Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Accessport Challenge in Plano!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
You do realize you have to pay for tuning with the AP too, right? You get one base map included, then have to buy others, and then pay even more if you want an actual custom dyno tune. With your logic you'll be able to get 3 ECUFlash tunes for the price of the AP with a base map; how is that not cost-effective?
Not exactly true, they have a library of tunes available for free (stage 1, stage 2 with all different mod combos). I do still agree that a Cobb AP + Tune will be more expensive than an openecu, but I'll pay that price to avoid having my car impounded when KevinD is driving 100+ on public roads to get a tune right. Plus ATR software is free, so I can tune myself on my AP. To each their own, but this challenge seems like a decent idea. Whats the risk in it, other than getting a *potentially* better tune?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Just get a custom ECUFlash dyno tune. Kevin, you really need to get an AWD dyno! The thing I like about dyno-tuning is that its a much more controlled and safer environment.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:33 AM
Former Sponsor

i've been talking with mustang this week. i have a price, the forms for finacing one, shipping costs, and accessory prices. i'm waiting to pull the trigger until i know where i'll be working out of (looking at buying/building a shop, not leasing). also, i'm trying to get another lift, corner balancing scales, alignment stuff, and some machining equipment. the dyno can obviously be moved from one shop to another, but its expensive to move and i don't want to move it again if i have a better place in 4 months.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

so what do sean ivey used. i know he can tune using AP too.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
i've been talking with mustang this week. i have a price, the forms for finacing one, shipping costs, and accessory prices. i'm waiting to pull the trigger until i know where i'll be working out of (looking at buying/building a shop, not leasing). also, i'm trying to get another lift, corner balancing scales, alignment stuff, and some machining equipment. the dyno can obviously be moved from one shop to another, but its expensive to move and i don't want to move it again if i have a better place in 4 months.
excited.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
This all sounds awesome to me
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:28 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Denver - The statement is no different from what we made in the original post. Visiting our website would arm you with the knowledge that we do not offer an AccessPORT for the EVO 8/9. A fact that makes us selling you one as part of this Challenge exceedingly difficult. And I agree, the work performed by John Banks and a few others in the EVO 8/9 community is very impressive. However I would caution you that the EVO X ECU is a completely different beast (different processor, OS, logic, etc) so adding those features to it will entail more than some simply copy/pasting of code.

Other assumptions made are that the AccessPORT is somehow a piggy-back or stand-alone device. In fact, it reflashes the ECU in the same concept that the EcuFlash tools do. The stock ECU is still retained, so we're all in agreement that a properly tuned stock ECU is more than capable for all but the most extreme cases.

All -

The important element of this challenge is not simply the tool used for tuning but also the skill of the person using the tool (ie: the tuner). The argument as to what to use for tuning is often times skewed by placing the focus on the cost of the tool rather than the overall quality of the tune. Quality of tune defined not just in peak power numbers at one particular RPM. but rather the overall driveability, consistency, reliably, responsiveness and of course power.

The process for the challenge we are laying out is simple:
- Bring us your EVO X tuned by any other tool/tuner and agree to buy an AccessPORT
- We'll baseline your current setup on the dyno.
- We'll custom tune your EVO X using our preferred tuning tool (AccessPORT + AccessTUNER software)
- We'll demonstrate for you all the AccessPORT's functions, in addition to flashing a map to the ECU
- You evaluate the DYNO results and drive the car. If you're not satisfied with the results, we uninstall the AccessPORT and reinstall the tune/device you came in with. In this scenario, you don't pay for the AccessPORT or the dyno time.
- If you like the results, you keep the AccessPORT and enjoy the new tune.

So we're ultimately the ones taking on all the risks. If we don't satisfy you, you don't pay for the AccessPORT of dyno time. If you like the result, you simply pay for the AccessPORT. Hardly an attempt to rip off money from any EVO owners.

We are open with what goals we're trying to accomplish, just as we will be with the results by publishing dyno graphs here and on our website. There is a lot of hearsay out there about what the AccessPORT can/can't do, how good we are as tuners, etc. We feel that given an opportunity, we can change that perception. Does that mean we think the AccessPORT is the ONLY solution for EVERY EVO X owner out there? No. What we do think is that it is a good solution for a lot of people that get misled with misinformation, erroneous assumptions, and so forth.

Cheers,
Trey Cobb
Sounds more like a tuner challenge than a equipment challenge.

Both are good tools and both are currently capable of the same quality end product. If both are used by the same operator, the end product will be the same.

- Bryan

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Nov 19, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 02:48 PM
Former Sponsor

I am starting to use the AP more and more. I love the things.

Cobb hit a home run with the AP.

Sean
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sales@IveyTune
I am starting to use the AP more and more. I love the things.

Cobb hit a home run with the AP.

Sean
i hope you visit cobb plano one time.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 04:52 PM

While I dont know what all is going down inside of ED, sounds to me with a potential purchase of a Dyno that they are doing pretty well.

I guess its just me then. While I will have Richard do my future tunes, I dont see the logic in the price hike, especially if the Evo owners in the area rely on them.

Even at 250 I expected to have the excellent customer service and knowledgibility of my tuners. I guess Im the only one concerned about it. I just feel like im being milked, but thats just me. Not trying to bash or anything just expressing my thoughts.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

So buy your own logging sofware, cable, and the monitoring sensors and start learning to do it yourself and stop complaining
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ivanxchvz
While I dont know what all is going down inside of ED, sounds to me with a potential purchase of a Dyno that they are doing pretty well.

I guess its just me then. While I will have Richard do my future tunes, I dont see the logic in the price hike, especially if the Evo owners in the area rely on them.

Even at 250 I expected to have the excellent customer service and knowledgibility of my tuners. I guess Im the only one concerned about it. I just feel like im being milked, but thats just me. Not trying to bash or anything just expressing my thoughts.
dont mod your car plain and simple you wont need a retune.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:50 PM

I guess when youre right, youre right. Like I said, prices will steadily increase and I would be the only one concerned but everyone in here will gladly pay it.

Again, much thanks to Richard. He's the man when it comes to tuning the x's.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Message to those wanting to utilize COBB. This statment is about the home plant in SLC Utah. I can't speak for Plano, but I can speak for the COBB here. There customer service for custom tuning is crap. I have spoke with there scheduler 5 times, 5 times been on the schedule, and then never called to finalize the appointment. 5 times they have left me in the cold. So as far as I am concerned, utilize there product for what it is. In the beginning stages of mild bolt-on's the AP works. Stage 1 and Stage 2 are easy bolt on's. Your going to do it anyway. As to after that, ECUFlash for the win. Cobb is entry level to the power of ECUFlash. Bar none, by as a temporary solution, if you can find em cheap...
Old Nov 20, 2009, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

I've been to both ED and Cobb Plano now. I was happy with both places. Richard at ED responds faster and remembers who I am, but other than that both are viable places to get a tune. My car ran completely code free with Cobb pre Turbo and Cam mods making 340whp when initially tuned with. Car was completely smooth for a year on that tune. My car now tends to throw more codes, which I expected that with the CAMs and Turbo upgrade on my X. It is also running pretty rich now and not quite as smooth, which I am not 100 percent happy with since now to get it fixed I have to drive down to get the tuned adjusted from OKC for another 200. At first I thought it was the new fuel relay, but I put the other back in and it was the same. I truly like both places giving a definite nod to ED for Customer Service side of things, which was why I made the initial switch to ED. I do not think you can go to wrong on the technical side of things for either one. Calvin at Cobb appears to have a great knowledge on how to tune the X, and they do have the advantage to having a dyno for the time being. With my car they followed up the dyno tune with some road testing to get things just right so I was happy. I am not for Ecuflash or AP really, both flash the Ecu, both change the same parameter currently, both make around same power(tuner dependent). I see no problem with Cobb throwing out this challenge. IMO they are putting their money were their mouth is, and that is what it is all about. Plus, I like some healthy competition. Its just up to the other shops in the competing areas to prove them wrong. Nothing wrong with that.I'm considering taking this challenge as Im not completely satisfied with my tune now like I was before adding the cam and turbo. If there is no improvement I have no problem saying there was or was not. I just havent decided if I want to fork out 695 for AP again.

Last edited by dcasandman; Nov 20, 2009 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Accessport Challenge in Plano!