Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas
View Poll Results: Where would you like to see MAP Texas based out of?
Houston
10.42%
San Antonio
11.11%
Dallas
52.78%
Austin
19.44%
Other
6.25%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Potential Second Location for MAP...NTEC Style ;)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does MAP do custom fabricating? I dont think we have anyone in the Dallas /FTW area that does that ATM?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check this out Latest fab @ MAP
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

WOw thats some impressive work. Very kewl. I'm gonna call you today about the EVO X one.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:02 PM

Grapevine, mostly because I need a job close to here, I can help on the dodge junk.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TxEvo8
There is certainly a lot more competition in the DFW area than in other parts of Texas, Alamo, EvoD, Cobb, MVP, Jotech, AWD, etc...
I wouldn't consider Alamo, jotech, or AWD as competition. Evod pretty much has the Evo scene on lock. I can't remember the last time I herd of someone taking their Evo or import for that matter to those places. Only real competition would be evod and cobb. A place that has a dyno, does installs, and custom fab all in one place with great pricing would do really good in Dallas. Jotech is no joke, charge an arm and a leg for everything. I remember I was going to extend the j pipe on my wastegate return because it was too short and jotech wanted 180$ to weld a1.5" piece of pipe on the end of it. Took it somewhere else and only paid 25$.

Lots of performance enthusiast in this area, look at the ricekiller meets. 600+ modified cars all gather up every freakin Monday and it's been going on for years. If map attended the ricekiller meets every now and then, it would get the name out QUICK to all other makes and models also.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05VIII
Lots of performance enthusiast in this area, look at the ricekiller meets. 600+ modified cars all gather up every freakin Monday and it's been going on for years. If map attended the ricekiller meets every now and then, it would get the name out QUICK to all other makes and models also.
I also mentioned Cars and Coffee in my post earlier. You really see a wide variety of cars at that event (modded and unmodded). Just goes to show what a diverse area DFW really is. If MAP was specifically dedicated to Evos and/or Subbies, yeah they might have a bit of trouble initially. However since they cater to practically everyone, I don't think they will have any kind of trouble here in DFW.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

i...like...evo...
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by 05VIII
I wouldn't consider Alamo, jotech, or AWD as competition.
There are plenty of people who have those companies work on their cars, they just aren't on forums.

As other have said, there's already a ton of AWD dynos in DFW, plenty of fab shops, etc. The more the merrier though
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks like we are looking around Dallas area. We will be in SEMA next week after that we will probably start putting together some ideas.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
That is awesome news! I'm definitely very excited for you guys.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm excited to see you big boy haha. I haven't seen you in awhile!
Old Oct 29, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

I say come to Austin, it is in the center of Texas, not to mention you will be closer to the biggest military base in the world, Ft. Hood. Many military servicemen and women have Evos, you will still be in Texas and there is always new Evos showing up and people looking to get mods. there are not many shops that are in the area. COBB just opened up in Austin cause they even saw that there is no real competition in the area.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Austin, middle of everything
Old Oct 29, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
1) Weather: Essentially we want to be somewhere that we can operate year round. I really like the average high temps in your area as its above 60 even in January! My only concern in this regard would be hurricanes, I know Houston isn't North Texas but if we decide on Houston would that be far enough away from the coast that I shouldn't be worrying about Hurricanes?
Hurricanes in Houston and tornado's in Dallas, therefore Austin or San Antonio would be better. In fact, one touched down a handful of miles from the shop I was getting my car worked on last weekend.

2) Competition: The focus of this endeavor will be based on service and dyno. From what I have heard the only AWD dyno in the area is Cobb in Plano, is that correct? What is out there in regards to service shops that cater to the Evolution??
You'll have most of your competition in DFW area. There are a few AWD dyno's scattered through Texas, but both Austin and San Antonio are lacking in shop support and service. For example, the one major shop in Central Texas that I know of doesn't even have it's own website....at least last I checked....and I've heard so much negative feedback about them that I drive 5 hours to Dallas to get my mods and tuning taken care of.

3) Population: You guys have four of the largest cities in the US within a few hours of each other; Houston, San Antonio, Dalls, and Austin. What insight can you provide me in regards to the demographics of those populations, where are all the Evo owners? Keep in mind we do work on other makes and models as well
Just my perception, but I'd say 40% DFW, 30% Houston, and 30% Central Texas(San Antonio/Austin)

4) Cost of Living: Is one area cheaper than another? I would assume that moving away from the major cities would yield cheaper rent, but would this be detrimental in regards to potential work? !
San Antonio is going to be on average noticeably cheaper than the other three.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 02:07 AM

DFW already has the awd dyno market on lock down. Houston is in need of some serious contenders for awd. Come on 4th largest city in the us and all we can do is take our cars to honda tuners? MAP needs to be in houston

Quick Reply: Potential Second Location for MAP...NTEC Style ;)