Notices

Welcome all!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2004, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep I am going with the 264/272 myself. Nino dince you rule got these in stock? haha
Old Feb 3, 2004, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why are you deleting my posts? Dont you want your customers to know that by running a 264/272 they can gain 10whp and still keep their daily driveability?
Old Feb 3, 2004, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

ez76 : I know that the 264/272 combo is acceptable for many people as a great choice, But from someone whos sold a few of those combos, the results dont always bring as happy a person as you'd expect. There are people out there who notice the ever so slight difference in idle quality and fuel economy with the larger cam and simply dont want it.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by boostedwrx
why are you deleting my posts? Dont you want your customers to know that by running a 264/272 they can gain 10whp and still keep their daily driveability?
I dont want the post to gravittae into another afdvertisment for another vendor.Im already tired of it in the 2 hours my forum has been up..

If those other vendors are such ridiculous children maybe they need to get into another line of work.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 04:18 PM

congrats nino! Your big time now!
john
Old Feb 3, 2004, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe the thread should be renamed Welcome All But Ridiculous Children!!!
Old Feb 3, 2004, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats Nino...now you are a baller!
Old Feb 3, 2004, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ninosautoacc
Granted, You may not gain the extra 10 horses that you would with the 272 exhaust but not everyone is out to make their car a dyno queen with maxx power.

Some people actually want to drive their cars daily.
My own personal dyno research after testing 8 differnt sets of cams in all possible combinations shows that in fact there is almost NIL differnce between HKS 264 and 272 cams with the stock turbo and stock engine

The ONLY way you will realize appreciable gains with bigger than 264 cams (intake OR exhuast) is through a larger turbo, better valve train or higher compression pistons

Therefore - (speaking as someone who doesn;t sell ANY cams) - if you have stock turbo and engine get the 264's

If you have modified turbo or engine AND don't mind a rough idle - get the 272's for a bit more power up top
Old Feb 3, 2004, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
My own personal dyno research after testing 8 differnt sets of cams in all possible combinations shows that in fact there is almost NIL differnce between HKS 264 and 272 cams with the stock turbo and stock engine

The ONLY way you will realize appreciable gains with bigger than 264 cams (intake OR exhuast) is through a larger turbo, better valve train or higher compression pistons

Therefore - (speaking as someone who doesn;t sell ANY cams) - if you have stock turbo and engine get the 264's

If you have modified turbo or engine AND don't mind a rough idle - get the 272's for a bit more power up top
I wanted to add another interesting point . . . . once you reach X amount of whp on the stock engine and turbo its like hitting a wall and there is very little you can do to make any more significant whp gains beyond that point - - - we have seen this happen on 4 or 5 evos already that reached point "X" and would not go further

Sorry - I wont tell you what "X" is - we have to keep some secrets!
Old Feb 3, 2004, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

I wanted to add another interesting point . . . . once you reach X amount of whp on the stock engine and turbo its like hitting a wall and there is very little you can do to make any more significant whp gains beyond that point - - - we have seen this happen on 4 or 5 evos already that reached point "X" and would not go further

Oh, come on! You can tell us a secret. Is it close to 400 whp?
Old Feb 3, 2004, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by kitus66

Oh, come on! You can tell us a secret. Is it close to 400 whp?
I really can't say . . . . look at some dyno sheets and you can see where we are at with the stock turbo !
Old Feb 3, 2004, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

EZ

The person who is recommending you 264 HKS cams had tried 264s, 272s, and JUN 264 cams, and HE is telling you to get 264s because of his experience with them (I know because I was given the same advise BEFORE he became partners with the vendor yo are talking about). If you go to the automotorsports webpage, the test they had on the 264 combo vs. 264/272 combo is pretty much the same (the 264/272 had ~1whp more than the 264s, and they had the same wTQ). 264s will give you more power down low, but 272s will give you more power up top (we need MIVEC). Noone in this forum (I think) has hard evidence that 264/272 is better than 264s.

Just clarifying things to avoid flames.

quote:
Originally posted by ez76
More questions:
Is it ethical for a tuner to advocate a 264/264 setup even though he knows it makes less power?
Does this change if in fact the reason the tuner advocates such a set-up is because he and his cohorts are unable to get other cam sets to idle reliably?
Does this change if the tuner and his cohorts have a business agreement to offer staged packages and reflashes based on a 264/264 cam setup?
Does this change if you don't expect most potential customers to be able to read between the lines?

Big Al comments :

Just so very one knows - I prefer JUN cams.

I wouldn't use ANYTHING but JUN on my car. The 264 is the only JUN cam which is even remotely use able on the street - its more like the HKS 272 but better. The big draw back with JUN is high cost and you HAVE to change the springs and retainers to be safe as they have better profiles and lift than others

Also JUN is more costly

With all that said - I stand by my comments that as far as stock turbo - stock engine cars (mine is very non stock) - the HKS 264 / 264 is the best set up for a street driver

In saying this - please keep in mind I do not sell parts and do not have any motivation to recomend one set of cams over the other

I am not sure if they guy I quoted above is talking about me - BUT - please realize that both Buschur, Pruven and Nino all sell 264 HKS and 272 HKS - for what ever that is worth
Old Feb 3, 2004, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Al please PM me if you wish to discuss my comments from the other forum. There is no need to pollute Nino's welcome thread.

Again, congrats on your forum Nino! Can't wait to see version 2.0 of your site!
Old Feb 3, 2004, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ez76
Al please PM me if you wish to discuss my comments from the other forum. There is no need to pollute Nino's welcome thread.

Again, congrats on your forum Nino! Can't wait to see version 2.0 of your site!
thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Hello Nino/AL WELCOME and if possible hook us up ! ,Valentines day is coming up and girl wants to buy me a reflash

Anyways just waiting for the Buschur Intake special to come up again,are you going to hook us up please...

Also

What the diiference between a reflash with MBC and a reflash without MBC...

Just wondering since just in case I have to take MBC out for the dealer if it will hurt the car in anyway..

THANKS NINO
LOOKING FORWARD TO THE VALENTINES SPECIAL

Last edited by DocMortal; Feb 4, 2004 at 12:09 AM.