North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

EvoD surge tank

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krisiun
http://www.evodynamics.com/evodysutaex.html

Basic kit is $650, or $250 less than the MDR kit. I don't know if they will sell just the tank if that is what you are asking. Maybe Kevin or Josh will chime in, if not I am going by the shop tonight and can give you an update.
You also have to remember, the reason MDR's kit is $250 more is due to the location of the tank, it goes in the trunk. On Kd's site it says it attaches to the tank, so Im guessing his sending unit to tank lines are maybe at most 2 feet lol. MDR is also coming out with large tank capacties at request, as well as an evo8 and 9 setup.

Either way, very nice piece. It was soon to come, another surge tank production kit made in the USA, bolt on for the USA .
Old Dec 9, 2010, 06:42 PM

This surge tank mounts in the same location, but does use less fuel line because of where they mount the fuel pump.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't see a surge tank kit for the Evo VIII on the website... Sorry if I missed it.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 08:22 PM

I think they have only built one for the Evo x so far. I am not sure if the ct9a needs it. We have quite a few locals running stock tank without issues, but the EvoD race car has one so I am not 100% sure
Old Dec 9, 2010, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by krisiun
All I can say is damn. I will update a little more later, but for now, I ran the tank down until the refill light came on and never got fuel starvation. I was running on nt01's, cobb sways and ast coilovers so there was some definate g's generated.
Jeremy tracks his car with 1/8 tank all the time with the MDR surge tank kit on it. The capacity of this one looks to be similar, about 1 liter? Its a pretty simple proven design, so this one should perform the same. I recall that at one event the driver ran the car so low that it nearly ran out of gas on the tarmac between sessions.

Any one that is going to be running 420+hp on E85 will want to make sure they are running an upgraded in tank (oem) pump as well, or the surge tank won't stay full. If you're running less than that, or on gasoline, the OEM in tank seems to keep up pretty well.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

I believe that it is 1.5 liters.

This unit can be run on 8/9s; we do have starvation issues, just with a LOT less fuel in the tank, starting with more than a half tank cures it.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 07:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kozmic27
Any one that is going to be running 420+hp on E85 will want to make sure they are running an upgraded in tank (oem) pump as well, or the surge tank won't stay full. If you're running less than that, or on gasoline, the OEM in tank seems to keep up pretty well.

actually, the stock intank pump can supply fuel to VERY large setups utlizing a surge tank without an issue. because the intank pump runs at 0psi pressure, it actually flows more fuel then a walbro 255 at 50psi (10psi boost). the more boost you run, the easier it is to keep up.

in my race car i have a surge tank, but i also have a fuel cell, so its a little different setup then a standard evo 8/9. i have a single walbro 255 feeding a weldon DB2015 1000hp fuel pump. never had a problem.

we are already making the bracket for the evo 8/9, but for evo 8/9 its not nearly as much of a problem as the X's as jim pointed out. the only time my car ran dry was at below 1/4 tank on hard left turns.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is nice! rather than getting a twin in-tank walbro just go this route. its like hitting 2 birds with one stone.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza
this is nice! rather than getting a twin in-tank walbro just go this route. its like hitting 2 birds with one stone.
Exactly, much better option for those going BIG power, no matter what model.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza

yes i need that for my ix..
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
actually, the stock intank pump can supply fuel to VERY large setups utlizing a surge tank without an issue. because the intank pump runs at 0psi pressure, it actually flows more fuel then a walbro 255 at 50psi (10psi boost). the more boost you run, the easier it is to keep up.

in my race car i have a surge tank, but i also have a fuel cell, so its a little different setup then a standard evo 8/9. i have a single walbro 255 feeding a weldon DB2015 1000hp fuel pump. never had a problem.

we are already making the bracket for the evo 8/9, but for evo 8/9 its not nearly as much of a problem as the X's as jim pointed out. the only time my car ran dry was at below 1/4 tank on hard left turns.
Yeah, the X has the issue way worse than the 8/9's.

My stock in tank had no problem keeping up with a walbro 255 on E85. I started having fueling issues at 474 hp on a mustang. When I switched to a Bosch 44, the OEM in tank started having issues keeping up, however it kept up during dyno pulls without issue, at least to 500hp. During full 1/4 mile runs however it would start starving for fuel around the 1000 ft mark.

I am fairly sure that a 255 in tank set up like you have in your race car will have no problem keeping up with a Bosch 44, at least around the 500hp mark. Again this is on E85. On gasoline, the stock in tank pump has no problem keeping up all day, and a single walbro 255 is good for over 500hp as well with this system.

I am putting a fuel lab 41402 in over the holidays for testing. This pump has variable output with a controller built in. It should help with some of the issues regarding return system pressure build up under low fuel demand that X's can have when running high volume pumps (larger than a 255). While it isn't cheap, it isn't stupid expensive either. Keep your fingers crossed that it actually works the way we're hoping.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kozmic27
Yeah, the X has the issue way worse than the 8/9's.

My stock in tank had no problem keeping up with a walbro 255 on E85. I started having fueling issues at 474 hp on a mustang. When I switched to a Bosch 44, the OEM in tank started having issues keeping up, however it kept up during dyno pulls without issue, at least to 500hp. During full 1/4 mile runs however it would start starving for fuel around the 1000 ft mark.

I am fairly sure that a 255 in tank set up like you have in your race car will have no problem keeping up with a Bosch 44, at least around the 500hp mark. Again this is on E85. On gasoline, the stock in tank pump has no problem keeping up all day, and a single walbro 255 is good for over 500hp as well with this system.

I am putting a fuel lab 41402 in over the holidays for testing. This pump has variable output with a controller built in. It should help with some of the issues regarding return system pressure build up under low fuel demand that X's can have when running high volume pumps (larger than a 255). While it isn't cheap, it isn't stupid expensive either. Keep your fingers crossed that it actually works the way we're hoping.
are you sure you have yours setup right if your starving for fuel at only 475 whp? on a drag strip which is only going to last 12 seconds tops. a 1.5L tank will last quite a while. assume you have 1200cc injectors maxed out (would put you over 475whp no problem on e85), thats 4800cc/min, or 4.8L per minute. if you had nothing at all in the primary tank, you be able to run 20 seconds at WOT with the surge tank fuel only. now since your intank stock pump is still pumping, even if it was half of the flow (Which it is actually about the same flow), it will more then double your time. so just by simple math, something aint right if your starving for fuel on a 1/4 mile.

my car was quite a bit different, it was a fuel cell with a 255 external pump feeding the surge tank to a weldon pump (like double the size of a 044). it made 590whp on e85 and had no issues on much longer straights then 1/4 mile.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Is this the one Josh worked on for a good while?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:53 PM

i don't think so mackie. i think richard did the install