Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Filling Up 93 Octane - Be Careful

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Filling Up 93 Octane - Be Careful

I went out at lunch to get some gas from the same Shell station I always use near my house and it was the typical routine, I grab the pump and press 93 and the screen changes to 93, so I begin pumping. Right after that I am looking at the pump and it says $2.35 per gallon, I was like that is too cheap, then look down and the pump changed over to 87 and didn't say **** about it! I got 3 gallons in before I realized it and shut it off and grabbed the receipt and went inside to let them know something is messed up, so of course they blame me. So they take a car out there and sure enough, they begin pumping and it switches over to 87 again!

I go to another pump 2 or 3 rows over and try to figure out what is up, apparently with these pumps when you press the 93 and it doesn't detect that you pressed 93, the pump defaults to 87 thinking no selection was made. So the moral of the story is make sure to check the price and the receipt to make sure you are getting what you think. It is a good thing I check before, during, and after, as well as verifying the receipt.

I went out and stayed out of boost on the highway and burned it all out and went to another station and filled up with REAL 93 this time and all is well.

Just keep an eye out fellas...I am sure with some of the tunes out there, that ripping on 87 would most likely make you a sad panda.

Last edited by SiliconTek; Sep 8, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

This is why I never liked it when stations went to a one hose dispenser setup. I'll definitely keep this in mind the next time I fill up.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 237 Likes on 213 Posts
2.35 for regular not bad! 2.79 over in il
Old Sep 8, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I don't like those 1 hose things. I had something like that happen to me once.

Also, I always wonder, how much 93 do you need to pump before you start getting 93 and the remnants of the previous user's 87 is gone from the hose?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
if your tune is so sensitive that the hose worth of 87 makes your engine self ventilate then your tuner did you a disservice.

If any knock happens, the ECU should retard timing (and boost) in order to protect the engine... unless you've got an MBC cranked down and the timing tables cocked up.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 08:04 PM

i manage a quiktrip so i see this a lot and most of the time its by people not paying attention and going to fast. there is a set of directions on the screen for a reason yet people still feel the need to make up their own order. do not select your grade of gas until you remove the nozzle from the holster. most pumps at most gas stations default to 87 anytime the trigger from the holster is switched. make sure that you see the 93 or whatever you want to use lit up. sometimes though pumps do break, their made by gilbraco not NASA **** breaks, be understanding.

as far as the gas in the hose very rarely will you see any fuel left in the line. gas pumps work on a reverse pressure system for epa regulations. that boot on the end is a vapor recovery. after the pressure is enough to stop the flow of fuel into your car it basically turns into a vacuum and sucks all the vapors and remaining fuel from the line into the sump. for this reason also do not top off your car. 99 percent of the time the extra fuel u think u are putting in your tank to get a round number is going back out the vapor recovery and will not get in your tank.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2.35 for 87? That's crazy....I'm paying 1.97 for e85 lol
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

thats such a scam i would be pissed
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05VIII
2.35 for 87? That's crazy....I'm paying 1.97 for e85 lol
Where are you finding e85 for $1.97?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Plano/frisco kroger off 121/coit rd.
Just filled up 2 days ago for that price! Love paying 22ish dollars to fill up
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05VIII
Plano/frisco kroger off 121/coit rd.
Just filled up 2 days ago for that price! Love paying 22ish dollars to fill up
I just feeled up there last week and its more like E80
Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

It's actually 1.93 not 1.97. E80 hu? Sounds good enough for me...my car still loves it at 30psi
Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

I think they already switched to fall blend class 2..
only 1psi reduction on my boost, so its still fine.
Winter class 3 should be around the corner and i am not looking forward to it.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Dont think, because you get e85 for less per gallon then 93 octane, then its a better deal.

Number 1 you need a tune for it.
Number 2 you need to understand your fuel economy goes down with e85 over 93 so your price per mile changes.
Number 3 e85 can vary so widely it could be e70 and if you have an e85 tune you are leaning your motor out on e70.

I have cut and paste a section from wikipedia to stress this.

Because ethanol contains less energy than gasoline, fuel economy is reduced for most 2002 and earlier American FFVs (flexible-fuel vehicles) that are currently on the road by about 30% (most after 2003 lose only 15-17%, or less) when operated on pure E85 (summer blend). Some of the newest American vehicles can lessen this reduction to only 5-15%, but as recently as 2007 the Environmental Protection Agency stated on its website that several of the most current American FFVs were still losing 25-30% fuel efficiency when running on E85. Some Swedish engineered cars with engine management systems provide much better fuel economy on E85 than on gasoline; for example, the Saab Aero-X turbocharged concept car produces higher fuel economy and higher power on 100% ethanol (E100) than gasoline through using a higher compression ratio engine with advanced SAAB engine control computers. Another car that has higher power on ethanol is the Koenigsegg CCXR, which on ethanol is the second most powerful production car with 1020 hp. This according to the manufacturer is due to the cooling properties of ethanol. Still, for almost all American-made FFVs, more E85 is typically needed to do the same work as can be achieved with a lesser volume of gasoline. This difference is sometimes offset by the lower cost of the E85 fuel, depending on E85's current price discount relative to the current price of gasoline. As described earlier, the best thing for drivers to do is to record fuel usage with both fuels and calculate cost/distance for them. Only by doing that, can the end-user economy of the two fuels be compared.

Bottom line? if 93 was even $3 and e85 was $2 your saving 33% but you lose 30% or more in fuel economy. So dont be fooled thinking yout saving. If your buying e85 for the power then thats a different story altogether.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

thankfully our blend here doesn't change much, even in the winter.

also, if the blend goes down in ethanol content, your mixture becomes richer, not leaner.

Last edited by KevinD; Sep 9, 2010 at 08:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Filling Up 93 Octane - Be Careful