Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO autox class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO autox class

Does anyone here know if the Evo can run in any of the classes that don't allow R-Compound tires, like STX. I dont really have the budget to run an extra set of wheels with race tires, and obviously it is hard to be competive in a class that allows r-compounds without them.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

by the way ur avatar is awesome.... "a monster hand"
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

STU. Its a new class this year.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:15 PM

Kevo-Do you have any links to the rules for STU? thanks

mifesto-Thanks, i think teddy KGB is one of the best characters in any movie
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

I believe that the Evo is excluded from STU, STX.... The 3 classes that I have seen EVO's run in are AS - if it is totally stock, ESP, SM... All depends on your mods.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

The EVO is excluded from STX, not STU. Basically all the same STX rules apply, the EVO and STI are limited to 245 sized tires.

rules are summarized here.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 03:33 PM

thanks alot. it seems like STU is a class created just for the Evo/Sti, so what do you think the chances are of there being anyone to compete against in this class on the local level.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DieselDave
thanks alot. it seems like STU is a class created just for the Evo/Sti, so what do you think the chances are of there being anyone to compete against in this class on the local level.
As a new class for 2004, participation in STU is very hard to predict. Some regions or events don't offer the class at all. On the other hand, one national level event (the Atwater Tour) had 8 entrants in STU (5 of them Evos), more than some well-established classes had...

In addition to the Evo and the STi, look to see BMW M3s doing well in STU. The M3s get to mount wider tires, and they are lighter. The Evos and STis will have a bit more power.

And because participation is low, you may find cars which are not "natural" STU cars running STU hoping to "cherry pick" a class win. I've seen a few Subaru WRXs which are legal for STX running in STU.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 06:55 PM

thanks Jbrennen, thats exacly what i was looking for. By the way, i had my car aligned to the settings you posted in another thread a few weeks ago and it feels noticably better than stock, alot more nuetral handling. i can't wait to try at at an autocross in a few weeks.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jbrennen

In addition to the Evo and the STi, look to see BMW M3s doing well in STU. The M3s get to mount wider tires, and they are lighter. The Evos and STis will have a bit more power.
Jack, I don't think the M3s will be competitive in STU frankly; we are talking about E46 M3 not E36, hence they are actually heavier than the Evo and STi, not much but some; and we have more torque, well at least with the STi
Old Jun 29, 2004, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FT@SELGP
Jack, I don't think the M3s will be competitive in STU frankly; we are talking about E46 M3 not E36...
Actually, I'm talking about E36 M3s. The E46 M3 is on the STU exclusion list -- although I can't imagine why; most agree that the E36 M3 is a better autocross car.

A '96 M3 won STU at the previously mentioned Atwater Tour, beating an Evo by 0.5 seconds. Not just any Evo either -- this Evo placed second in ESP at the 2003 Nat'l Championship; it's fairly decently prepped.

The fact is that the M3s are allowed by STU rules to run more tire than the AWD cars, and the E36 M3s are lighter than Evos or STis. Lighter car, more tire. The Evos and STis can probably beat the M3 on acceleration and can probably put that power down earlier on corner exit. But the M3 will carry more speed in the corner due to the wider, more lightly loaded, tires.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

I have to agree with you if it is really the E36 M3, those are really hard to beat (i.e. BSP). We know that top runners get their car down to about 2600-2800 lbs; that is tough. But I was pretty sure it was the E46 M3, hmmm... better double check this
Old Jun 30, 2004, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

I was in SM last year due to my vishnu stage 1+. This year I am in STU. 2nd (SM), 1st (STU), 1st (STU). Not too bad. EVO's and Sti mostly in STU. We do have a very modified SRT-4 in STU too. He falls in the middle of the pack usually. Good driver+so so car. If he had an EVO he would give me a run for my $$$. I think STU was made for the EVO's and STI's. I run my street tires and stock rims. We have an EVO in the stock class running lighter rims and super sticky tires (ringer).
Old Jun 30, 2004, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cajun Power
I was in SM last year due to my vishnu stage 1+. This year I am in STU.
You realize that your car is not STU legal, if your modification list in your signature is accurate, right?

At last three things on there are clearly not allowed in STU -- cams, cam gears, and the BOV; and if the XEDE is controlling boost, that's illegal too.

In addition, I'm no ST rule guru, but I think that the XEDE may be suspect. It appears that in ST, piggyback devices are permitted to modify signals into the ECU, but not signals out of the ECU. If the XEDE modifies signals which come out of the ECU, that would likely be illegal.

I think that the downpipe, the Walbro fuel pump, and the SS clutch line with restrictor removal are all illegal in STU as well.

BTW, the only reason I'm not keeping this to a PM is because I would like to avoid the possibility for somebody else to see your mod list and take that as an example of how to build an STU car.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up yes, but.....

I am open and up front with the SCCA rep and the club rep (who drives and EVO too) they know every part that I have changed on my car and where I ordered them from. They have put me in the STU class based on their interpretation of the rules. I don't think that I should be in this class either due to the cams (from what I read above). I am new at auto-x so I have no idea what class I should be in. I enjoy running in the STU class as I get to go up against EVOs, STI and other turbo cars. I think the power I make helps for my gross lack of experience.

I enjoy auto-x and run a car that is my only transportation. I don't have a dedicated race car or a "trailer queen" that I uncork for events. I just pack a lunch, grab some painting tape (to keep the rock chips to a min) and a helmet and I'm out the door. For $10 I get to drive like a nut and not get arrested!!!!

If I was serious into auto-x I would buy a miata and hop it up just like everyone else. I can handle blowing up a 5k car easier than 35+K car. I love the EVO and what it can do. Auto-x is one of those time when you get to see what you car can REALLY do.

Quick Reply: EVO autox class