Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Alamo Autosports in Arlington

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs down Alamo Autosports in Arlington

A big thanks to Alamo Autosports in Arlington for overcharging the me on some B.S. gaskets that I had to have for my turbo swap. They go for about $1 dollar for two at the Mitsubishi dealer ship and they charged me $5 a piece at Alamo. I just complained, paid and ran out the door before I though about it because I needed them badly yesterday.

Alamo you have lost a customer permantely.

I live very close so they are convinent for the little stuff but man. I will never buy anything from there again. Everytime I go I feel like I dropped the soap. Never again. I would rather not drive my car...
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
What gaskets are that cheap from Mitsu? Copper crush washers? Oil drain gaskets? It would help if you'd mention which gaskets exactly you're talking about.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
They been like that for years, how theyve stayed in business its beyond me.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
feel for ya man. iv been ripped of by them before also. but the truth is, if i ever need a part that day, alamo will have it in stock and i can just drive up and buy it.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05VIII
feel for ya man. iv been ripped of by them before also. but the truth is, if i ever need a part that day, alamo will have it in stock and i can just drive up and buy it.
not really in stock....more like, they will take if off another car and sell it to you....
Old Dec 31, 2010, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry for not being specific lol. The gaskets were for the oil return line from the turbo to the oil pan. FP sells them for $1 each. I think that my previous qoute of 2 for $1 was for a dsm but I am beginning to think they are the same.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

So you're upset you overpaid for something? Why didn't you just go to the dealer or FP then? Did you try negotiating with them? Sometimes convenience costs money...
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03
not really in stock....more like, they will take if off another car and sell it to you....
lol wouldn't doubt it. but nonetheless, they will have it

2 purchases that made me mad were Battery and gasket

my ams battery took a **** so i went to alamo for a similar battery in dimensions.
told him what they were and they gave me a braille. brice said it was exactly like the ams. well guess what, it wasnt and wouldnt fit in the tray.

the gasket i needed was a factory exhaust manifold to head gasket. got there, bought it, installed, and leaked. later on i found out factory evo gaskets are 4 layers. the one i got was 2 layers. It was wrapped up in mitsu packaging so i figured it was the correct one. NOPE.

oh and got charged 1000$ for a tune. they also said they had to fix a coolant leak at the turbo but how much time would that take really? all they did was put a wrench on it and tightened it a little more
they only altered the timing a little bit, left fuel stock. idled like crap and backfired every time i let off the gas.

but like i said, alamo will always be my last resort. if i ever need something ASAP and cant wait for shipping times, as much as i hate it, i will be heading to alamo.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

the gasket i needed was a factory exhaust manifold to head gasket. got there, bought it, installed, and leaked. later on i found out factory evo gaskets are 4 layers. the one i got was 2 layers. It was wrapped up in mitsu packaging so i figured it was the correct one. NOPE.
Mitsu makes 2 and 4-layer exhaust manifold gaskets.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Mitsu makes 2 and 4-layer exhaust manifold gaskets.
yeah kinda figured that out. but what are the 2 layer gaskets for? its not for an evo right?

and what i meant was i thought the one i received was for an evo, i knew it was a mitsu gasket for sure

Last edited by 05VIII; Dec 31, 2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

So you're upset you overpaid for something? Why didn't you just go to the dealer or FP then? Did you try negotiating with them? Sometimes convenience costs money...
Yes paying crazy high prices did upset me. I have been a customer for years. It seems like thay just make up prices. I did complain as I said. Fp is closed right now and I did not think they would be more expensive then the dealership. Hind sight is 20-20. This is not the first time they have ripped me just the last. In the future I plan to use companies that the group recommends and has a good tract record. Not just convient.

Last edited by mt057; Dec 31, 2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

yeah kinda figured that out. but what are the 2 layer gaskets for? its not for an evo right?
Not sure. Maybe Evo vs. DSM? I know I've used both when doing swaps and never had an issue with either. Kind of seems like a crap shoot when getting a new one from the dealer.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

What gaskets are that cheap from Mitsu? Copper crush washers? Oil drain gaskets? It would help if you'd mention which gaskets exactly you're talking about.
Help what? Whats the diffrence?
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:32 PM

Just to throw it into the mix, I've been an Alamo customer several times. It has proven true that, if you need something, it just happens to be in stock over there. (as for the turbo oil return to oil pan, I just had a sheet of gasket material from autozone or something, and cut myself a new one. worked great.) I have found also that ther best way to get good results with Alamo is to maintain the appearance that time is not important to you. Let them finish their conversations or whatever, and let them get to you, and you get no Ills. As for shoddy business, I had made it a point to be present for all work done to my car, and had a good idea of pricing for all the litle things to be replaced (and did a quick internet search for pricing after recieving an itemized reciept for work and parts) and it all checked out. I've got a few parts that I recieved a good deal on through working with Brice, and, though I cannot account for everything that goes on, just want to mention my business with them was not to end on a sour note.
Tl; DR,
no problems with Alamo Motorsports yet. Good luck getting EVO stuff anywhere that is affordable AND in stock.
Ps,
MT057, you know, in hind sight, maybe they did make up some of the prices on the spot. I guess some got the luckier side of the guess. Cheers, man. As long as you're up and running now!
Old Jan 2, 2011, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Lol Murphy's Law ended up biting me in the butt because I now need a new stud for btwn the o2 housing to the turbo. I will not be going back up to Alamo for anything though. I had been going up there for about 5 years. First with my Conquest TSI and now my Evo. I am going to drive up to FP tomorrow to have them check out my turbo and purchase anything else I need to replace it.

I simply need to be patient in the future. I do DD my car but have access to others that I can borrow in case of emergency. Or I can drive my work vehicle(box truck).

I have to agree that the more despret you appear the more stuff seems to cost. I will simply purchase a gasket sheet from the parts store next time. To tell you the truth the more I look around, the more I don't need Alamo for any parts. I was just being lazy and depending on them. Sometimes bad experiences can cause good things. Bad experiences drove me to learn to tune, now to be patient and look for alternate sources for parts. In the future I will be better educated and source things from reputable dealers with fair prices.

Quick Reply: Alamo Autosports in Arlington