Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

who wants a NASA time trial license?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2009 | 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

The NASA HPDE program is excellent. I never had any interest in road racing or autocross myself until we built the Magnum for Time Attack. I decided I waited long enough and signed up for HPDE 1 at Mid Ohio. I was nervous/scared the first 20 minute session but loosened up pretty quickly. I was blessed to have an instructor that was just flat out fabulous, Larry Ellis. Great guy, great instructor.

The way the HPDE program works is you have to start in HPDE 1, which is a novice beginner group. There are some exceptions for people with prior experience. In HPDE 1 you have an instructor to show you the ins and outs. After each 20 minute session there is a "download" which is classroom discussion. You learn more techniques and discuss things that happened during your session. A good driver with some skill will quickly get signed off on by an instructor to move to HPDE 2. In HPDE 2 you no longer need an instructor. You drive by yourself and are still on the track with HPDE 1 people.

There are "requirements" to move from Group 1 up to 2, 3, 4. You receive a book you have to be signed off on that state you meet those requirements. Car control, heel/toe, trail braking, etc. One of the more important things is knowing the flags and what to do when you see them and safety vehicles, pace cars etc. on the track. A GOOD instructor will make sure you know those things before signing you off.

I'll be honest. I went into the NASA program with the outlook I was going to be the dumbest guy there and that I'd stay humble and quiet. I did just that, I read the NASA CCR, I learned the flags, I learned what to do with safety vehicles and pace cars. I shut my mouth and I listened.

I moved from Group 1 to Group 2 after my first 3 day weekend. I then spent a 3 day weekend in Group 2 and asked for an instructor to ride with me to see if I could move to Group 3. I moved up to Group 3 after that weekend. Both times I moved up the instructors DRILLED me on flags and safety vehicles.

The next time out I spent 3 days in Group 3. While I was one of the faster drivers the instructor (thanks Wade) suggested that I stay in Group 3 for one more day and practice trail braking and heel and toe. He also said, since I was looking to get my TT license if I really wanted to move up he'd sign me off for Group 4. I told him, "No, I want to do this right and move up when I am told I am good enough." I then spent another full 3 day weekend in Group 3 again, even though I was told to move to Group 4 after the first session. I then asked two seperate instructors to ride with me and got a big thumbs up from both of them to move to Group 4.

I am going back in July to run in HPDE 4 for the first time and am going for my TT license this year.

I am going to tell you something that really pisses me off. There are a number of instructors who think it's cool to just sign off their buddies and move them ahead in the program. I understand it is not cheap to run these weekends but neither is being a dumb *** and not knowing the rules, how to handle your car and holding up real drivers on the track. I know a few instructors who sign off people as favors or sign off someone because they have great car control but nothing about flags or other track rules. It is really a **** poor thing for instructors to do.

I had the same offer from an instructor I know, to move me right up through the HPDE program based on my ability to control the car fairly well................I passed on the offer and went through the program like I think everyone should do.

I give the entire NASA program a huge thumbs up, one of the best programs I have ever been involved with.
Old May 23, 2009 | 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by KevinD
our car is a trailer only car. it is un-registerable that also means we don't need insurance for it
what do you have in store for the car? or are you not letting the cat out of the bag?
Old May 23, 2009 | 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by low_psi
what do you have in store for the car? or are you not letting the cat out of the bag?
As you might know, the shop recently picked up a yellow Evo 8 roller. I don't think it's any secret that they are going to build an all-out dedicated track car / time-attack car.

However, since Kevin always puts his customers' cars first (and I know we all appreciate him for that) I have no guesses on when it might be ready. But when it is you know it'll be scary fast.
Old May 23, 2009 | 01:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by low_psi
initial plans:

gutting the car
caging it
safety stuff (window nets, fire suppression, race seats, harnesses, quick release wheel)

engine:
2.3L stroker motor, cosworth head, either an FP red turbo, or a 30R FP variant. we are going to tune it to around 420whp to stay in TTU based off the cars weight. if it comes in lighter then we expect it will be detuned further. i think we will target a huge torque number though it will be controlled off stock ecu though, and either pump gas or E85. prolly E85. we will be running a fuel cell possibly, but thats still up in the air. might be something we add later. (stock tank is super heavy).

suspension:
275 tires on either 17x10 wheels or 18x10 wheels. hoosier R6. the 18's are going to be preffered because we will eventually want big brakes.
for now, the JIC coilovers i have we will use, but i have mentioned to vorshlag we would be interested in trying the AST shocks of theirs.
Denver wants to make a tubular subframe and drew wants to redesign the suspension points specficially for a lowered car if we do that.

we already have a transfercase we are adding a limit slip to and sending it to shep. we will have a tranny eventually for him as well. thats the one thing we are missing right now.

we are getting an alejandro special carbon hood, and hopefully he will make our full length carbon undertray with rear diffuser.

we are going to do a little at a time because its expensive!!
Old May 23, 2009 | 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor

oh and thanks dave for the excellent insight into how to get to the TT level !!
Old May 23, 2009 | 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Kevin, when I'm at the shop getting the motor mount and sway bar remind me to talk to you about the box of goodies I just got
Old May 23, 2009 | 03:40 PM

A Red or 30R with a stroker motor is definately the way to go. Sacrifice a few revs for a nice broad powerband.

As for taking your time, sounds kinda like my 5yr plan for the Protege lol. Sounds like you've got a good list of parts