Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Car Test Day (Motor Trend style)!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Test Day (Motor Trend style)!

All of us modify our car, and most of us modify our cars trying to get more performance out of them. And other than an occasional visit to a 1/4mi track how are we measuring the improvements to the performance? Where do you go to measure your car’s performance? Some of us autocross, but each week the course changes and this measurement is not valid. I can’t tell if my car handles better than a 2011 M3 based on autocross results where no 2011 M3’s competed. Some of us do track days; however that too is not an industry standard measurement you can use to compare your car to other cars. 1/4mi works, and we have a dyno day coming up…that works.

What I am wanting to do is organize a “Car Test” day. I want to get industry tests together in one spot and run our cars through the tests. Some of the tests that would be nice:

· Slaloum
· Skid Pad
· Acceleration data
o 0-30
o 0-40
o 0-50
o 0-60
o 0-70
o 0-80
o 0-90
o 0-100
· Passing 45-65
· Braking 60-0
· Motor Trend Figure 8

I was thinking if we could find a place to do this we could spend a Saturday doing the tests above. Give everyone 5-6 tries to get their best times on each test. Then if you wanted you could do 1/4mi test and tune the following day to get 1/4mi results, and logging via EvoScan we could run the logs through DynoLogLab to get dyno plots.

Then you would know how your modifications have effected your car. Did that big turbo make you faster on the 1/4mi but leave your passing times in a lurch? Did those new huge wheels and tires improve your grip but slow your car down in acceleration?

You could also empirically compare your car to others with industry standard test results. We could take it farther and put this on once a quarter, so you could see how your car progresses too. And why does it have to be just Evo’s? I see other people who would want to do this too.

Anyhow, if there is an interest I guess I can move past day-dreaming and see what would have to be done to pull this off.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

While I applaud your idea, I'm going to be the first downer. This sounds really good in conversation, but the logistics are horrible. And most of it is the driver's skill, not the car's ability.

The only activity that you have listed that could be done legally on the street is the passing 45-60 test. Everything else would have to be on a closed course and I can't think of anywhere around DFW to do that.

Besides, most people around here are only interested in dyno numbers or aesthetics. I bet most people have never done a real launch, much less be able to actually pull it off.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mineral Wells... you can set up an 1/8th track.

0-100 is tough since you need so much to slow down...

Talk to David that does the Texas Time Trials and I bet he can get you setup with renting it.

Closer in you could rent Pennington, but obviously you're limited on space there. David likely can help you with site rental as well.

Ask about insurance......
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

I know of some abandoned municipal airports in some of the old small railroad towns down by Waco FYI. I'm sure there are one or two places like that up here near DFW. It's public property, but not a road, no traffic, no planes, just cement and rabbits. Heck, a guy in Prarie View TX bought his abandoned municipal airport and made a track out of it. If you are ever down that way you should check it out. He leases the land to a corn farmer...so in the middle of a corn field there is an abandoned runway that has timing lights. And you race through a corn field!
Old Sep 23, 2010, 03:00 PM
Former Sponsor

awsome idea!

however as todd said, you need a impartial driving machine. the STIG!!!!! in all seriousness, you would need a professional driver or someone who knows how to drive the car at the limit to give you useable results. if you were just doing it for fun that would be different. maybe have the stig do a lap or two, then have the owner try to best it?

most of your acceleration values can be done at a drag strip. the skid pad can be done at motorsport ranch. braking from 60 could be done in a reasonable space....
Old Sep 23, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds good. C/D and Motor Trend have a few drivers and average times and results.

Some say he’s wanted by the CIA, and that his crash helmet is modelled on Britney Spears’ head...All new know is that he's not The Stig - he's The Stig's fat American cousin from the North.

Also come in winter version:

Last edited by Smike; Sep 26, 2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
awsome idea!

however as todd said, you need a impartial driving machine. the STIG!!!!! in all seriousness, you would need a professional driver or someone who knows how to drive the car at the limit to give you useable results. if you were just doing it for fun that would be different. maybe have the stig do a lap or two, then have the owner try to best it?

most of your acceleration values can be done at a drag strip. the skid pad can be done at motorsport ranch. braking from 60 could be done in a reasonable space....
You know, the more I think about it the more I think that it would be better to NOT have a pro/impartial driving machine. You want to know what YOUR car can do, with YOU behind the wheel. Heck, they say the #1 mod is fixing the nut behind the wheel, so why shouldn't that be part of the picture? I'm actually more for it being *my* car with *me* driving.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe we could get an SCCA region to sponsor this for us (but only for us). That way we will have a legal bodies approval.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.gtechprostore.com/cgi-bin...ion&key=020240

I have one of these. It is VERY accurate and just uses a cigarette plug. you can move it from car to car with and test EXACTLY what Derek is looking for. I think this is a great idea.

I also know of the perfect place within the my city to use it.... as I have done it myself. We could all meet up and make a Sat or Sun morning out of it.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 06:03 AM

Sign me up! I've talked to Mark and Don in the past, about setting this up, and finally gave up for lack of a location. Can you describe yours?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

SmikeEvo Edit -- yeah, no. Must be sanctioned and have permits. Kthxbi.

Last edited by Smike; Oct 1, 2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

This does sound like a fun event! I didn't get to read Supra's comment, but based on Smike's edit, I don't think we can discuss it here. We could certainly set up a meeting with all the interested parties to discuss how we can organize this. I'm sure Kevin or Don will let us use their place as a planning locale.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
This does sound like a fun event! I didn't get to read Supra's comment, but based on Smike's edit, I don't think we can discuss it here. We could certainly set up a meeting with all the interested parties to discuss how we can organize this. I'm sure Kevin or Don will let us use their place as a planning locale.
Actually, I've thought about this a bit more, we would need a club to host this (SCCA, Porsche Club, NASA, etc), a location (TWS Bus Lot, A&M Riverside Campus, Cresson, etc), and insurance ($$$).

Based on the types of people I see interested in this I think approaching the Porsche club would yield the best results.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 09:36 AM

Sounds like a fun event!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
Nonsense. Unless you WANT to be arrested. Hey, if thats your bag...

Quick Reply: Car Test Day (Motor Trend style)!