Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

DC FedEx Field 6/13 Autocross

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2004, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I'd post up a modification list to my car for anybody who is curious:

- 3" full exhaust from Buschur (downpipe, high-flow cat, midpipe, lightweight muffler)
- HKS cams (264 intake/272 exhaust)
- Adjustable cam gears
- Walbro 255lph (GSS342) fuel pump
- Vishnu XEDE engine management, custom tuned by Shiv
- Vishnu XEDEflash ECU modifications
- JIC FLTA2 single adjustable coilovers with custom spring rates
- Baer Eradispeed+ two-piece front brake rotors
- Autometer electronic boost gauge
- 5Zigen FN01R-C wheels, 17x9, with 245/40R17 Hoosier A3S04 tires
- Kartboy exhaust hangers
- Trunk trim removal (UD/BD to Evolution RS)
- Back seat removal

That's it, I believe.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FT@SELGP
I think also the term "boost control" is not being used properly There are ways in Street Prepared, just gotta read the rules closely.
Reading carefully or not.
No Blow off valve.
No MBC of antyhing that will alter the stock control via the BCS. You can make changes that will increase the boost, but they will not get rid of the high RPM taper.
No turbo/wastegate alterations at all.

You can do things that will make the boost higher as a side effect, but it is not as a controlled increase.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kyperion
But for local competition, where the PAX for SM is better than the PAX for BSP, I could run SM just to have a better chance in the overall.
I seriously doubt that the BSP PAX > SM PAX situation will persist into 2005. For ProSolo, the SM PAX is already considerably higher than the BSP PAX.

If you want to run the best PAX class for local events, wait until next year to see where the Evo is classed and what PAX numbers come out. I feel pretty sure SM will have a higher multiplier than BSP, but it's not my decision of course.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kyperion
Reading carefully or not.
No Blow off valve.
No MBC of antyhing that will alter the stock control via the BCS. You can make changes that will increase the boost, but they will not get rid of the high RPM taper.
No turbo/wastegate alterations at all.

You can do things that will make the boost higher as a side effect, but it is not as a controlled increase.
Read 15.1.D

We will see if Trbo Dad's car will be protested or not, that will resolve the issue. But he has to get into top 3 first
Old Jun 14, 2004, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
So RichJ, I am curious about your opinion... As a Camaro driver, where do you think the EVO and STI should go in Street Prepared?
I think others have already given you my opinion on that issue. My experience yesterday only confirmed my opinion a hundred-fold. I can't speak for the STi though. No experience driving or riding in one.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrennen
I thought I'd post up a modification list to my car for anybody who is curious:
So, what is the final weight of your car after all of the mods (without you of course)?

Fedja
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
So, what is the final weight of your car after all of the mods (without you of course)?

Fedja
Based on the "wet" curb weight of the car and various weights of parts I've put on and taken off, I'm guessing it's probably around 3050 pounds when prepped for autocross, with 1/4 tank of fuel. One of these days, I'll get an accurate weight.

Other weight savings could be done at significant expense or by stripping things out of the car. Many of these would (negatively) impact the car's use as a daily driver -- like A/C removal, lightweight racing seats, complete removal of rear seat belts (including retractors and all other hardware), replacement of cat with test pipe (yes I know some people daily drive catless cars, but not me).

Other weight saving options are expensive -- like forged custom wheels, hood/fender/fascia replacement with lightweight materials (like carbon fiber), full titanium exhaust, etc.

I think that a 2900 pound (or even less) SM-legal Evo might be possible, given enough time, money, commitment, and creativity.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Read 15.1.D

We will see if Trbo Dad's car will be protested or not, that will resolve the issue. But he has to get into top 3 first
I'm not quite clear on what you are talking about. What could be protested on my car? I have been very careful to keep within the SP rules.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

I'm curious too. I read 15.1.D and didn't see what you were talking about. Based on the mod list I've seen for Trbo Dad, it all looked legal to me, provided that the emanage has no impact on boost level. And even if it does eliminate fuel cut (don't know if it does or not), I still think it'd be legal.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RichJ
I'm curious too. I read 15.1.D and didn't see what you were talking about. Based on the mod list I've seen for Trbo Dad, it all looked legal to me, provided that the emanage has no impact on boost level. And even if it does eliminate fuel cut (don't know if it does or not), I still think it'd be legal.
It doesn't touch boost or fuel cut.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Trbo Dad
I'm not quite clear on what you are talking about. What could be protested on my car? I have been very careful to keep within the SP rules.
I personally think you are fully legal. Some of the speculations have been that you cannot obtain that much whp without changing boost levels. That may or may not be true, but according to 15.1.D (some intrepret it at least) you can change your boost pressure if it is part of a ECU modification that targets fuel and ignition timing, and if that results in the boost to change, it is OK.

Now, I personally am not sure if that is the right intrepretation or not, but if someone was doing that and changing boost levels indirectly, that would not be "boost control". Boost control is something completely different. However, others might argue that the "spirit" of that rule is actually not changing boost levels.

The only way to find out is to protest, but protesting something that is relatively hard to prove might be expensive

But the other side of the coin is that, no one I heard want to protest, as they want us out of ESP any how. So, no matter wheather they think that ECU updates changing boost is legal or not, I doubt anyone will protest any of us this season. However, if somehow, we are left in ESP; I think people will be looking at this issue a little differently in 2005.

Also, keep in mind, these are just rumors, talks and nothing actionable IMHO. So, at the end, once you get a little success the rumor mill works overtime one way or another
Old Jun 14, 2004, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
But the other side of the coin is that, no one I heard want to protest, as they want us out of ESP any how. So, no matter wheather they think that ECU updates changing boost is legal or not, I doubt anyone will protest any of us this season. However, if somehow, we are left in ESP; I think people will be looking at this issue a little differently in 2005.
I do believe that when you guys get to the Nationals, regardless of the decision on whether the EVO and the STi stay or leave the class, there will be protesting one way or another. I have seen protest for the trophy positions for much smaller things. And among those boost is the worst one ever!!

Fedja

Last edited by MrAWD; Jun 14, 2004 at 07:49 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
I do believe that when you guys get to the Nationals, regardless of the decision on whether the EVO and the STi stay or leave the class, there will be protesting one way or another. I have seen protest for the trophy positions for much smaller things. And among those boost is the worst one ever!!

Fedja
I agree with you. Some may be willing to do and may be others will be watching closely. Right now, the hot spot is on Trbo Dad; best of luck
Old Jun 15, 2004, 06:55 AM
ACM
Evolving Member

The rule says you can't modify the boost control system - all other mods called out are specifically legal, whether or not they affect boost. Intake, exhaust, timing, fueling...What you can't do is change the way the ECU manipulates the BCS, nor can you change fuel/ignition cuts that are triggered in the manner specified in the appropriate rule (not in front of me right now, sorry). Other fuel cuts can be removed, provided they're trigered in other ways.

I suspect major scrutiny will be on BCS control for EVOs, and ECU boost control on the STis. If I remember correcetly, STi boost is managed directly by the ECU, so that will be the target on that car, and I'm betting that the approach will be Guilty until proven innocent with STi ECU mods.

This whole subject is going to come under the microscope regardless of what class Evos and STis end up in.

Charles
Old Jun 15, 2004, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

I'm confused, exactly how is TrboDad on the hot seat? Because of the emanage? Or is there something else? The emanage has no way to control boost, and even with manipulating fuel and timing any possible change in boost pressure as a side effect would be un-measurable. Maybe I'm missing something?

Quick Reply: DC FedEx Field 6/13 Autocross