Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Accessport Challenge in Plano!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I agree with Denver on the ECUFlash being the better tuning solution for the EVO, the average person just wants more power (all the other niceties is just icing on the cake). If you can't get more power out of the engine on a ECUFlash (no matter how hard you try) as opposed to some other standalone device, then people will buy what gives them more power.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The AccessPort will not yield more power than ECUFlash, if anything, since ECUFlash is far more adjustable, you'd get less power with the AP.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

i think this is just a wrong place for them to post(are they allowed?),,, ntec is mostly dedicated to Evodynamics.......so with AP making less power even with pro tune...and more expensive. so it means they are crap and just ripping evo drivers money???

Last edited by ak47m203; Nov 18, 2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Kracka and AK47 - while it might be the case that you simply cannot make as much power on an VIII or IX with an AP, I don't think you could make that blanket statement on the Xs. At this moment, if I am correctly informed on the state of EcuFlash, AP for the X can disable the torque limiting tables where EcuFlash cannot. On the X it is more a question of your vehicle and your tuner's ability to tune; when tephra and gunzo are ready to release their works, we'll see how the arms race changes...

As far as the can they post here question goes - they're in North Texas and are a vendor. We other parts of the country should have it so well to have so many competent choices for performance modifications and tuning.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have discontinued the Accessport for the Evo 8 & 9 due to the unique dongle. In this forum, the offer would be for the EVO X. We are confident that our EVO X tuning is the best available, thus the challenge.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
We have discontinued the Accessport for the Evo 8 & 9 due to the unique dongle. In this forum, the offer would be for the EVO X. We are confident that our EVO X tuning is the best available, thus the challenge.
That is a different statement than you made in your original post.
I still disagree..... even with the Torq tables and airflow checks, the Access Port might be a faster tuning option, but I still stand by using the equipment the car came with. There are not may people out there that have the Luxury we have in the evo community, the ability to tune the STOCK ecu directly with free community developed software.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Its the same ****. If the ap has anything that openecu doesnt openecu will develop it. The modability is what makes openecu so great. But plug and play thats where the ap shines I guess.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 03:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Denver - The statement is no different from what we made in the original post. Visiting our website would arm you with the knowledge that we do not offer an AccessPORT for the EVO 8/9. A fact that makes us selling you one as part of this Challenge exceedingly difficult. And I agree, the work performed by John Banks and a few others in the EVO 8/9 community is very impressive. However I would caution you that the EVO X ECU is a completely different beast (different processor, OS, logic, etc) so adding those features to it will entail more than some simply copy/pasting of code.

Other assumptions made are that the AccessPORT is somehow a piggy-back or stand-alone device. In fact, it reflashes the ECU in the same concept that the EcuFlash tools do. The stock ECU is still retained, so we're all in agreement that a properly tuned stock ECU is more than capable for all but the most extreme cases.

All -

The important element of this challenge is not simply the tool used for tuning but also the skill of the person using the tool (ie: the tuner). The argument as to what to use for tuning is often times skewed by placing the focus on the cost of the tool rather than the overall quality of the tune. Quality of tune defined not just in peak power numbers at one particular RPM. but rather the overall driveability, consistency, reliably, responsiveness and of course power.

The process for the challenge we are laying out is simple:
- Bring us your EVO X tuned by any other tool/tuner and agree to buy an AccessPORT
- We'll baseline your current setup on the dyno.
- We'll custom tune your EVO X using our preferred tuning tool (AccessPORT + AccessTUNER software)
- We'll demonstrate for you all the AccessPORT's functions, in addition to flashing a map to the ECU
- You evaluate the DYNO results and drive the car. If you're not satisfied with the results, we uninstall the AccessPORT and reinstall the tune/device you came in with. In this scenario, you don't pay for the AccessPORT or the dyno time.
- If you like the results, you keep the AccessPORT and enjoy the new tune.

So we're ultimately the ones taking on all the risks. If we don't satisfy you, you don't pay for the AccessPORT of dyno time. If you like the result, you simply pay for the AccessPORT. Hardly an attempt to rip off money from any EVO owners.

We are open with what goals we're trying to accomplish, just as we will be with the results by publishing dyno graphs here and on our website. There is a lot of hearsay out there about what the AccessPORT can/can't do, how good we are as tuners, etc. We feel that given an opportunity, we can change that perception. Does that mean we think the AccessPORT is the ONLY solution for EVERY EVO X owner out there? No. What we do think is that it is a good solution for a lot of people that get misled with misinformation, erroneous assumptions, and so forth.

Cheers,
Trey Cobb
Old Nov 18, 2009, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

maybe ecuflash and AP has different types of owner/driver. some likes the AP, some likes ECUflash. this challenge is open to anyone who has already a tune like if your car has a road tune by ecuflash. AP challenge it that they will give you more power if not they will return your money and back you to your previous tune. so the pressure is on AP if denver has 600whp and AP tune and just made 599whp. ecu is way better. im just rediculous in my example.

Last edited by ak47m203; Nov 18, 2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Denver - The statement is no different from what we made in the original post. Visiting our website would arm you with the knowledge that we do not offer an AccessPORT for the EVO 8/9. A fact that makes us selling you one as part of this Challenge exceedingly difficult. And I agree, the work performed by John Banks and a few others in the EVO 8/9 community is very impressive. However I would caution you that the EVO X ECU is a completely different beast (different processor, OS, logic, etc) so adding those features to it will entail more than some simply copy/pasting of code.

Other assumptions made are that the AccessPORT is somehow a piggy-back or stand-alone device. In fact, it reflashes the ECU in the same concept that the EcuFlash tools do. The stock ECU is still retained, so we're all in agreement that a properly tuned stock ECU is more than capable for all but the most extreme cases.
Sorry, but your post, and the "challenge" in this thread mentions nothing about EVOX, you blatantly say "AccessPORT is superior to all other tuning solutions." <- FALSE STATEMENT.
Again I am very passionate about ECUFLASH and the effort put into the development of the stock ECU tuning abilities. I understand the differences in the hardware, code etc for 8/9 the X, the X is CAN based, but I also have seen how fast the development and support has grown for the X, and I am 100% confident that in short time the capabilities of ecuflash with far surpass your product. I do not have a X, or I would almost be interested in taking the challenge.

I guess Ill leave it as, good luck, and enjoy the X market you gain for now.
Those who take the challenge, I hope it works out for you and you get what you want.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:16 PM

TIME OUT

Denver - Custom tunes went up 50? Thats unacceptable. Just because ED has a monopoly on the Evo's DFW doesnt mean you should charge up the wazoo. Just sayin'. If a custom tune is 300 and 200 for returning customers, thats 500 already spent on a retune. Any further retunes wouldnt be cost effective after that and the AP seems more appealing.

While I'm not saying AP is superior in anyway, it doesnt mean I wont have Richard tune my car again. He's good at what he does but raising the prices is crazy.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

they have been raised for a while....and that is still cheap for a custom tune....
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ivanxchvz
TIME OUT

Denver - Custom tunes went up 50? Thats unacceptable. Just because ED has a monopoly on the Evo's DFW doesnt mean you should charge up the wazoo. Just sayin'. If a custom tune is 300 and 200 for returning customers, thats 500 already spent on a retune. Any further retunes wouldnt be cost effective after that and the AP seems more appealing.

While I'm not saying AP is superior in anyway, it doesnt mean I wont have Richard tune my car again. He's good at what he does but raising the prices is crazy.
Dude Ivan homie. Look around at what everyone is charging. Evods prices are not outrageous, you get what you pay for, you also get the support that you know will always be there when you need it. Theres a reason they have the market covered, their damn good.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

ED's prices on custom tuning are certainly in line with the market, and, to be completely honest, more in line with what you should be paying for the expertise and time of the individuals who will be working on your vehicle. I think a custom AP tune at Cobb Plano would be in line with those numbers when you also factor in the dyno.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ivanxchvz
TIME OUT

You do realize you have to pay for tuning with the AP too, right? You get one base map included, then have to buy others, and then pay even more if you want an actual custom dyno tune. With your logic you'll be able to get 3 ECUFlash tunes for the price of the AP with a base map; how is that not cost-effective?

Quick Reply: Accessport Challenge in Plano!