Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

I might not be able to drive for a while because I broke it...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Sean, I've set up an appointment.

I agree, it is a funny story sort of - actually kinda lame. I always figured if I broke my foot it would be from doing something with a bit more danger involved. Not just going down the stairs.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch, what a bummer. Has anyone told you how long you'll have to stay off of it?

I also had an ... incident... (ahem) from running down the stairs a few yrs ago, and the Ortho who took care of me said that it happens more than people would expect.

Hope you heal fast.

Last edited by IMPdemon; Sep 15, 2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: .
Old Sep 15, 2009, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IMPdemon
Ouch, what a bummer. Has anyone told you how long you'll have to stay off of it?
Not yet. I'm going to the Ortho on Friday and we'll see what he says.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

its just funny because, i can so picture you doing it.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Breaking anything from your ankles down is terrible. I broke my big toe back in middle school and it sucked. The ol' wood boot, (to keep your toes from bending). I think I wore it for around a month.

I have extra crutches if you need them. Plus I have a cooler ice water pump that pumps ice water through a pad so you don't have to keep using ice packs. Used it when I had all my knee surgeries. Works awesome.

Last edited by JDW1479; Sep 15, 2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks everyone for the support. Mark, I've been getting asked a lot if I broke it from pressing too hard on the gas pedal. Particularly the people I work with.

Thanks for the offers but I already have a set of crutches and everything else I need. Now it's just a matter of time... before it's all right again.

I'ts kind of a "downer" sitting here knowing I won't be able to do anything or go anywhere except sit around for the next month or so. Oh well, at least I have an excuse now to hire someone to do all the yard work!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

you could ride shotgun this wknd if youd like?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Just don't sit around watching Oprah eating Bon Bons, might gain a little weight and throw off your drag racing times.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

I just got back from the doctor an have some "not so great" news.

I have what's called a "Jones fracture". The break is in an area of the bone where the blood flow is lesser than at either end and therefore the healing time is very slow. I was told that, on its own, it could take 2 to 4 months - possibly longer. In some cases, it has been known to take up to 6 months to heal. Freaking insane. I'm thinking about my lonely evo sitting in the garage...

Basically, he said the two options are to let it heal on its own, or to go have surgery where they put a screw into the bone.

So here I am sitting at home with a huge cast from my toes to the bottom of my knee trying to decide if I should go and let them put a screw in my foot. I really wanted to try to get through life without the use of hardware screwed into my bones but seeing as how long it will take on its own, I'm starting to consider it a viable option.

Just thought I would give an update.

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Sep 18, 2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

This not being able to drive stuff sux. So, I decided I was going to learn how to drive with a cast on my foot. So far so good.

I'm using my right foot, which is in the cast, to work the accelerator while my left foot is working the clutch and brake. It's not very smooth trying to modulate the gas pedal with a huge cast on but at least it gets the job done.

So to stop, I first push in the clutch with my left foot, take it out of gear into neutral, then press the brake with my left foot. It's not difficult but I have to start stopping earlier because of the extra step to put clutch in and go to neutral -- before braking.

I don't think I'd be able to autocross like this - heck, I'm not even sure they would let me. But at least I should be able to make it to the Picnic next month.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Update -- I got my cast taken off and I'm now wearing an inflatable boot which is great and way more comfortable. Plus I can take it off to wash my foot which I did for the first time in a month...

Anyway.. I'm ready to get back to autocrossing again which is the best news of all! I've been missing out big time.

Who wants to race??

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Oct 11, 2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: changed not to now
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
not = now? Otherwise I'm confused

How's it looking? Like it's healing ok? Just don't do what I did and rebreak it right after getting out of your cast (ya, my parents were thrilled on that one)!
Old Oct 11, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Right. I meant now - not not. Fixed above.

Oh man believe me, I've been so afraid of re-breaking it. I'm being so super careful not to do anything more than just minimal effort on the foot. I'm wearing the boot as much as possible.

I got it x-rayed again and it looks pretty much the same - with just some "fuzzy" signs of bone growth. As good as it's feeling and seeing as how I was able to walk I was sure the x-ray would look better than it did but no luck.

The doctor said it is healing but it's going to take time. Lots of time. Possibly 4 to 6 months before it's completely healed.