but not LHD). if i remember correctly, that bar isn't approved for SCCA, nor is it FIA approved for LHD vehicles.
Old May 16, 2004, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr. EV0
Does anyone know the specs on Cusco's bolt-in roll cage? ... It's also a good price at $800 for a 7-point chromoly weighing in at 50lbs.
The Cusco cage is not approved for LHD cars. BTW, the Cusco unit is technically a 6-point cage (even though they call it 7-point). You count the number of places the cage touches the chassis, not the number of braces. There are only 6 "feet" and no gussets or anything ... so it's a 6-point. And it's a VERY poor design from a safety perspective. It's fine if you just want it to look cool, but I wouldn't trust it on the track.

Check out the Autopower cages at i/o port racing. Type "Evo 7" in the search box in the upper right hand corner and you'll see a selection of SCCA-approved LHD Evo 7 cages.

Prices start at $270 for a basic 4-point roll-bar with cross brace and horizontal brace (harness bar).

They have bolt-in 6-point cages starting at $650. Notice how much better the bracing is?

Or, you can go for maximum chassis stiffness and impact protection with a weld-in 6-point kit for the same price ($650). This is a MUCH stronger design than the Cusco unit, with all it's unnecessary bends and complete lack of internal bracing.

Emre
Old May 16, 2004, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here's another source for Autopower cages: link

Emre
Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to dredge up this old thread.

Does anyone have any pictures of an Autopower 4 point cage installed in an Evo? I think I'm interested in a 4 point for the 6 to 8 track events I'd like to do each year. How badly does the mounting bar hinder ingress and egress of the rear seat? I'm thinking that hinderance is substantial in order for it to offer any kind of strength. Can a bolt-in roll bar be bolted in place in prep for an event and removed afterwards? I'd prefer a permanent installation but I can't sacrafice the rear seat functionality.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

I'd like to know how the rear bracing runs, if anyone has seen an autopower bar installed. how much of the rear seat access does it block?

propellerhead, from my experience with other cars you would not want to be taking the roll bar in and out.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too would like to see pics if anyone has some.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

SCCA Showroom Stock? That's road racing not Auto-X. The only category a relatively stock Evo can run in the SCCA is T-1, with Vipers & ZO6's. You would get eaten alive and it would cost tons of development money.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

i purchased this cage and ....it didnt fit ...at all....it is designed for a car WITHOUT a sunroof....so if you have a sunroof....
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. EV0
Does anyone know the specs on Cusco's bolt-in roll cage? I was thinking of running this cage in SCCA showroom stock but need the specs to see if it will work.

It's also a good price at $800 for a 7-point chromoly weighing in at 50lbs.

Thanks for the help.
all info:

www.vtcar.com
p:802.655.3533
f: 802.655.6693
e:clint@vtcar.com
Old Jul 13, 2004, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Scottybob
I'd like to know how the rear bracing runs, if anyone has seen an autopower bar installed. how much of the rear seat access does it block?

propellerhead, from my experience with other cars you would not want to be taking the roll bar in and out.
Well, I'm not too concerned with being able to completely remove the main roll bar as much as I'd like to remove the rear back stays, main bar diagonal and harness bar. Although my initial intent is to track the car 12 to 15 days a year, ultimately I'd like to prepare my car to run the Targa Newfoundland in a year or two. In the meantime I want to retain practical use of the rear seat. I think there are plenty of FIA and SCCA approved ways of doing this but I don't think I'm going to find a prepackaged bolt-in or weld-in cage that will meet my needs. I'll have to talk with a local fabrication shop to see what it will cost to build one. Prolly in excess of $3500. I guess it's cheap compared to the mod money I've spent so far and considering a well built cage could save my life.

The Sparco/A'Pexi USCC Evo has a beautiful cage installed in it but from what I can tell the back stays aren't legal. I think an adaptation of this design might work well for street use if you could design removable stays, harness bar and add a removable diagonal. It looks like the FIA allows removable structure members as long as they are not part of the main, front or lateral roll bars. So this means all diagonal braces, back stays, harness bars and door bars could be removable.

FIA regs: http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/etcregs.html

Article 253, section 8 covers roll cages.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Update:

I contacted IO Port Racing regarding the Autopower roll cage and got a response from Ken Myers. A few items of interest:

1.) The Autopower cage does not go through the dash. What this means to me is that the front roll bar verticals are either not straight up and down from the windshield to the floor, OR the front bar must mount in a place that obstructs the front door opening. Either way, that won't cut it for me.

2.) They don't have any pictures that show the bar installed.

3.) They don't know if the Evo 7 or Lancer application will fit the Evo 8. Ken indicated the sunroof wouldn't be a problem but obviously this isn't the case based on reports in this thread.

4.) Ken stated that a removable rear back stay or brace "would be dangerous". He didn't clarify if he meant it wouldn't be strong or if there was a liability issue if there was a possibility that the car could be operated without rear stays. Obviously it wouldn't be safe to run without rear stays. In my opinion, if properly designed, a rear stay that mounts using a clevis and pin arrangement should be plenty strong enough. The FIA rulebook offers plenty of acceptable joint designs. I still need to determine if the SCCA & NASA will accept the same design.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Propellarhead,
Good info. Thanks. I've been meaing to call IO Port Racing about there cage.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

anyone?
Old Oct 31, 2004, 04:28 PM
SOF
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
The Cusco cage is not approved for LHD cars. BTW, the Cusco unit is technically a 6-point cage (even though they call it 7-point). You count the number of places the cage touches the chassis, not the number of braces. There are only 6 "feet" and no gussets or anything ... so it's a 6-point. And it's a VERY poor design from a safety perspective. It's fine if you just want it to look cool, but I wouldn't trust it on the track.

Check out the Autopower cages at i/o port racing. Type "Evo 7" in the search box in the upper right hand corner and you'll see a selection of SCCA-approved LHD Evo 7 cages.

Prices start at $270 for a basic 4-point roll-bar with cross brace and horizontal brace (harness bar).

They have bolt-in 6-point cages starting at $650. Notice how much better the bracing is?

Or, you can go for maximum chassis stiffness and impact protection with a weld-in 6-point kit for the same price ($650). This is a MUCH stronger design than the Cusco unit, with all it's unnecessary bends and complete lack of internal bracing.

Emre
Are Autopower cages advertised as SCCA legal? I thought SCCA requires 2 door bars (which the bolt-in kit doesn't have) and a diagonal (which the weld-in kit doesn't have).

Quick Reply: Cusco bolt-in roll cage....