Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Summit Pt. weekend with Pic

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2004, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summit Pt. weekend with Pic

Went to NASA hyperfest last weekend. I had a blast in my EVO, this is the first time I ran in Summit Point so the first day I try to work on my line, braking point etc.... My instructor who drives an EVO also work with me patiently with the lines and techniqes going around the course. We had very good communication and he help me get more and more comfortable with the track and my car. Big thanks to Warren .

This is my first track event since 5 years ago in limerock so I have a lot to catch up and learn. The car performs really well through out the 2 days event. The brakes turned brown but it held up ok with the ATS fluids. The stock pads are getting tired at the end of each section. The kumho victoracer held up really good through out the entire section, very consistance. I ran 35f and 40r at autox with a 25mm rear swaybar which helps the car rotate nicely but I ran 33psi (cold) all around at the track just to be safe since I don't have that much experience on the track.

My rear bumper is kinda burnt because I'm shooting flames out when letting off the gas right after WOT. So I need to find a bigger aluminum plate on to of the exhaust outlet.

All in all I have a great weekend with tons of funs in my EVO. I'm looking forward to another track event hopefully in Sept!

Last edited by kevo; Jul 12, 2004 at 07:19 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
wat kind of taillights are those, veryy nice
Old Jul 12, 2004, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
oh yea and wat is the purpose of blue tape across headlights?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:37 PM

Nice looking car. What wheel and tire size combo is that?
Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:03 AM

rocks and debree hiting the lights tape prevents scratches and cracks
Old Jul 13, 2004, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

If and when the car is in a collision, glass won't be all over the track possibly cuasing another car to have a blow out. It's for safety.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah they want you to tape your headlights for safty reason (Glass won't scatter all over the track if its be hit by debree). Rovman I'm running 17x9 Advan RG with 255/40/17 Victoracer.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the answer. If you don't mind I have a few more questions. What is the offset of your rims? and have you had any rubbing issues with this set up? The reason why i am asking because the set-up that you have is what I plan on going to for my track events sometime in the near future. That and possibly an RRE JIC set-up as well. With your experience with this set-up are you pleased with it? Do you find that the tire size works well with the rim size? I.E. no excesive tire roll over are deflection. I have not seen many people sticking with the 17" tire when going to a track set -up for some reason. I feel that the 17" rim on this car would be better than a larger size because proper tire deflection and compliance is a strong part of the equation of grip. If you ever watch any Touring car, GT, GTS, are any series of that nature. One rarely sees cars with 1 1/2 to 2" sidewall profiles running around the track. It may look cool but I feel that that lack of tire deflection puts even more emphisis on suspension set-up hence making it more difficult to achieve better grip. Anyway, I am rambling.
Thanks for any of your answers and input.

Stephen

Last edited by Rovman; Jul 13, 2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

The offset of the wheels are 35. they don't rub driving on the street nor track days but they will rub the inner rubber slightly at autox when the front suspension is compress hard enough with steering turn to one side. I didn't hear the rub though but noticed it when I change tires. I'm also running JIC coilovers. I think most of the track people runs 17s at the track and I think 95% of autoxer run 17s also. They give you better acceleration and they are lighter with more tire choices, not to mention they are cheaper than 18s. I think most of them who runs 18s for clearance of upgraded calipers. If you are planning to run 245 or 255 tires, I would recommand to run 17x9 wheels.

PS, I run more - camber than stock, -3 front and -1.6 rear. That gives me more clearance form the fenders.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:05 PM

Thanks again for your input. I am pretty sure that is the set-up I will go with when I am ready to purchase. For the moment I am making do with the stock set-up and through trial and error and a few alignment changes have gotten the car pretty balanced with just a little understeer still. I have thought about getting a rear sway bar but have witnessed fairly aggresive rear inside wheel lift with this mod. Some say that is no big deal, others think that it is a sign of a problem or room for more adjustments. Problem is with the stock set-up there are usually no more adjustments that are available to be made to fix it. So I think when i am ready I will buy everything all at once. The coilovers,sway bar,rim and tires. That way knowing what components I will have will aid RRE in seting up my suspension for what I need it for and want it to do for me. Then I can fine tune it for thier base line set-up. Since you have JIC's also, did you purchase them and set them up yourself? I have heard horror stories of poeple buying them and having a hard time to get them set up and not really satisfied with thier purchase. Granted these may be poeple that do not understand who, what, where, when are has any knowledge on suspension set-up. I have competed as an amature motorcycle road racer for 4 years now and have set-up the suspension on all of my race bikes and a few other fellow racers bikes with great success. So I have a pretty good handle on what all of the functions are of the shocks themselves. Even still, I believe I am going to rely on RRE's experience and R&D to get me to a good base line and then I can take it from there. I was just curious as to whether are not you had set up your own suspension.

Thanks again,
Rovman
Old Jul 14, 2004, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

I tuned my car myself. I got the car in Feb and was running the stock setup and tires for the first 2-3 events. The car don't have any hint of understeer back then and the stock tires are awsome at that time due to the cool weather. Then, when the weather gets warmer and warmer, the car start understeer, I try to work on the suspension one at a time, almost adding new stuff or setting every event haha. I corner weighted the JIC and put heavier spring in the rear to try to eliminate the understeer, it works for a while. When the weather got warmer, there is a local autox lot (orchard beach)where the pathment is flat and smooth with tons of grip (almost like an National course). Then I'm starting to notice the rear tire don't want to give up before the front do no matter what I do. I've tried different tire pressure and still pushing. Then I add the rear swaybar to helps the car rotate, It does lift the rear inside tires, but I didn't notice any trade off for cornering speed. I don't know if it works for everyone but it works for me. the car rotate nicely with 35psi front and 40psi rear pressure. I got faster time and took FTD 3 times in a roll in 2 SCCA and a NASA event last month.

For road course, I'm still a noob while I focus more on (driving) staying in line and too much autox also makes me tend to enter apex earlier than I should. However I do see improvements/ progress in the two days events.

Here are a couple pic of lifting tires at an autox

Old Jul 26, 2004, 02:48 PM
Former Sponsor

those pics are nice,

im feeling the white car with gold rims too.