Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

COBB Plano Evo Dyno Day FEELER

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2009 | 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrMTB
All of this having been said, I'm not sure it can be safely assumed that the dyno is reading ~15% high, as Boostez has stated.
I'm not assuming it's reading 15% high to any dyno.
1) All dynos aren't calibrated the same.
2) All cars don't put down consistent numbers from day to day.
3) Putting a FMIC on a car could absolutely "toy" with previous readings.
4) I put my car on this dyno with NO other additional mods to make a fair comparison with a dynojet. The only difference would be the air in Texas vs. the air in LA and the 91 octane vs. 93 octane (which made little difference).

Lastly, Justin is using an off-the-shelf tune as opposed to a custom tune like my car has. This *will* also create variations from a previous dyno.
Old Sep 19, 2009 | 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

i dont think Justin has a new IC....maybe i wrong...
Old Sep 19, 2009 | 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03
i dont think Justin has a new IC....maybe i wrong...
thats-a-fact-Jack !!
Old Sep 19, 2009 | 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Hey, if nothing else it was time spent with good friends, free pizza and a chance to dig Roberts mind on the new FPBlack.

I was glad to see a 20 hp increase from last time with a aluminum driveshaft and an updated tune.
Old Sep 19, 2009 | 08:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
I'm not assuming it's reading 15% high to any dyno.
1) All dynos aren't calibrated the same.
2) All cars don't put down consistent numbers from day to day.
3) Putting a FMIC on a car could absolutely "toy" with previous readings.
4) I put my car on this dyno with NO other additional mods to make a fair comparison with a dynojet. The only difference would be the air in Texas vs. the air in LA and the 91 octane vs. 93 octane (which made little difference).

Lastly, Justin is using an off-the-shelf tune as opposed to a custom tune like my car has. This *will* also create variations from a previous dyno.

93 will make significantly more power then 91, so if your making more power here i would attribute it to better gas (depending on how the car was tuned, it could make a lot more power by running 93).

justin shimachu? i tuned his car, so its a custom tune as well. not an off the shelf tune. although, he added the intercooler and has had the car worked on recently so its possibly it has boost leaks.
Old Sep 19, 2009 | 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Boostez, the rule of thumb that I've seen is that dynojet runs about 15% higher than mustang. You are right that you did not quote that number, but you did say it was returning DJ like numbers, so my comment stands.
Old Sep 19, 2009 | 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

FWIW, I've spent several hours on Buschurs Mustang Dyno and today at Cobb's for nearly 3 hours. Based on my pre-expected numbers, we were dead on what we expected to see.
Old Sep 19, 2009 | 10:51 PM

I made three horsepower less than last year. I have an upgraded intercooler, and I have been using an off the shelf tune. I am likely going to put my custom tune (KevinD) back just want to have lean spool turned off.

Still have the custom tune saved though.

Last edited by Shimanchu; Sep 23, 2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2009 | 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Why?
i put down 20 more hp than you with like 1000 more mods..and 5 more psi

Last edited by nikkadanny; Sep 19, 2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2009 | 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
93 will make significantly more power then 91, so if your making more power here i would attribute it to better gas (depending on how the car was tuned, it could make a lot more power by running 93).
I'm not making more power here (according to my dyno numbers.) Also look at the A/F ratios. I'm actually running leaner here as opposed to the LA dyno graph:

http://img515.imageshack.us/i/methoptimaltunesy2.jpg/

justin shimachu? i tuned his car, so its a custom tune as well. not an off the shelf tune. although, he added the intercooler and has had the car worked on recently so its possibly it has boost leaks.
Justin changed his map recently from yours Kevin.

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Sep 20, 2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2009 | 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrMTB
Boostez, the rule of thumb that I've seen is that dynojet runs about 15% higher than mustang. You are right that you did not quote that number, but you did say it was returning DJ like numbers, so my comment stands.
I disagree with respect to COBBs dyno jet. There is no way that dyno reads that much lower than a dynojet. Every dyno can be calibrated to whatever you want it to read based on an adjustable load.
Old Sep 20, 2009 | 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nikkadanny
i put down 20 more hp than you with like 1000 more mods..and 5 more psi
My EVO8 is making more power than most 8s mod-for-mod. Even the 350whp that I made in CA was pretty high compared to most of the EVO8s (and a lot of 9s). Not trying to boast about my car, it just makes good power.

Also, the 30psi peak is really beyond what the turbo can flow anyway, so I don't expect a lot more power without opening up the stock head or doing engine work.

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Sep 20, 2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2009 | 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

My EVO8 is making more power than most 8s mod-for-mod. Even the 350whp that I made in CA was pretty high compared to most of the EVO8s (and a lot of 9s). Not trying to boast about my car, it just makes good power.

Also, the 30psi peak is really beyond what the turbo can flow anyway, so I don't expect a lot more power without opening up the stock head or doing engine work.
still it should make way more power,
Old Sep 20, 2009 | 07:58 AM
Former Sponsor

I'm not making more power here (according to my dyno numbers.) Also look at the A/F ratios. I'm actually running leaner here as opposed to the LA dyno graph:

http://img515.imageshack.us/i/methoptimaltunesy2.jpg/

Justin changed his map recently from yours Kevin.

assuming dynojets read somewhat high, in california you made 350 on 91 oct gas and meth at 25psi. now you are here running 93oct gas, on a more realistic dyno and made the same power (according to the dyno results). is it remotely possible that you are actually making more power then in california when on 91, but because the mustang dyno reads lower, your better results on the lower reading dyno come out around the same?

also what does your boost curve look like? are you spiking 25psi? or spiking to 29 or so and tapering to 25? some people say their boost by what it ends at. the line shown on all those dyno charts are not the boost i set many of the cars to, so i don't know what to think of it.

justin, no tune support for cars tuned by someone else . p.s. your getting knock midway through your pull. thats the big dip in torque your getting.

danny, it doesn't appear there is anything wrong with your car. the torque numbers are very good (409ftlb), which is 67ftlb more then Boostz. if the boost curve is right (which it doesn't seem like it is), your tapering to 19psi by 7300rpm. thats why your power curve isn't that high at the top end. i think it is safe to say that running around 30psi is beneficial and does make (significantly) more torque/power, and doesn't require headwork. 67ftlb is a giant difference, especially at the 350ftlb level.
Old Sep 20, 2009 | 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
assuming dynojets read somewhat high, in california you made 350 on 91 oct gas and meth at 25psi. now you are here running 93oct gas, on a more realistic dyno and made the same power (according to the dyno results). is it remotely possible that you are actually making more power then in california when on 91, but because the mustang dyno reads lower, your better results on the lower reading dyno come out around the same?
It's possible, but by how much is the mystery. With the little mods I have I can't imagine being anywhere near the 375whp range (dynojet) without cams.

also what does your boost curve look like? are you spiking 25psi?
Yesterday I spiked 26.6psi. It tapered to 22psi.

danny, it doesn't appear there is anything wrong with your car. the torque numbers are very good (409ftlb), which is 67ftlb more then Boostz. if the boost curve is right (which it doesn't seem like it is), your tapering to 19psi by 7300rpm.
I agree with the torque bit. That's enough to run away from my car with an initial hit at 40-50mph. I believe Danny's car is definitely faster than mine.

I have a physics questions for you though. Is it possible that 30psi is producing such a rise in intake temps that its causing a drop in whp (even with the meth)? I understand the taper could lower the whp up top, but I don't see the turbo tapering by itself. What is causing it NOT to hold at the upper rpms? Is it the turbo not able to keep up with the demands of the engine? Or the engine not producing enough exhaust gas energy to make the turbo flow that well in upper rpms?

i think it is safe to say that running around 30psi is beneficial and does make (significantly) more torque/power, and doesn't require headwork.
Let's test this statement Kevin. If you would discount me on a second tune, I will allow you to tune my car with no additional headwork (i.e. cams) and just turn the boost up to 30psi with a 93 octane tune with my car unchanged. I will jump right back on the same dyno and we can see the whp difference and wtq. I'm willing to bet that my whp doesn't go up very much but my torque will.

After that, we can throw the Kelford cams on the car and then retune and throw it back on the dyno. How about it?

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Sep 20, 2009 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: COBB Plano Evo Dyno Day FEELER