Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO autox class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cajun Power
I am open and up front...
That's cool. At the local level, it's not at all unheard of for people to run in a class which fits their car in spirit although technically illegal.

Lots of people come out to autocross without knowing the rules, and depending on their modifications, may end up getting "thrown to the wolves" -- like a VW Turbo Beetle which is stock except for a cool-sounding BOV. Such a car should legally be running in Street Modified, but might be allowed locally to run in G Stock (or STX), where the car will at least have a chance.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Amen Brother!

I just go to have some fun and DRIVE!
Old Jun 30, 2004, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jbrennen
As a new class for 2004, participation in STU is very hard to predict. Some regions or events don't offer the class at all. On the other hand, one national level event (the Atwater Tour) had 8 entrants in STU (5 of them Evos), more than some well-established classes had...

In addition to the Evo and the STi, look to see BMW M3s doing well in STU. The M3s get to mount wider tires, and they are lighter. The Evos and STis will have a bit more power.

And because participation is low, you may find cars which are not "natural" STU cars running STU hoping to "cherry pick" a class win. I've seen a few Subaru WRXs which are legal for STX running in STU.
It was actually only 3 EVO's. 2 of them were double drivers.

In my region STU has not taken off like STX did. I have tried it, and I don't think the stock clutch in the EVO could handle the allowed power mods over a full season of competition. To be honest, I would prefer to stay where I am (ESP) running street tires just so I could upgrade the clutch.

Originally Posted by jbrennen
A '96 M3 won STU at the previously mentioned Atwater Tour, beating an Evo by 0.5 seconds. Not just any Evo either -- this Evo placed second in ESP at the 2003 Nat'l Championship; it's fairly decently prepped.

The fact is that the M3s are allowed by STU rules to run more tire than the AWD cars, and the E36 M3s are lighter than Evos or STis. Lighter car, more tire. The Evos and STis can probably beat the M3 on acceleration and can probably put that power down earlier on corner exit. But the M3 will carry more speed in the corner due to the wider, more lightly loaded, tires.

Food for thought, all that guy in the BMW did was to add coilovers to an otherwise stock M3.

Last edited by chrisw; Jun 30, 2004 at 09:50 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 09:59 AM

Yes, the rules can be tricky, my region runs Street Novice for first year competitors based on PAX. So that's fun for me! But I'm going to pull out of that and put my car into SM, where it belongs. Unfortunately a $45 hallman MBC puts you into SM. My SM region isn't TOO tough; several WRXs with coilovers, utecs, etc., camaros with big tires, and a talon with a RRE suspension and victoracers. They don't care what you have done with your car unless you pose a threat
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by metaphysical
They don't care what you have done with your car unless you pose a threat
In SM, there has never been a formal protest at a National level event.

In SM, drivetrain, suspension, and brakes are all unrestricted. (Well, suspension must use the stock attachment points.)

Modifications which don't provide a performance advantage are unlikely to be protested.

With all of that out of the way, there are really only two areas that provide any significant performance increase and where an SM car owner might try to cheat:

- Illegal chassis modifications. If they're big enough to make a difference, they're big enough for a competitor to spot them.

- Illegal weight reduction. Again, if it's big enough to make a difference, it's big enough for a competitor to spot it.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

I think the Cams, boost controller, etc. put you in SM.... That is where I am...if you are like me and are just doing it for fun and to enjoy your car then it really does not matter what class you are in...Just get in the correct one and have fun...
Old Jun 30, 2004, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Jack, you are right, E46 M3 is actually excluded; the E36 M3 is included

http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/Fil...4-fastrack.pdf