Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas
View Poll Results: Where would you like to see MAP Texas based out of?
Houston
10.42%
San Antonio
11.11%
Dallas
52.78%
Austin
19.44%
Other
6.25%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Potential Second Location for MAP...NTEC Style ;)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a feeling this poll is going to get over run by NTEC haha...might as well start looking for space in the dfw
Old Oct 23, 2010, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisCarey

1) Weather: Essentially we want to be somewhere that we can operate year round. I really like the average high temps in your area as its above 60 even in January! My only concern in this regard would be hurricanes, I know Houston isn't North Texas but if we decide on Houston would that be far enough away from the coast that I shouldn't be worrying about Hurricanes?
Houston is susceptible to hurricanes, but honestly I'd not be too worried about that as you get ample warning. If you're on the north side of Houston (think the Woodlands, it's not that big a deal). I think the climate in San Antonio and Austin is better than Dallas (milder summers and winters), and Houston is miserable in the summer (high humidity and heat).

2) Competition: The focus of this endeavor will be based on service and dyno. From what I have heard the only AWD dyno in the area is Cobb in Plano, is that correct? What is out there in regards to service shops that cater to the Evolution?
I think that Dallas, for the Evo scene is well represented (as you've seen). Houston and Austin/San Antonio aren't. Houston and San Antonio also would draw clients from West Texas (oil money) and south Texas (aka "The Valley"). In Austin, the only speed shop I know of is Soul Speed (not evo specific). In Fort Worth, there's also PTP (not evo specific).

3) Population: You guys have four of the largest cities in the US within a few hours of each other; Houston, San Antonio, Dalls, and Austin. What insight can you provide me in regards to the demographics of those populations, where are all the Evo owners? Keep in mind we do work on other makes and models as well
Within 8 hours of Houston you've also got the major cities in Louisiana (New Orleans, Baton Rouge). There are Evo owners everywhere honestly.

4) Cost of Living: Is one area cheaper than another? I would assume that moving away from the major cities would yield cheaper rent, but would this be detrimental in regards to potential work?
Cost of living is slightly higher in Austin than the others. San Antonio is slightly lower than the other two in my research. This is for residential. I'm not sure on commercial.

Other things to consider... motorsports.

In Dallas we have 2 road courses (MSR, Eagles Canyon), Texas Motor Speedway, 1 1/8th mile track (plus 1 1/8th mile in TMS), 3 1/4 mile tracks, 5 active autocross clubs (SCCA, ER, NTAXS, PCA, BMW CCA). Within 4-5 hours we have 4 more road courses (TWS, MSR-Houston, Hallett, Harris Hill Road). Also on this note, there's a strong NASA series (http://www.nasatxracing.com/). ECR has basically monthly $150 track days. Hallett has monthly cheap track weekends (COMMA). The Chrono-X series @ HHR is starting up now too. Lots of track opportunity.

Austin has a very different feel (more liberal) than other cities in Texas. San Antonio is more laid back. San Antonio and Austin are closer to the Hill Country which make for great drives. They and Houston are reasonably close to what passes for a beach in Texas. Houston is closer to the nice beaches in the panhandle of Florida. Cruise ships leave from the Houston port.

Last edited by goofygrin; Oct 23, 2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 08:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and austin is going to have the new F1 track too
Old Oct 23, 2010, 08:41 PM

i would so much rather buy parts that are in stock Dfw is a great location
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

I had originally posted on your Facebook page saying "Hey come to Irving!" because I know you guys are great and I posted that half joking because why would a shop just decide to open another shop up...and now some weeks later we get this thread. I know this has probably been in the works for some time, but it still feels cool nonetheless. This is VERY encouraging!

I can't speak for San Antonio, Austin, or Houston, but I can tell you about DFW. I've lived here my whole life (28 years), in Irving specifically.

Now is Irving a good place for a shop...well that's debatable. I'm looking at it from more of a geographical standpoint. Let me just put that in perspective. I'm currently working out in Downtown Ft. Worth. It takes me about 45 minutes on a good day to get there. To get to Arlington...about 30 minutes. How about Downtown Dallas...25-30 minutes. Up to Lewisville...guess what, another 30 minutes. How about Frisco...yup 45 minutes. Plano is a good place too...45 minutes.

If you want a central location, Irving is a pretty good choice just due to how central it is to DFW. Is it the best location in terms of cost of living, the car scene, etc...I'd say probably not. You don't start seeing "the money" until you start getting to Las Colinas and the northern part of Irving (Valley Ranch for example).

Despite all that, there are TONS of car enthusiasts in DFW. Take Cars and Coffee for example. That meet is just absolutely ridiculous. If the weather is nice and you don't show up before 8am...don't even bother. It gets packed and everyone comes out of the woodworks. You have your muscle cars, classic cars, imports, exotics...you name it, it is there or has been there at some point. People come from all over to this meet. So there is definitely a LOT of potential just here in DFW.

I know from being over on EvoXForums that there is SOME representation in San Antonio, Austin, and Houston...but I don't think they have the same Evo representation that DFW has. They could very well have other car clubs that are comparable to NTEC or even blow it out of the water...I just don't know. That's something that someone from each of those cities would have to post about.

Having said all that...I CAN HAZ MAP IN DFW NAO?!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys remember if MAP gets a Texas office you get to pay the 8.25% sales tax...
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by goofygrin
Guys remember if MAP gets a Texas office you get to pay the 8.25% sales tax...
No shipping though, it pretty much evens out
MN sales tax is 7.25% and after moving what I was paying in sales tax was pretty much evened out by shipping charges.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kracka
No shipping though, it pretty much evens out
MN sales tax is 7.25% and after moving what I was paying in sales tax was pretty much evened out by shipping charges.

actually, no, it doesn't even come close to evening out. considering every vendor you buy parts from has free shipping usually, when you order a new intercooler online, free shipping. buy locally, tack 45 dollars onto your bill. buy a turbo kit, or a engine build, add another 300-400 dollars to your bill. since most of the stuff you buy is inexpensive, sure, shipping isn't free usually on small orders, and tax is minor.

and having looked for a shop location more then a few times, irving is absolutely horrible. arlington is no better, grand prairie, also horrible. all the central cities are riddled with crime, and run down buildings. additionally, its hard to find cities that even are zoned for automotive stuff in good locations.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
actually, no, it doesn't even come close to evening out. considering every vendor you buy parts from has free shipping usually, when you order a new intercooler online, free shipping. buy locally, tack 45 dollars onto your bill. buy a turbo kit, or a engine build, add another 300-400 dollars to your bill. since most of the stuff you buy is inexpensive, sure, shipping isn't free usually on small orders, and tax is minor.

and having looked for a shop location more then a few times, irving is absolutely horrible. arlington is no better, grand prairie, also horrible. all the central cities are riddled with crime, and run down buildings. additionally, its hard to find cities that even are zoned for automotive stuff in good locations.
People will pay for convenience. That's just human nature. Sure some won't and will take a cheaper price and waiting a week over paying more and having it right now, but having the convenience of being able to pick up a part the same day to fix whatever problem you may have...people will pay for that.

The only reason I threw Irving out there is simply from a geographical perspective. I don't know where you could put a shop but you can get to most places in DFW within 1 hour from Irving. However, if a shop has a good reputation and word of mouth, people will come no matter where it is.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
actually, no, it doesn't even come close to evening out. considering every vendor you buy parts from has free shipping usually.
Have you lived local to MAP then across the country from MAP? I have. Remember, "free" shipping is all factored into the website price...nothing is actually free. Buying local will save them money (postage, shipping materials, etc.) which in-turn will be passed along to the customer. The only time this wouldn't hold true is if the part is being drop-shipped from the manufacturer, but in those circumstances I've always known MAP to work with the local customers to make sure the price remains competitive.

Last edited by Kracka; Oct 24, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

There is certainly a lot more competition in the DFW area than in other parts of Texas, Alamo, EvoD, Cobb, MVP, Jotech, AWD, etc...
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:42 PM

Doesnt FP also have an AWD dyno?

There is also Mudpit Performance who kick *** with the DSMs and know the 4G63 inside and out. No dyno though.

Irving isnt great for a shop but Arlington isnt bad, especially south Arlington. There is Alamo and Low, Inc. in those areas that are flourishing. Garland has many shops and is minutes from downtown and the Plano area. Las Colinas is very nice, has a higher end demographic but comes with a higher price tag.

Hope anything Ive said can help

l8r,
PD
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

There are some great things about Dallas area. Less humidity than any other big city. A bit less heat.

From a business standpoint, you can get some cheap rent and have a nice shop. Plus only Texas has no mandatory requirement to purchase Workers Comp. There are other solutions.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I sincerely appreciate the insight guys, this is a great starting point in the decision making process. It sounds like there would be less competition in the other areas, but I love the fact that we've already got some loyal customers in the DFW area
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvilEvoXIII
Doesnt FP also have an AWD dyno?
Nope; I'm pretty sure they do most their dyno testing @ Cobb.

Quick Reply: Potential Second Location for MAP...NTEC Style ;)