Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Captain America

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain America

Midnight showing tonight at Cinemark Legacy off 75, 12:03 am (for the 2D version). Who's in?

(Short notice, I know. But I forgot the movie was even coming out until I was at work two days ago.)
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:51 AM

If I could afford it, I'd be there. lol
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bullett
Midnight showing tonight at Cinemark Legacy off 75, 12:03 am (for the 2D version). Who's in?

(Short notice, I know. But I forgot the movie was even coming out until I was at work two days ago.)
I would but I'm taking my kids Friday. Report back how it compares to green lantern and iron man 2
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:10 PM

Well we missed the midnight showing because I overslept. But I was able to exchange the tickets for the first matinee of today.

To report on the movie's quality is tough. Obviously I liked it. The movie was good, although clearly done in an "origin story" style. There was a lot of story, but the action once he becomes Captain America was a bit abbreviated. A sweet lil' gift awaits after all the credits roll, though. I was expecting an "extra scene" like Marvel movies are used to showing these days, but it was a bit more than that.

As for its comparisons to the Green Lantern.....tough call. See between the two, I've read tons of GL comics, as a stack sits 3 feet to my right on my book shelf. So I wasn't blown away by the GL movie. It wasn't horrible, but they just changed a bit too much of the story for my liking. Sure, they do that with most comic movies, but in this case the changes were glaring...partly because of the aforementioned stack of books to my right. You can get away with changing the character, or his back story. Not both. In GL, they changed way too much.

As for Captain America, this is actually the third Captain America movie I've seen. The previous two being in the 80's and 90's. So, my excitement was counterbalanced by the "yes I know...he's given serum...he gets cool abilities....move on to the butt-kickin'."

All in all, it was good. I did like Captain America more so than GL because of the attention to details. That and the acting was much more of what I was expecting of Captain America. (One of my main gripes about GL was the fact that they kinda took Kyle Rayner's attitude and shoe-horned it into Hal Jordan's character which any comic nerd will tell you is a huge no-no.)

I'd say Captain America would be about a B+ to an A-. Had they given a bit more action, it would be better. But they still did well with it.

Though so far, for the new generation of Marvel movies, I'd have to rate them in this order: Iron Man 1 &2, Thor, The Incredible Hulk, and Captain America. Many who see that will be confused, because The Incredible Hulk doesn't rate high with a lot of folks. I loved it though. I got a big grin when he jumped up and said "Hulk......SMASH!"

Anyway, when you toss GL into that list...it's a distant 5th place. They just changed too much.

Hopefully The Avengers will hit the screens before the coming "emo/twilight comic movie apocalypse." I saw a trailer for the Spiderman "reboot" movie coming next year and on the page it was on, one commenter said it looked like they gave the vampire from twilight a Spiderman costume. It was.....head-shakingly bad.

Last edited by Bullett; Jul 22, 2011 at 12:13 PM.