Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

I need a new fence

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a new fence

Anyone know anyone who does fences, or a company you have used in the past that does good work? Mine is falling apart and I'm too lazy to do it myself. It's going to be top of the list things to do for the new year, just need to see if I can get it done on the cheap.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Same, new fence is on deck for us next spring.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

i should just bail on this house and buy the one next to you. It's a nice house and would put me way closer to work. Then I wouldn't have to worry about my crap fence.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by justin81
i should just bail on this house and buy the one next to you. It's a nice house and would put me way closer to work. Then I wouldn't have to worry about my crap fence.
I saw moving trucks in front of that house today after work. Not sure if it sold yet or if they're just moving out in advance.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Terrible site, great guy: http://billjohnsonfences.com/

Was not the cheapest bid we got, but he has a very good reputation and we've been happy with it.

Here's a pic of ours before they started digging for the pool:
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:09 AM

When I lived in Plano I helped people in my neighborhood build 3 different fences (high end privacy type) and it's really not that difficult. You need a few guys, a gas auger, metal posts, hardware and wood (and beer). We built a fence for a really big yard in one weekend with 3 guys. We did the work for way less than half the bid we got for building the fence.

I know thats not the answer you were wanting but want to give you the heads up that its not terribly difficult to DIY.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by henrys
When I lived in Plano I helped people in my neighborhood build 3 different fences (high end privacy type) and it's really not that difficult. You need a few guys, a gas auger, metal posts, hardware and wood (and beer). We built a fence for a really big yard in one weekend with 3 guys. We did the work for way less than half the bid we got for building the fence.

I know thats not the answer you were wanting but want to give you the heads up that its not terribly difficult to DIY.
To counter that we built my neighbors' fences last summer and it was a month of suck. We had lots of caliche rock to deal with and we went through 4 drills screwing the fences together.

Their fences were within $1000 of mine and I didn't have to sweat at all
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

When you look at getting a fence decide how long you think you will live in the house.

There are many variables to getting a fence. Wood posts or Metal? Metal post if they are Stainless steel will last forever. Gavenized are next in cost and durablity then wood.

Then how far apart will the posts be. The more posts you have the longer it will last.

Then you have the cross members. Wood or Metal again.

Then lastly the Planks or Pickets. There are lots of wood choices. cedar, white pine, or a redwood. They all will last different times and warp or shrink.

One last thing. Nailing a fence with **** nails versus galvinized nails or screws.

So it boils down to how long your gonna be there/want the fence to last and how much money you have.

Also I highly recomend that you use Sherman Williams oil based water sealer on the fence will greatly improve its life as well. You cant use TOO much. My fence at my home is 7 years old and still looks great with no leaning or rotting either I spent right at $7500 on it

A solid fence will last 15 years plus. My folks fence has been standing for 18 and no leaning no rotting but it costs 10K. Others spend 3K and replace every three years.

Last edited by Supraboy1; Dec 16, 2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Give my friend a call. He just did 395 FT of board on board fence at my new hose and did a great Job. He had the best price and uses top notch wood.

Jeff @ 817-781-6534