Notices

Random tech cats!!Stainless and sweet!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2004, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool,

Thanks for the feedback. That's the cat? It practically looks like a straight pipe, heh.

Did you install all three (DP, catback, and cat) at the same time? Just wondering if the cat made a noticeable diff.

Thanks,

FB
Old Apr 20, 2004, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by berkel
Did you install all three (DP, catback, and cat) at the same time? Just wondering if the cat made a noticeable diff.
Installed everything together. However, we tried bolting the Helix downpipe to the stock cat and the downpipe rubbed the undercarriage. Apparently, the stock US cat is marginally shorter than the JDM cat. There's no rubbing with the Random Tech cat, but we added a little heat shielding to be safe (and to keep oil temp down?). Yeah, it looks like a resonator, doesn't it?
Old Apr 20, 2004, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome, great info thanks.

See, I ordered the cat, hoping it would help with fitment, since I explained to my wife that the stock cat was a little too short and caused the dp to rub intermittently.

Can't wait, I hope it makes a noticeable diff in perf, and per Silver Surfer's highflow cat thread it should help with spoolup and area under the curve (as well as ~hp peak).

<EDIT>
BTW, has anyone passed inspection with this cat, specifically in MA? I may just swap the stock cat back in, but if it would be nice if it did pass.
</EDIT>

Take care,

FB

Last edited by berkel; Apr 21, 2004 at 07:10 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

I recieved the cat last week and when I installed, I noticed that it doesn't have new gaskets or any nuts and bolts included. I had to go to the hardware store to get some 14mm ones. Is it me, or are the stock gaskets a little smaller?
Old May 6, 2004, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Hey all,

Got mine last night, sweet!

Only prob is no gaskets or bolts. Gaskets aren't a problem, I have ones from my Helix DP.

Can't reuse the stock bolts, since the front bolts are threaded and the rear are studs right on the stock cat. I really like how the RT cat flanges swivel, that's awesome and will really help with install. It took me a long time hooking up the Helix dp to the stock cat while lying under the car...

Anyway, I'm at work and I'm going to buy some bolts and nuts. I forgot the stock ones to compare, which actually don't fit through the RT Cat flanges anyway. Do I want 14 mm bolts?

I'll hook it up tonight and post impressions.

Thanks,

FB
Old May 7, 2004, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Nino,
Called you last week about the gaskets and bolts. Have you found out any more information on weather or not the RT cats are supposed to come with gaskets and bolts? If not, do they sell them separately? Thanks.

Berkel,
I used 14mm nuts and bolts, cause those were the only ones I could find that would fit through the flange at the time.
Old May 8, 2004, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks mang.

I went to a hardware store and got some stainless M12 (I think) bolts, washers, and nuts. The head is a 17 mm socket. They fit nicely.

I also got some adhesive heat shield/exhaust repair stuff, and put it between the helix DP and subframe and near the oilpan. I started the car and there is NO rubbing. It looks awesome too, if you happen to be under the car, lol. Well it looks good until I get to my stock Intermediate pipe, lol.

Car spools very fast now. Seems like the pull is longer and smoother. I also was getting ~2 lbs more boost, so I needed to turn it down a tad. Sounds deeper, but almost more mellow in a way, probably because there are no resonances from rubbing anymore. I think I can tweak my boost and SAFCII a little to really take advantage, but this is a great mod to complete my exhaust (for now).

<EDIT>
Almost forgot, I've driven on it for a couple days and NO CEL.
</EDIT>

Take care,

FB