North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Looking for a place to power coat rims

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a place to power coat rims

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a place that does good work on powder coating. My sister is wanting my Evo X Enkei's but would like them in a glossy finish black for her PB Lancer. I did a Google search and found Custom Power Coating near 183 & Regal Row. I live in Irving so that's pretty close. If anyone knows of a good place that's not too far away from Irving, please let me know.

As far as getting rims done, is powder coating the way to go? Is there a better process/method to get them done? I really have no idea on this sort of thing, but I've seen "powder coating" get thrown around all the time, so that's why that's my first inclination.

Thanks ahead of time for any info and advice!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Regular powdercoating can be very dangerous to wheels by weakening them and causing them to crack and break in the future. Painting them is obviously a safer idea, but if you do go the powdercoat route make sure you get the special low-temp powder made for wheels.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Kevin had my valve cover done at extreme I think it is, and I'm having some wheels done there, they do really good work.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Regular powdercoating can be very dangerous to wheels by weakening them and causing them to crack and break in the future. Painting them is obviously a safer idea, but if you do go the powdercoat route make sure you get the special low-temp powder made for wheels.
Thanks for the advice Kracka. So what kind of paint are we talking about here? I've seen some guys spray paint their wheels and they turn out good, but I'm not too keen on using spray paint...because it's spray paint, hehe.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by K1tt3n5
Kevin had my valve cover done at extreme I think it is, and I'm having some wheels done there, they do really good work.
What's the name of the shop, K1tt3n5? I'm not familiar when any of the places in the DFW area so looking up "extreme" is going to yield many results all over the place I'm sure.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rmondoh
What's the name of the shop, K1tt3n5? I'm not familiar when any of the places in the DFW area so looking up "extreme" is going to yield many results all over the place I'm sure.
Extreme powderocating, pm kevind on here for more info. There is also ace powdercoating in garland by triwerks/ kustomz they do some good work. I've just never had them do anything for me.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the advice Kracka. So what kind of paint are we talking about here? I've seen some guys spray paint their wheels and they turn out good, but I'm not too keen on using spray paint...because it's spray paint, hehe.
I've seen some wheels done professionally that turned out great and others that people have done at home with Dupont Duplicolor spray paint and clearcoat that turned out awesome. They key to spray paint is to properly prep the surface and doing many light coats and then multiple coats of clear over the top.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Cool. Thanks for the info Kracka and K1tt3n5!

Also, congrats on your new title Kracka! I'm still relatively new to the club and haven't met anyone or gone to events yet, but hopefully that will change.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

I second xtream powder coating. I have been using them since they opened for work and personal stuff. They have always done a good job, even going the extra mile and redoing stuff that they felt was not perfect.

Great place for powder coating and great prices!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're going to paint them yourself, prep is key. I painted my stock Scion tC wheels and they came out really good. It took about a week to do though (I had a spare set of wheels).

Wash really well, scuff the surface, fix any imperfections, scuff again, clean again, spray a couple coats of primer, then 3-4 light coats of paint, then a couple light coats of gloss and they looked excellent.

Powdercoating will likely cost more than the wheels are worth.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a place to power coat rims-dsc03661_sm.jpg   Looking for a place to power coat rims-dsc03665_sm.jpg  
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Cool. Thanks for the info Kracka and K1tt3n5!

Also, congrats on your new title Kracka! I'm still relatively new to the club and haven't met anyone or gone to events yet, but hopefully that will change.
Thanks! Watch for upcoming events, I hope to get something together fairly soon. The more new faces the better.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, much appreciated. I'll run this by my dad and sister as spray painting them sounds like something my dad can easily do as he's done some painting himself back in the day.