Old Mar 16, 2011, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCCA Solo Event #2 - Lone Star Park - April 10, 2011

Be there or be...

Lone Star Park1000 Lone Star Parkway, Grand Prairie, TX
Map to Site

All times are Approximate Registration & Tech 7:30AM-8:30AM MANDATORY
Drivers Meeting 9:00AM First Runs Start 9:30AM Trophies at conclusion of runs 4:30 PM Registration Information
The Lone Star lot is a large lot of asphalt. The course is a smooth surface. Cones will be placed on the lot to make a challenging course to drive. Most events have 4 runs per driver. The Texas Region uses all the National approved classes and the supplemental classes also. Quite working mufflers are required.
PRE-PREP - Before leaving home

Clean your car out thoroughly, this includes glove boxes and pockets.

Your car will need to pass a TECH (Safety) inspection before you are allowed to compete. Your battery must be properly secured (not sliding around in its tray), all tires must have a measurable amount of tread (no cord showing) and the car can not be leaking fluids.

Helmets meeting the following standards must be worn while on course:
All helmets meeting the latest or two immediately preceding Snell Foundation standards (SA2010, SAH2010, SA2005, SA2000, M2010, M2005, M2000, K2010, K2005, K98), SFI standards 31.1, 41.1, 31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, 41.2A or British spec BS6658-85 type A/FR are accept- able.
Formula Junior drivers must use helmets meeting the above, SFI 24.1 (Youth Helmets), Snell CMR2007 (Children’s Motorsports Restricted), or Snell CMS2007 (Children’s Motorsports Standard) specifications.

You will be in the sun/rain for the full day, so come prepared for it. Comfortable clothes and covered shoes are a must.

Food is usually available near the sites we frequent, however you will probably want to pack a lunch and plenty of water.

Highly suggested items include
  • Lunch (of your choice)
  • Water and other liquids (No Alcohol! This includes spectators.)
  • Sunscreen
  • Sunglasses
  • Hat (of your choice)
  • Umbrella (good for sun as well as rain)
  • Tire pressure gage

A DAY WITH THE SCCA

A suggested arrival time is between 7:30 and 8:30. The course is normally ready to walk between 8:30 and 9:00.
REGISTRATION

Find the Registration table near the timing trailer. Let them know this is your first time out, and they will help you through the waivers and worker assignments. Remember to wear and display the arm band they provide. If you need to make any class or number changes this is the time to do it. Don't just change your number or class without telling the registration people. That can hold up the event if you make a change and not tell anyone.

IN THE PITS

Once in your pit space you need to prepared the car for inspection. Floor mats, hub caps and all loose items must be removed. Be prepared to store your items from wind and rain. Introduce yourself to your neighbors. Ask them any questions you have. People really do help each other at autocrosses.
TECH INSPECTION

After you have checked in at registration locate the Tech Inspection area. This is normally a number of cars in line and it is fairly apparent as to where this is located. If not ask around the pits and someone should be able to point it out. Put your car in line and wait for the Tech Inspector to check your car (and helmet if you have one). Remember that you normally run tire pressures higher than you do on the street. Ask the tech inspector for a starting pressure for your car. If you see someone else at the event with the same type of car ask them what pressures they run. Most people will tell you. Remember to have your car numbers and class on the car before you go to tech. The numbers and class should be visible from a good distance and of contrasting color. Don't use duct tape. Blue painters trim tape works well and generally does not leave adhesive on the paint.
COURSE WALKS

For the first timer it can appear to be a "sea of cones". As you walk, put yourself in your car and visualize what it would look like from behind the wheel. When walking the course, watch others and ask lots of questions from those around you. Most will tell you their ideas or will tell you they don't know. You don't have to know where every cone is. Just a few of the key important cones. These are the ones in the center of a corner or the entrance and exit of a corner. Remember the number of paces between cones in a slalom. This will help you judge speed from event to event. A 19 pace slalom is tight and hard to drive for large cars. Something that is 24 paces or more is quicker and easier. Generally a tighter line is the fastest way around a corner.
NOVICE WALK THROUGH

For the first timer, A MUST. Listen for the announcement for Novis Walk Thru. Gather at the start line when they announce it. The walk Thru is normally given by a National Champion or National Trophy winner. Listen carefully to what these folks have to say. Number one suggestion for the Novice walk through; Try and walk near the front. This makes it easier to hear and see what they are talking about.
DRIVER'S MEETING

The mandatory Driver's Meeting is scheduled for 9:30, this is required! They will make specific information event announcements. Such as where Grid is located, all safety announcements, identify key personnel, and any changes to the planned event operations.
RUN/WORK GROUPS

The event is broken into heats. Usually four to five depending on the number of entrants for the day. You are required to work one heat the exception is in the case of you working Registration, Tech. or course design or setup. An example of a run work designation would be. Your class is assigned to Run 2nd/Work 4th. This means you will drive in the second heat and work during the fourth heat.
For more details on what to bring to an event, classes and what to expect at an autocross see the our FAQ and Solo Event Tips Page .
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

I am definitely down with this one. I like Lone Star park because of the elevation changes which makes it more interesting.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

This sounds like a fun event. I will check my schedule.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
I am definitely down with this one. I like Lone Star park because of the elevation changes which makes it more interesting.
You still going to be rocking the same street tires?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

what's the story peeps?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

I was going to have the following weekend's bus lot AutoX be my first, but I may do both!

On TX Region SCCA's website, it says they have a "few" loaner helmets. Does anyone have an idea if I'll be able to snag one when I show up? Also, do you normally register there, or online. I read that you can register and pay at the event, but am wondering if I can still reserve a helmet this way.

If I can't do both (just bought a house and am pretty busy with moving), which is better for a beginner like myself: LSP or Bus Lot?

Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bus lot... less tire wear.

And the helmets are on a table. When you take a run you grab one. When you're done with the run you return it. No need to reserve.

I'd say sign up online. It does two things: you won't forget money and you'll be more likely to make it there than if you woke up and said "too early" if you'd not prepaid. Plus you don't have to stand in line...
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome, thank you. I'll sign up for the bus lot for sure, but remain undecided about LSP since I'll be busy with the auto show the day before.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiliconTek
You still going to be rocking the same street tires?
Yes, I haven't bought anything yet. I had some surprise bills this last weekend. My German Shepherd had her puppies and there were some complications.

I could have bought a brand new set of Hoosiers for what I've dropped on dogs, puppies, and their well being and care in the last week!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

This is where all my money went over the last week. How can you say no?? We have six of these. They haven't even opened their eyes yet.

Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Sell puppies for Hoosiers?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
Sell puppies for Hoosiers?
Not a bad plan... JEREMY! Man I want to hear all about your new Evo...
Old Mar 29, 2011, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Man I want a german shepherd puppy but wife keeps saying no.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justin81
Man I want a german shepherd puppy but wife keeps saying no.
I do too! I just wanted one ACTUALLY from Germany with a good lineage...In the end, it would have been cheaper than having a baby...so now I will wait and let the kiddo strong-arm mom into letting me have one later.

Hey Jeremy, how many did she have and are you selling them all?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiliconTek
Hey Jeremy, how many did she have and are you selling them all?
She had 9. Unfortunately, 3 have died leaving 4 males and 2 females.

One female is spoken for, one male might be going to a local police department to be a police dog, and we're thinking about keeping two of the males.

That leaves one male and one female who will definitely be for sale soon. If we decide to only keep one male then the other will be for sale as well.

When they grow up, their markings and coloring will become more identifiable and will eventually look like this...

Attached Thumbnails SCCA Solo Event #2 - Lone Star Park - April 10, 2011-grizzly-2.jpg   SCCA Solo Event #2 - Lone Star Park - April 10, 2011-mickey.jpg  

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Mar 30, 2011 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo Event #2 - Lone Star Park - April 10, 2011