Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Good Floor Jack

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirana
I had the aluminum one from HF. Under heavy use it's a little weak since it's only 1 1/2 ton. But they sell the next size, also aluminum with 2 pistons for like $129.00. Extremely strong and reliable.

I've have the AC Delco aluminum 3000lb for about 5 years, works great. Just bought the Harbor Freight aluminum 4000lb last week. Only one downside I've found so far on this one is the jack pad doesn't rotate like the smaller one.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justin81
I've never done the pads before but I'm going to basically follow the two videos Jose posted on EXF and follow their how to. Any tricks or tips I you guys know of?
I picked this punch set up for like $4 at Harbor Freight and I really like them. They are cupped on the end so when you hammer out the pins you won't slip off of the end.

I also use Prothane Jack Stand Pads to keep from breaking through the paint underneath on the pinch welds. If you got your jack stands at Harbor Freight, they have some pads that fit them. I have used some old tire sidewall and it works great too.

Old Jan 21, 2011, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiliconTek
I picked this punch set up for like $4 at Harbor Freight and I really like them. They are cupped on the end so when you hammer out the pins you won't slip off of the end.

I also use Prothane Jack Stand Pads to keep from breaking through the paint underneath on the pinch welds. If you got your jack stands at Harbor Freight, they have some pads that fit them. I have used some old tire sidewall and it works great too.

Thanks for the tips man! I'll have to pick those up tomorrow morning. I totally forgot about punches. What pads did you end up going with? I meant to ask you at the meet but forgot. I went with the RB ET500s after a lot of good reviews.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justin81
Thanks for the tips man! I'll have to pick those up tomorrow morning. I totally forgot about punches. What pads did you end up going with? I meant to ask you at the meet but forgot. I went with the RB ET500s after a lot of good reviews.
Carbotech XP10/XP8
Old Jan 21, 2011, 09:36 PM

Do not track the rb et500, they will not last. Matthew and myself ran et800's and killed them in one weekend. For the street the et500's are ok, but you will kill them on the toad course
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Frankly I wouldn't recommend the et500s for the street either. I've had a couple cases where I needed to stop in a big hurry, and the brakes did not translate that sense of urgency very well.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:02 AM

For the street I run magic pads and they are awesome. I have had them for both the ix and x and have never had a problem. They lasted over 40k on the ix and still look brand new on the X, even after multiple runs up into the cascades and grandbury. They do not dust as much as stock, but they do still dust.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I had the Magics on my IX and still have them on the WRX...to be frank, they blow. Both Janelle and I hate them. Their friction level is very inconsistent as they heat up plus they dust quite a bit consider the type of pad they're supposed to be. I'd take the OEM pads over those things any day.

I ran the ET500's on my IX and loved them for both street and autocross. Zero dust, zero noise, and better bite than the OEM Brembo pads. When the X needs pads I'll either be going with ET500's again or trying out EBC's "new" Red compound.