Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Front License Plates

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front License Plates

I'm not sure if anyone else has heard, but they passed a new law yesterday stating that the front license plate needs to be mounted on the front most part of your vehicle... i.e. front bumper not dashboard

Since it just passed yesterday, I'm not sure how strict the cops are gonna be on it, I don't imagine they'll write a ticket for it for at least a couple of weeks, but who knows.

So I just thought I'd give ya'll a heads up that the law is now specific as to the issue regarding front license plates.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Someone should be an ******* about it and put a 10 foot pole on their car with the licenseplate on that 10 foot in front of their car.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Haven't run a front plate since 2001 and don't plan to start now
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Dammit. I got pulled over all the time for no front plate so I put it in the dash. Haven't had trouble since, but I'm sure that will change. I guess it is time to fabricate something so that I don't have to drill holes in the bumper.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dyezak
Someone should be an ******* about it and put a 10 foot pole on their car with the licenseplate on that 10 foot in front of their car.
Do it on the front and back! Cruise around town with 28ft of goodness!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

From another forum...

The Texas Transportation code has always stated that license plates must be on the "front" of the vehicle, but Texas' highest appeals court has established a case law that now requires the front license plate to be mounted to the absolute front-most portion of the exterior of the vehicle.

That means the police now have legal probable cause to stop your vehicle if the plate is inside the windshield, sunken back into the grille, etc...

The law in questions is Texas Transportation code 502.404 -

Sec. 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA. (a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle...

The case law that establishes the new rule was decided today (Wednesday 9/15/2010) and there is no "grace period", so be aware and be warned.

Related story:

HOUSTON (AP) ―

Texas drivers must display license plates on the front bumpers of their vehicles, the state's top criminal court ruled Wednesday while upholding the conviction of a man sent to prison for 60 years on a drug charge.

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals in a split decision Wednesday said it's not good enough to just have a plate displayed somewhere else toward the front of the car or truck, like inside the front windshield.

The case involves a man pulled over in Lubbock four years ago because his plate was wedged between the dashboard and the windshield. An officer subsequently found Tawin Spence had about a half-pound of cocaine stuffed in his pants.

Spence appealed, saying his plate clearly was visible, that he shouldn't have been stopped and that the drug evidence used to convict him of possession with intent to deliver cocaine was obtained improperly.

The ruling resolves conflicting opinions from lower state courts.

An appeals court in Austin held the Texas Transportation Code didn't require a plate on the front bumper.

An Amarillo appeals court looked at the code and said the plate must be displayed "where the car begins ... the foremost area of the car."

The Court of Criminal Appeals, agreeing with the Amarillo court, took that to most commonly mean the front bumper.

"'Front' means the foremost part or beginning of a vehicle, not in the front half, or in the front portion," Judge Cathy Cochran said in her majority opinion. "This meaning of 'front' as a location is not ambiguous and does not lead to an absurd result.

"While the Transportation Code does not explicitly define 'front,' common usage and definitions of the word provide ample support for this construction."

Two of the court's nine judges disagreed. Judge Lawrence Meyers, joined by Judge Barbara Hervey, said he'd "construe front and rear to mean any surface facing that direction."

"Using the majority's logic, the rear of the vehicle would be the back bumper," Meyers wrote. "But as we all know, 90 percent of all vehicles do not display the license plate on the back bumper, they are usually on the tailgate or trunk."

Referring to the Transportation Code, Meyers wrote: "The only thing about this statute that is clear is that it is not well written."

Spence, 29, had a previous drug conviction and was on parole less than four months when he was busted Sept. 23, 2006, outside what police said was a known drug house in Lubbock.

His car, a Chevrolet Impala, was described in court documents as having blue sparkle paint, white racing stripes and large wheels. The spot on the bumper where a license plate normally would go instead had a decorative silver chrome plate.

Spence testified at his trial the Texas license plate was "all the way up in the front of the front windshield" and visible from the street.

The officer who made the stop testified that even before he could explain the reason for the stop, Spence said he'd been given a ticket earlier for the same license plate violation.

Spence also had no driver's license, prompting the officer to frisk him and discover the drugs and about $1,400 in cash.

Prison records show Spence got 10 years in prison for cocaine possession in 2001 and was paroled five years later. Conviction on the cocaine charge stemming from the license plate stop in 2006 got him 60 years. He's at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Hughes Unit in Gatesville and becomes eligible for parole consideration in 2013
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

If they want to get all **** about license plates then they need to figure out a way to make them stick on... I would gladly put one on then without question.

The fact that it cannot even be on the grill on an Evo X because it is not the front most of the vehicle is absurd. Technically, since our plate mounts from the factory are not the "front most" of the vehicle, where would we put it!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like the TX law is now the same as the MN law regarding front plates. Any OEM mounting bracket/solution will qualify. Basically, they just want it on the bumper rather than in the windshield.

Regarding MN law, a cop once told me "out of sight, out of mind" meaning that if you're not going to have the front plate mounted legally you're better off just not having it at all rather than mounted illegally.

I'm really not too worried about it down here though, compared to MN the traffic cops are so much more relaxed.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I got a ticket for no front plate in pantego. I have been pulled over three times for no front plate. Two of those times I got a warning, but leave it to pantego to write it up lol.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

I have heard from numerous people that the PD will currently pull you over without question for not having a plate or having it mounted inside the car. I will find the post made by the officer on the police forums...brb.

Last edited by SiliconTek; Sep 16, 2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Civilian SingleTurboRx7
I got arrested for no front plate in farmers branch, on a sunday afternoon. but it was later dismissed, so I spent a day in jail for nothing
Originally Posted by Officer Carl from forums.officer.com
And there are a ton of people that get stopped for that also. Come NB on IH-45 or 35E without a front license plate.

I will be glad to introduce myself
I found out that IF you do get a ticket, all you have to do is show up at the court house, loosely ziptie a plate to your mesh, walk in and tell them you put a plate on, pay your $10 admin fee, walk out and cut the ziptie and remove the plate.

My coworker and his daughter both recently got pulled over for not having plates and they both did this and it worked! And get this the dad got pulled over for doing 80mph in a 60mph zone and they gave him a verbal for speeding and a citation for the missing license plate...That makes no sense at all to me!

Last edited by SiliconTek; Sep 16, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiliconTek
I found out that IF you do get a ticket, all you have to do is show up at the court house, loosely ziptie a plate to your mesh, walk in have and tell them you put a plate on, pay your $10 admin fee, walk out and cut the ziptie and remove the plate.
Double-sided tape was always my weapon of choice
Old Sep 16, 2010, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Double-sided tape was always my weapon of choice
I did have my on the windshield but after rethinking about it, its kinda dangerous having it there. so earlier this week i put my plates back on the 9 bumper n oem plate holder with super heavy duty 3m tape not like the one i had before that kept fallin' off when it reach 105 here in TX, and to be honest it doesnt look that bad on the 9. Plus i dont want to spend 10-15 min sitting on the side of the highway while i have other things to do plus the time to go to court and the fee like mention above.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ElectrIX Blue
I did have my on the windshield but after rethinking about it, its kinda dangerous having it there. so earlier this week i put my plates back on the 9 bumper n oem plate holder with super heavy duty 3m tape not like the one i had before that kept fallin' off when it reach 105 here in TX, and to be honest it doesnt look that bad on the 9. Plus i dont want to spend 10-15 min sitting on the side of the highway while i have other things to do plus the time to go to court and the fee like mention above.
I cannot get that red 3M tape to stick to my car anywhere. I tried doing that with the OEM plate mount but it didn't stick at all. Even after cleaning it with alcohol (the rubbing kind).
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SiliconTek
I cannot get that red 3M tape to stick to my car anywhere. I tried doing that with the OEM plate mount but it didn't stick at all. Even after cleaning it with alcohol (the rubbing kind).
What i did is was
1.wash the car
2.clayed barred
3.clean it with alcohol, also clean the mounting point of the plate holder

Yeah i had the same thing happen with crappy double-sided tape. so i bought the super heavy duty 3m from Lowes, well thats was the only place were i could find it in my area. Four days sitting in the tx heat and no sign of the adhesive fallin out.

Quick Reply: Front License Plates