Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Going for a record...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going for a record...

I clearly must be going for a record. I got my 2011 RA on April 20th, and have now (as of today) been pulled over 3 times. Twice (including today) with a ticket and once with just a warning.

You know, it really wouldn't bug me if I'd earned the ticket. I've done my share of ticket-worthy driving, especially since getting this car. But the two tickets I've gotten so far have been chicken s#!^ speed trap tickets.

Today's was the award winner, though. On the feeder road to 75 in Plano, in the lane that is exactly halfway between an off-ramp and an on-ramp. Hmm...might someone in this lane either be in the process of slowing down from freeway speeds or in the process of accelerating to those same freeway speeds so they can merge onto the freeway? Gosh...I'd think so.

Oh well, a quick trip out to my lawyer's office and it's handled, for now. By now, my lawyer should give me a plaque or a set of steak knives or something. It's clearly time to invest in the radar detector/laser jammer combo. This is getting ridiculous.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

it's just bad luck man. i keep thinking about a detector but the noise is just annoying. the last one i had i just unplugged because I hate the constant beeping.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

I got out of a laser ticket last Thursday, I was doing a bit over, 30mph over and got a warning because he saw my nose dive. Wrote me up for front plate. I never leave home without this...for those that say they don't work against laser, I have gotten out of 4 with it.

Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justin81
it's just bad luck man. i keep thinking about a detector but the noise is just annoying. the last one i had i just unplugged because I hate the constant beeping.
You can turn the volume down...

I have had mine for so long, I smash the brake pretty much instinctively every time it goes off. That is really the only way you can condition yourself to using one. It beeps, smash brake, hit mute button, and move on. The newer ones use GPS to map out the false signals, so you pretty much only get a warning with valid signals. You know, we usually do about 90-120+ going to MW.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiliconTek
You can turn the volume down...
You know, we usually do about 90-120+ going to MW.
Yours has saved us multiple times on the way to MW. How much was that one? Is it hard wired?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Effective September 1 st no more laser jammers can be installed into cars. Also with a radar detector you get what you far for. Enough said for those total cheap asses.

http://www.1stradardetectors.com/bes...ctor/index.php

All the info you need above
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by justin81
I had a cheap-o one when I was in the Air Force. I got it at my last training base (Maryland) and used it to drive from there back home. All it did was make me drive slower than the speed limit because it kept going off every two seconds.

The stink of it was, I was using it in my friends car over New Year's once when I was home on leave and got nailed anyway. The thing didn't make a peep until the cop was sitting behind me writing the ticket. I snatched it off the window and threw it into the floor board. That's the last time I owned one.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
Effective September 1 st no more laser jammers can be installed into cars. Also with a radar detector you get what you far for. Enough said for those total cheap asses.

http://www.1stradardetectors.com/bes...ctor/index.php

All the info you need above
That blows. But from my research, the wording of the bill looks so vague you never know what's legal and what ain't. Supposedly it says as of Sept. 1, it's illegal to "install" one but you know that just means you'll get harassed no matter what.

Either way, you'll have court proceedings to deal with. But then that's where I'm at now. I've had....I think an even dozen tickets since I've been home from the military. All "handled" by my lawyer.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

I have taken three trips this summer so far. A 2800 mile trip, a 1000 mile trip and a 500 mile trip and when traveling those distances I like to drive at least 80 plus. My passport saved my *** from 10 tickets. I'm certainly not gonna say you cant get a ticket with one.. But if you get just TWO saves... its worth every penny.

Radar detectors don't last forever. They are after all electronics and just like any other electronics its either outdated within a year maybe 2 or it needs to be updated, etc etc. They are put through a lot of abuse. Vibration, extreme heat, humidity changes.

Also keep in mind cops are not stupid... They know travelers have radar detectors and will tune their guns sightly out of the FCC allowed frequency specifically so the average detector wont even pick them up. So make sure you have a good one that compensates for that as well. Few of them do.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
I have taken three trips this summer so far. A 2800 mile trip, a 1000 mile trip and a 500 mile trip and when traveling those distances I like to drive at least 80 plus. My passport saved my *** from 10 tickets. I'm certainly not gonna say you cant get a ticket with one.. But if you get just TWO saves... its worth every penny.

Radar detectors don't last forever. They are after all electronics and just like any other electronics its either outdated within a year maybe 2 or it needs to be updated, etc etc. They are put through a lot of abuse. Vibration, extreme heat, humidity changes.

Also keep in mind cops are not stupid... They know travelers have radar detectors and will tune their guns sightly out of the FCC allowed frequency specifically so the average detector wont even pick them up. So make sure you have a good one that compensates for that as well. Few of them do.
Yeah. These last couple of months have just been glaring signs that suggest I need to get off my butt and find the best detector I can.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bullett
Yeah. These last couple of months have just been glaring signs that suggest I need to get off my butt and find the best detector I can.
I refer u back to my link
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:10 PM

Ugh. This is what I'm scared the most about. I can lose my job if I get too many tickets. Gotta be super careful. I hope your luck changes soon!

I used to have a Passport 8500, and it worked perfect for about 6 months and then died. Let me know what you decide to get and how it works!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by BambiTLK
Ugh. This is what I'm scared the most about. I can lose my job if I get too many tickets. Gotta be super careful. I hope your luck changes soon!

I used to have a Passport 8500, and it worked perfect for about 6 months and then died. Let me know what you decide to get and how it works!
Too many tickets, or too many convictions? If you take the ticket to a lawyer and he handles it for you, it's as though you never got one at all. My official record says my last ticket was in '03. My lawyer's record tells quite a different story.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:52 PM

I'm required by my company to report (in writing) any traffic violations within 24 hours. They assign their own "points" separate from what the state actually charges you...From what I understand, if you can get it dropped and you don't tell them about it, then you're good. But if you don't report it and they find out about it (even if it's dropped later), then they can fire you for it. I drive a lot of customer vehicles and some company vehicles, so I understand why they're careful...but it still makes me paranoid.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by BambiTLK
I'm required by my company to report (in writing) any traffic violations within 24 hours. They assign their own "points" separate from what the state actually charges you...From what I understand, if you can get it dropped and you don't tell them about it, then you're good. But if you don't report it and they find out about it (even if it's dropped later), then they can fire you for it. I drive a lot of customer vehicles and some company vehicles, so I understand why they're careful...but it still makes me paranoid.
Man...talk about strict.

Quick Reply: Going for a record...