Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

NTEC 3rd Tuesday meet - 5/17/11 @ 7pm

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so no pictures??? when i start making these meets there will be pictures every time!!!!!
Old May 19, 2011, 09:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kracka
The club has been "overrun" by X's because those are the only guys who actually show up. Kelly, Mark, and a few others still show up to most meets and many of us other X owners used to have an VIII or IX.
they are very different cars, and i think thats why the two "groups" don't mingle well. for instance, if i have an evo 8, and ask what cams your using on your X, it doesn't translate into anything i would be using on my 8. that alone kills a lot of the discussion you get at the meets. as the 8/9 guys don't show up, when your occasional guy does show up, he has no one to talk to about mods to do to his car.

when sean, ethan and jason/cody ran the meets, it felt a little more formal, with the leader giving a run down of the events upcoming, future event organization, and the discussion was "directed". the last meet i was at, it felt informal. basically just talking amongst ourselves.. sure the upcoming events and news were discussed, but it was more of a group discussion. i don't think there is anything wrong with the informal discussion and a general meet + hang out, but just like in high school, we break off into subgroups, we talk to the people we see and know the most and aren't engaged to talk with other people at the meet. i think this is where the 8/9 guys start no showing. the usual guys attending the meets are X people, an 8/9 guy shows up and doesn't have anyone to really talk mods to, hes not likely to show up again.

the lack of participation in general for the monthly meet suffered when we started moving locations a bunch from the dickies BBQ meet. progressively the meet got smaller and smaller. the people most likely to attend dispite moving the venue are new evo owners (X/RA), and thus we have where we are today

the biggest monthly meets i ever attended were with ethan and sean leading. however, i know both of them spent a LOT of time "leading". meaning they ended up taking charge of the events themselves. they had discussion material ready, organized parking, arrangements for rooms, etc..
thus, ethan and sean burned out on leading pretty quickly because its a fruitless job (and i would imagine its like herding cats). aside from having large meets, they were spending a lot of time and get nothing out of it.

Chris from my persective, puts much of the organizing into our own hands. if you want a meet, make a post and do it (which will bring a few cars, but rarely the "big meet"). the good thing about this is that chris isn't going to burn out as fast as other guys, so leadership is more stable, and it even promotes other people to participate instead of relying on a leader.

the monthly meets can be fun, but the best meets i have ever been to were the picnic we had a couple years ago, one of the original don herring track days, and the grand opening we had at my shop a couple years ago.

of those, the don herring track day is expensive, takes a lot of organizing. my grand opening was also pretty expensive and took a lot of time to prepare.

the picnic however, wasn't very expensive. parking and food were all that were required, and its something we could easily do again to get 8/9 and X/RA participation again. no, i'm not volunteering to organize it
Old May 19, 2011, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Any meet is what you as the individual make of it. Chris has had both a 9 and a X and is familiar with both and can and does share of lot of info about each.

Mark shows up often and has both as well, and its always interesting to hear about his race car.

If you show up regularly people will get to know you and talk with you about what you do, where you work, your hobbies etc etc.

Its a great place to meet mew people, make some friends and if nothing else enjoy a meal with people that enjoy driving a spirited car regardless of the model.

We have had a 350Z, a 370Z and a BMW show up.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Kevin is pretty much correct on my "leadership" style; I like to keep things informal and in the hands of the members. This is a fun car club, not a mandatory work event. If anyone has concerns or questions about the direction of the club please talk to me about it; PM, phone, in person, email...doesn't matter to me. If you want to organize an event and need the NTEC blessing or want some assistance then great, I'll definitely do what I can to help! I love the idea of doing a NTEC picnic this summer and will look into doing one. I'd appreciate if one of the more senior members who attended the first picnic could lend me some details so I have a place to start.

Regarding the switching of meeting spots, yes, it can get frustrating, but it's consistently been at Sonny Bryan's BBQ for nearly a year now. When I first moved to TX it was at Johnny's Burgers (or something like that) which I got nothing but complaints about (food, location, etc.). From there I've tried to stick with a somewhat centralized location which conveniently is near Don Herring - Irving.

Also, a lot more goes into being a leader than just organizing events; I've also gotten us t-shirts, our own classifieds thread, self-contained moderation privileges, now a motorsports sub-section, etc. I can't do everything, and again, if someone is looking to do a certain type of event then spearhead the task and set it up!

With all that said, please remember our 4th newb modding day and 2nd dyno-day (since I've taken over) are both taking place in the upcoming weeks!
Old May 19, 2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
Any meet is what you as the individual make of it....

Its a great place to meet mew people, make some friends and if nothing else enjoy a meal with people that enjoy driving a spirited car regardless of the model.
True true. We had 4 or 5 of us at the midnight showing for Fast Five. It was cool to see new faces and similar cars, even if just to see a movie.

I thought Tuesday's meet went fine. Speaking as a someone who had only gone to one other "minor" event (the Fast Five movie night), I thought the informal approach was perfect. It wasn't intimidating at all and the people were friendly and talkative.

Last edited by Bullett; May 19, 2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old May 20, 2011, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I <3 newbz